PDA

View Full Version : Most Consistant Rimfire Brass?

deltaenterprizes
11-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Starting to try to make some match grade 6mm/.243 bullets fr22 mag/17 mag brass.
Many different headstamps, CCI most plentiful, Winchester came in second.
For those with expierence with this process, which brass has given the best results?

blltsmth
11-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Your best bet is to weigh it, trim it, anneal it to a bright red and air cool, then sort by weight. In my experience, CCI weighs all over the place and Winchester is more consistent, if not tougher, brass. Don

JSnover
11-29-2014, 04:53 PM
I was under the impression Eley Tenex was the best but it might not be easy to find large quantities

kweidner
11-29-2014, 09:47 PM
yes eley for sure. Wolf would be a close second.

deltaenterprizes
12-01-2014, 08:49 AM
The majority of the 22 mag brass I have is CCI, next is Winchester

Ballistics in Scotland
12-03-2014, 03:40 AM
I believe Corbin say, or used to, that the firing-pin indentation is all that stands between (presumably the most consistent) rimfire brass and the quality available with the best commercial bullet jackets. I have a supply of cases which I think were made for shotshells (LR diameter but about Magnum length) which never were loaded or fired. But I did find that the firing-pin indentation on fired cases couldn't be made to disappear altogether.

It might be worth "firing" each case to make an indentation on the opposite side of the rim. Then what nearly disappears will have a symmetrical effect, equal on both sides of the jacket.

Lawyerman
12-05-2014, 10:42 AM
I am fortunate in that our rifle club has an indoor smallbore range. We issue Eley to our Junior shooters. From time to time I will empty the range bucket......All nice and clean Eley cases fired in match rifles. Pretty much the perfect jacket material! Even more so since it's free and all I have to do is dip a coffee can into the 5 gallon pail to get them!

R.Ph. 380
12-05-2014, 08:54 PM
I am fortunate in that our rifle club has an indoor smallbore range. We issue Eley to our Junior shooters. From time to time I will empty the range bucket......All nice and clean Eley cases fired in match rifles. Pretty much the perfect jacket material! Even more so since it's free and all I have to do is dip a coffee can into the 5 gallon pail to get them!

I think I hate you!!!:bigsmyl2:

clodhopper
12-06-2014, 10:20 AM
I have been pondering the firing pin indent.

With a flat firing pin a crease is placed across the rim, making what looks like the worst possible situation.

With the round, firing pin in Anschutz and some other quality rifles, the shape and placement of the indentation could change the problem.

Then good ole BTSniper comes up with another solution to the problem.

MIBULLETS
12-15-2014, 07:47 PM
I have been pondering the firing pin indent.

With a flat firing pin a crease is placed across the rim, making what looks like the worst possible situation.

With the round, firing pin in Anschutz and some other quality rifles, the shape and placement of the indentation could change the problem.

Then good ole BTSniper comes up with another solution to the problem.

I have a Ruger Single Six pistol that uses the round firing pin. You can pretty much get the dent to disappear when making a bullet with them. The round pin never cuts through the rim like some flat firing pins do.