PDA

View Full Version : Foster bullet puller

GOPHER SLAYER
11-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Does anyone have and use a Foster bullet puller as pictured? I have had this one for at least 25 years and have never successfully pulled a j bullet with it. I just tried with a 225 Winchester cartridge. I tightened the bullet collet as tight as I could short of using a break over bar, withdrew the cartridge and succeeded in putting deep groves in the bullet which was still firmly gripped by the case. What am I doing wrong?.

Artful
11-28-2014, 11:18 PM
I have an RCBS version of that design and it works fine for me - I'm at a loss...

The only thing was on pulling military with sealant - I had to run them thru
a seating die to push the bullet deeper to break the seal then pull them.

Kevin Rohrer
11-29-2014, 05:26 PM
I just had this problem attempting to pull a .40S&W jacketed bullet w/ the wrong size collet. The problem was the collet was too big (.45) and I couldn't get it to grip the bullet w/o also gripping the case neck, which accomplished nothing except to crimp the case ever tighter. I ended up using a kinetic puller.

Collet pullers are best with jacketed bullets, but the collet needs to match the caliber bullet being pulled.

Gopher: Are you using a .22cal collet?

GOPHER SLAYER
11-29-2014, 06:42 PM
After reading Artful's remarks I gave it another try. I tried a separate cartridge and lo and behold it worked. Out of curiosity I pulled the first one with Klien's 9 inch pliers and to my surprise this Winchester J bullet measured 220. Since I have several mikes I tried them all and it still measured 220. The collet I am using is a 224. It worked on the next try and I proceeded to do a box and a half with no trouble and then it quit working. I don't know what the problem could be but I thought it might be a small amount of oil on the collet. I will clean it and try again. In case you are wondering why I don't just shoot the rounds as is I will tell you. They are factory cartridges and they are way too hot. The cartridge is a 225 Winchester with a 57 grain soft point bullet. I weighed several rounds and they are loaded with charges ranging from 32 to 37,5 grains of a fine ball powder. Not very consistent. None of my loading manuals list anything that hot. Some of the cartridges had been fired and they had very flat primers and one had a hole in it. Not for me. I tried using a kinetic puller but the rim is too thin and will not take the blows. Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it. I will keep you posted with further results.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I took the puller apart and sprayed it and the bullet with carburetor cleaner but it didn't help. The collet is gripping the case very well, in fact it is leaving small groves in the bullet. I had hoped to save the bullets and reload them with a reduced powder charge but it is becoming too much trouble. I have a nice two cavity GC mold from RCBS which has worked out very well. I shot the rifle two weeks ago with these caSt bullets and 4198 for 2035 FPS. They grouped well too. I will load a box or two with the J bullets I have and of course a more modest powder charge. I do not like to see super flat primers after I hold the rife against my cheek.

lightman
11-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I have the RCBS that uses that same design. It works well with longer bullets, but I have had mixed results with short pistol bullets. I think its just the nature of the beast.

durango
12-03-2014, 11:42 PM
I have a RCBS and faced the all the same problems. CBs with a crimp-forget it!-use the kenetic. I recently pulled down 240 .221 fireball-no crimp. I found that slowly pulling the handle is not the way to go. I 'popped' the handle with the heel of my hand and every bullet came out with no marks. Good Luck, Steve