PDA

View Full Version : Case Trimmers? Case gauges?

bigarm
11-28-2014, 11:02 PM
I guess I will need a case trimmer for 30-30 and 45-70 cases when I load them. I have a Giraud tri way trimmer for .223 which was fairly expensive. I need to go inexpensive at this time. What suggestions do you have?

Also, how about case gauges?

Artful
11-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Possum hollow trimmer is about the cheapest of that style...
https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/KWICK_CASE_TRIMMERS.html

gages - Wilson has best selection -
for handgun calibers Lyman or Dillon about same price

bigarm
11-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Anyone used this one it seems pretty cheap in price: http://www.opticsplanet.com/smart-reloader-vbsr01607-bench-rest-bench-rest-case-trimmer-1-all-n-a.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=PLA&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&utm_campaign=%7BOrderItemID%7D

XxWoodsHunterxX
11-29-2014, 01:21 AM
I use a Wilson with used case holder. They make a new case holder which I bought thinking I'd need but can get by with just one or the other

USAFrox
11-29-2014, 03:01 AM
I use the World's Finest Trimmer (http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html), which I love. You chuck it in your drill, and it makes very short work of repeatably trimming your cases.

troyboy
11-29-2014, 12:18 PM
The original Lee trimmer system works. It is inexpensive and trims to the same length every time.

Drdarrin
11-29-2014, 01:12 PM
The original Lee trimmer system works. It is inexpensive and trims to the same length every time.

+1 on this suggestion. These are all I use, in conjunction with a drill press.

fast ronnie
11-29-2014, 01:25 PM
I happen to have a mill (have a machine shop), but a drill press works just as good. I've been using a a forster drill press setup. Trying to buy it from a friend. Don't know if they are still available, but have been using a shell holder from a lyman trimmer mounted in a steel block in the mill vice before that. I use a counterbore with a pilot to fit case neck. A couple days ago, i made some .270 cases into 7 x 57. I cut about 1/8" off 220 cases in less than an hour. (I bandsawed almost a 1/4" off first). I know most don't have the equipment I have, but like they said in basic training (If ya got 'em!)

EDG
11-29-2014, 01:32 PM
The ordinary Forster trimmer is about the most versatile on the market.
After you get it you need collets and pilots.
There are only 4 collets so once you get all the collets you only need pilots.
Then you can trim almost anything from a .22 Hornet to a .458 Lott.

country gent
11-29-2014, 01:43 PM
I made the forrester style drill press base using the body and collet from an old rcbs case trimmer I got in a box of parts I bought. And use a lee cutter with a shortened pilot to cut down on spindle travel. I also had to make a new stop and the original ( plastic pparts and metal screws) had to much spring to it. Mine is a piece of 1/4 X 6 x 6 for a base. The I believe a upright 1 X4 x 4 bore a hole / radious down front edge and you need a relief cut 1- 1 1/2? high and deep enoug to allow the nut and rod end to turn. To lock collet. these can be welded together or bolted mine is bolted ( no warpage to deal with and I could take apart to modify it as needed. One plus might be drilling and tapping a hole deep behind collet that clears chuck to use with a plate on spindle or a stop other than whats on the drill press. I use a Lee cutter with the pilots cut down to 1/4" long or so this saves spindle travel and allows for better motion.

Dan Cash
11-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Some of you guys are way creative. Me, I have to buy it so I buy Forsters. I do make my own power adapters but when I need a case trimmed, I get it done.

dragon813gt
11-29-2014, 06:05 PM
The ordinary Forster trimmer is about the most versatile on the market.
After you get it you need collets and pilots.
There are only 4 collets so once you get all the collets you only need pilots.
Then you can trim almost anything from a .22 Hornet to a .458 Lott.

Some cases require a special collet to be made. 7.62x54R is one such cartridge. There are also different length bases so order accordingly. Obviously the shorter ones won't handle the long magnums. It's still a very versatile tool as you neck ream, neck turn and hollwpoint bullets w/ the appropriate adapters.

lightman
11-30-2014, 01:55 PM
I used the Lyman Universal trimmer for years and the universal shell holder is a nice feature. Buy the carbide cutter when you can. The Lee case cage/cutter is cheap and works well. I use them with a cordless drill.

EDG
12-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Compared to almost any other trimmer you can do more with less with a Forster trimmer.
I have never needed the longer base since there are multiple holes on the collet head and cutter bearing that allows a longer spacing. I picked up a short base for it once about 15 years ago. I have never had an occaision where it was needed.
I have never reloaded a 7.62X54R so I don't think it is much of a handicap. But I have reloaded for about 50 other rounds and the only one that I have to trim some other way is the .50-70 Govt.

Did I mention that Forsters have been in production so long that they are commonly found used in nearly new condition for $20 to $30.

Some cases require a special collet to be made. 7.62x54R is one such cartridge. There are also different length bases so order accordingly. Obviously the shorter ones won't handle the long magnums. It's still a very versatile tool as you neck ream, neck turn and hollwpoint bullets w/ the appropriate adapters.

jimbull34
12-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I ran into this situation a while back also, what to buy. I do a lot of 223 shooting and load about 1=2k rounds per month. My ar, an American Tactical, is very touch about the length of the neck of the reloaded rounds, so they need to be trimmed to exactly 1.750, I do mine to 1.748 and they work great. Got ahead of myself there, so not finding what I was looking for I made my trimmer which goes into my drill press and works great. The first ones that I made, the length is set by moving the end mill. Not real accurate and takes time to set up, so I designed a shoulder indexing precision trimmer. Aluminum body that holds a 3/8 four fluted end mill and a shell holder that is machined from 12L14 steel with a nylon insert and this screws into the body of the die and is held in place by a set screw when you get the length set where you want it. The selling point about this setup is that instead of being caliber specific, meaning only one caliber per die, this one you just replace the indexing holder for the caliber of your choice. What all this means is cost savings. I make the complete die for $95 and the indexing shoulders for $45...123524

bigarm
12-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Sounds interesting. Do you have a web site or just more information? What cases do you make them for?

Drdarrin
12-03-2014, 10:01 PM
I use the Lee trimmers ( <$10.00/cartridge) and my drill press. The cutter and pilot is chucked into the spindle. I do the same thing with the chamfer reamer. Works pretty slick, it's easy and fast.

FISH4BUGS
12-04-2014, 07:12 PM
I use a Forster with an electric screwdriver adapter. Works slick as all get out. Over a number of sessions, I have trimmed 3000 223 and 1000 308 cases.

Mk42gunner
12-05-2014, 03:26 AM

+2 on this.

I loathe and detest trimming brass and of all the ways I have done it the Lee system turned by an electric drill is the simplest and easiest by far.

Robert

FISH4BUGS
12-05-2014, 07:44 AM
+2 on this.

I loathe and detest trimming brass and of all the ways I have done it the Lee system turned by an electric drill is the simplest and easiest by far.

Robert
Winters are long and cold here in New Hampshire. The man cave gets a fair amount of use in the winter casting, loading and and brass prep.
Maybe I am mentally ill, but I rather enjoy brass prep. I will take maybe 1000 milsurp brass at a time, and do all one step at a time on the whole bunch. First resize and deprime. Then I will swage if needed. Then I will trim on the Forster. Having the electric screwdriver adapter makes all the difference in the world. Then deburring/chamfering. Then you have 1000 prepped cases.
The good part of doing this by hand is that you get to inspect each and every case as they are being done. Any questions? Into the scrap bucket.
Brass prep is actually kind of relaxing. My SO calls it "man knitting".

762 shooter
12-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Lee trimmer, chamfer and wipe. KISS

Wilson or Dillon Gage

TNsailorman
12-05-2014, 09:48 AM
I use a Lee trimmer and a electric drill mounted on an old end table. Makes short work of 30-30 trimming or any other case for that matter. Been doing it this way since the 70's. I also have a Wilson trimmer, 3 C-H trimmers which are adjustable and do a great job. But for the 30-30 I keep going back to the Lee trimmer. my way anyway, james

ioon44
12-05-2014, 10:25 AM
I have the best uniformity using Wilson trimmers and gauges.

dudel
12-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Tried the Lees and didn't like them. I found the Wilson trimmer, and I like it a lot. Easy, fast and consistent. Readily adaptable to power drive if needed, also can do primer pockets. You do need to get a case holder; but that's a one time purchase (like collets or trim length rods).

For case gauges, I use a combination of Midway, Wilson and Dillon. All work well, and I get what's available at the time.