PDA

View Full Version : A Pistol Caddy For Multiple Handguns Needed

monadnock#5
11-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Midway carries lots of transport cases for handguns, at various price points, but nothing that fits my perceived need. They're either too cheap and flimsy, or could survive an air drop from a B-52, with a price to match. And none with the capacity I'm looking for.

Parameters: This is strictly for trips to the range, and for purposes of making one trip from the car to the bench and back again. I'm looking for a container that holds 4 to 6 handguns. It needs to be sturdy, but not to the point of crash tested or TSA approved. This is for handguns only. Ammo, mags, clips, safety glasses, sunscreen and bug dope will all have separate accommodations.

So what works for you? Store bought or custom made at home will all get equal consideration. Thanks.

30calflash
11-28-2014, 02:25 PM
This is one option:http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepistol/product.php?productid=123

This used to be standard product for bullseye pistol shooters. A 5 gun model was made at one time also. This will also accommodate scoped firearms.

If you look around you might find a used one as BE pistol shooting doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was. HTH.

Silver Jack Hammer
11-28-2014, 02:30 PM
What I use is zippered gun rugs and simply place them in a gym bag(s). That way all my handguns can be carried to the truck from the safe and to the firing line from the truck, etc. My gun rugs are all different in some way, different color, have a patch sewn on them, all the patches are different and I always put the same gun in the same rug so when I get to the range I'm not digging through my bag looking for the gun I want to shoot. This system was developed out of a lot of confusion from being at the range with a bunch of guys where we all rode together on one truck and we are all shooting a multiple gun match. I can spot my gun rugs out of a bunch of gun rugs, and I can pick which gun I want. Frequently multiple gun matches are a crunch of time and confusion and my system works well, at least for me.

monadnock#5
11-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Thank you 30calflash, it's pricey, but exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for!

monadnock#5
11-28-2014, 02:36 PM
What I use is zippered gun rugs and simply place them in a gym bag(s). That way all my handguns can be carried to the truck from the safe and to the firing line from the truck, etc. My gun rugs are all different in some way, different color, have a patch sewn on them, all the patches are different and I always put the same gun in the same rug so when I get to the range I'm not digging through my bag looking for the gun I want to shoot. This system was developed out of a lot of confusion from being at the range with a bunch of guys where we all rode together on one truck and we are all shooting a multiple gun match. I can spot my gun rugs out of a bunch of gun rugs, and I can pick which gun I want. Frequently multiple gun matches are a crunch of time and confusion and my system works well, at least for me.

I like it. Your idea of using uniquely marked rugs is very good.

bedbugbilly
11-28-2014, 03:23 PM
If your handy with woodworking, there really isn't any reason that you couldn't make a case similar to what 30calflash put the link up to. Over the years, I've seen a number of homemade cases similar to this that were customized to the particular handguns that needed to be carried.

I use a "range bag" to carry my handguns, ammo, muggs, safety glasses etc. in to go to the range. I normally will only take 2 or possibly 3 handguns along - a Colt SA clone, a M & P revolver and either my SR9 or my Smith Model 39 J frame. Even with only three handguns . . . by the time I put in 150 to 200 rounds of 38 spl along with the glasses, muffs, some small tools if needed, etc, . . . the darn bag begins to get quite heavy.

If you are looking at a case like shown in the link, carrying six handguns plus ammo plus equipment . . . you might want to see what you could find as far as a wheeled cart to help move it. Not being smart about it but you are going to have some weight there if you have a distance to carry it. Perhaps a lightweight collapsable wheeled luggage cart?

waksupi
11-28-2014, 03:29 PM
I use a plastic rectangle rifle hard case. You can put a lot of handguns in one of those.

monadnock#5
11-28-2014, 03:34 PM
I use a plastic rectangle rifle hard case. You can put a lot of handguns in one of those.

How do you keep the handguns from slip sliding around inside the case?

DCM
11-28-2014, 03:43 PM

Really like it!
Inconspicuous also, just a gym bag to most folks.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-28-2014, 04:15 PM
i use a hard side rifle case a short one like for a take down rifle / shotgun they don't slide around the egg carton foam
holds them in place

Czech_too
11-28-2014, 04:31 PM
I picked up one of these, several years back. It's served me well.
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/handgun/handgun-cases-811.html

Scharfschuetze
11-28-2014, 05:44 PM
My wife gave me something similar to 30calflash's suggestion at least 30 years ago and it has held up nicely. At one time, hardly any 2700 pistol shooters ever showed up at the range without such a pistol box. While I don't shoot 2700 anymore, I still use the box when I'm going to the range just to punch holes in paper. Note the spotting scope attachment on the lid. That's a very useful addition when shooting at 50 yard targets and when the lid is folded down, the scope tucks up into the box so you don't have to take it on and off.

W.R.Buchanan
11-28-2014, 05:46 PM
I use inexpensive tool bags from Lowes or Harbor Freight. I generally have one bag set up for each gun as they range from $7.95-$12.95 in price.

Each bag has everything needed for that gun.

Example: my G35 bag has the gun, all magazines, spare parts, tools, ammo gun belt with holster and mag holders. It all fits in a Lowes Tool bag. There is plenty of pockets for everything.

Other guns have other requirements as far as support equipment and have different bags. My most recent CZ 82 has a smaller Bag from Harbor Freight that was $7.95 and it has plenty of space for the gun, it's Kydex holster, ammo and magazines. not as much support equipment so not as big a bag.

I also use larger bags for transporting equipment to the range for sighting in guns containing tools, bore sighter, targets, log books, and other paraphernalia.

These inexpensive tool bags are by far the most versatile way to carry your stuff. The idea of spending $100 for a "Range Bag" just sticks in my throat! especially when the only real difference is the "Range Bag" has two zippers on the top instead of just one.

If you wanted to carry several pistols in one larger bag then some inexpensive pistol rugs could be used to keep them from banging into each other. I personally prefer the dedicated bag as $12 is just not that much to insure you have everything you need to shoot and can grab and go if you need to.

Wouldn't it be comforting to know that if you had to make a hasty exit from your house that you could grab a single bag and be well armed? I keep all my magazines loaded too, and could literally be in the fight in a matter of seconds.

I also have a similar bag for my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 which is a companion gun to the G35. The mags interchange and anyone would be well equipped for social purposes with this set up.

I have to admit that I have always wanted one of those cool pistol boxes with the spotting scope in it.

Randy

junkpile
11-28-2014, 06:29 PM
I use the voodoo range bag. I typically only carry 3 or 4 guns to the range, but have taken more in the one bag. Two fit easily in each of the side zippered pouches. If you have soft sided cases, you could probably load almost a dozen autos into the bag if you're not carrying anything else.

A little different than your needs, but I usually carry 3 or 4, a cleaning kit, 6 or 8 boxes of ammo, and a few random other things, like staplers, tape, etc.

Edster
11-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Been looking at these for quite a while. Someday I might be able to justify it. So for now it is gun rugs in a gym bag.

http://www.casecruzer.com/gun-cases/qd-handgun-6pack.html

waksupi
11-28-2014, 07:57 PM
How do you keep the handguns from slip sliding around inside the case?

Well padded cases, I've never had a problem. I also transport flat.

30calflash
11-28-2014, 09:38 PM
If you're handy with wood you could build one also, I've seen lots of folks do that.

At one time I believe Gun-Ho used to sell the tray that holds the handguns separately. The 'fingers' that held the pistols were felt covered and there was a knurled thumbwheel that would be tightened to secure the guns in place. Typically you would insert them in a muzzle pointing right and then left configuration which gave you some extra breathing space so as to not have them rub against each other while handling them.

I've seen them built with drawers that were foam lined for protection. Open the side and slide a drawer out. Worked well and the hardware for building it is available, probably from a woodworker's specialty store.

Pachmayr also made 3, 4 and 5 gun boxes for many years. Last I knew the were a fair sight more than the GH models.

Here is another brand I have not heard of but sold by Champion's Choice, a supplier of target shooting gear:http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=SRC1812 I have no dog in this fight, just another sample.

rogerstg
11-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Here is another brand I have not heard of but sold by Champion's Choice, a supplier of target shooting gear:http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=SRC1812 I have no dog in this fight, just another sample.

I have the 3 gun version of the Champion's Choice Strong gun box. I suggest the OP also buy the magnet for it as well to hold magazines ready while shooting. It keeps everything neat and organized while at the shooting bench.

RED333
11-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Just how handy are you?
http://www.benchmasterusa.com/Four-Pistol-and-Magazine-WeaponRAC

ratboy
11-28-2014, 10:29 PM

i do this with a 14 gallon plastic tote.

tazman
11-28-2014, 10:51 PM

I use a very similar setup. I use small individual hardcases for my revolvers and a double softcase for my pistols. This is three cases.
I put all these in a nondescript, zippered, black tote bag that has heavy duty handles and a couple of outside pockets for extras. The black bag could easily be mistaken for a gym bag.
I carry my ammunition in a much smaller but similar bag that is od green. This evens out the weight and has everything I need for a couple of hours of shooting.

Outpost75
11-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I gave a Pachmayr pistol box, leftover from my bullseye shooting days. If there is any interest I could post pics and it would be available for sale or swap.

Love Life
11-29-2014, 12:06 AM
I use an el cheapo cooler with the pull out handle and wheels. I made partitions. Makes carrying gun **** pretty easy.

charlie b
11-29-2014, 12:45 AM
I also use tool bags and gun rugs.

I also use to pick up old briefcases at garage sales. Put some foam in them from mattress pads and each will carry at least two pistols, four if they are std sizes. If you got one of the 'wider' ones then you could add a hard divider and put four on each side of the divider.

Simple and cheap. You can also have it in the car without advertising that you are carrying weapons

StrawHat
11-29-2014, 07:08 AM
The box stores sell tool boxes on wheel, about fifty different varieties. I have seen the ones with two wheel and four boxes. The fellow kept his ammo in the bottom box and his revolvers in the next one up. Tools and etc in the top ones.

I have an old Pachmyer case I have used since PPC days.

375supermag
11-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Hi...

I carry some of my handguns to the range in a leather shooting bag my wife gave me as a gift. It has a center compartment and two zippered compartments, one on each side. I can carry as many as 8 handguns in it in pistol rugs.

Also have a hard plastic case that holds 4 handguns.

I use an MTM wet/dry box to carry various shooting/range items, including ammo, ear protection, targets, etc. Other ammo is carried in a metal ammo can.

Always looking for another good range bag at a reasonable cost.

When my son and I go to the range, we sometimes go for the day and take rifles, shotguns and handguns. The back of the club cab Dodge or Jeep can look like a mobile gun shop. I wonder what the news media would think of a vehicle rolling down the local streets with 30 firearms and upwards of a thousand rounds of ammunition in it.

I guess they would consider that an arsenal....pretty hard to argue with that characterization.

hporter
11-29-2014, 08:45 AM
I have several of these, they work well for transporting just handguns with no other accessories. They come in colors that are unobtrusive that don't scream "gun bag" which is another plus. There are four padded sleeves inside that allow handguns to ride side by side in a vertical orientation. The website doesn't have a photograph that depicts this, but if you are interested I could take a photo of the inside of one of my bags. I sometimes will stick a couple more handguns in-between the padded sleeves to carry six. Works well with j-frames and .22's, not so much for n-frames.

http://wrbsales.com/products/133-mini-range-bag-four-4-gun-transport.aspx

rintinglen
11-29-2014, 09:15 AM
I use a Plano 1404 XL Accessory Case. Mine carries 4 pistols or revolvers of up to 8 3/8s length--actually I think it would take a half dozen snubbies or compacts. It is 16.75" Wide x 6" Deep x 14.5" Tall. I have not had a problem with guns "migrating" inside while being transported or carried. My guns must be locked while in transit and the plano allows me to do so. I got mine from Walmart for around 15.00.

Forrest r
11-29-2014, 09:39 AM
I've owned several handgun cases over the years, pick them up & resell them. This style has served me well over the decades.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/rangebox_zps8cba53ce.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/rangebox_zps8cba53ce.jpg.html)

The ability to mount a spotting scope in the range box is a huge +.

Pachmayr makes an excellent range box.

c1skout
11-29-2014, 07:42 PM
I've had one of these for a few years. It can hold way more than you'll want to carry! I like being able to just grab the one bag and go and know that I'm not forgetting anything.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689/midwayusa-competition-range-bag?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I'd still like to have a bullseye box though!

Artful
11-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Currently using one like this 5.11
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3448186816/511-range-ready-range-bag-nylon?cm_vc=ProductFinding
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/alt1/224/224490.jpg
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/224/224490.jpg
Carries 4-5 guns boxes like this
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/985/985609.jpg
and half a dozen boxes of ammo
- ear plugs
- bottle of water
- mini-12x binoculars
- extra magazines

c1skout
11-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Artful, that 5.11 bag looks identical to my Midway bag! Did it also come with a shoulder strap and 2 padded pistol carriers that fit in the inside pockets of the bag?

Artful
11-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Artful, that 5.11 bag looks identical to my Midway bag! Did it also come with a shoulder strap and 2 padded pistol carriers that fit in the inside pockets of the bag?
Actually mine came from a Hospice donation store - missing the strap and with no cases inside just some empty 22LR cases and a patch from the local shooting range on it. But I'd be willing to bet your Midway and the 5.11 are from the same factory.

dragon813gt
11-29-2014, 11:11 PM
I bought one of the multi handgun cases from Dick's years ago. I upgraded the foam in it and it holds everything firmly w/ no play. The foam most of the boxes come w/ is junk. You can buy better eggcrate and pick and pull foam fairly cheap. I have a box that has pick and pull in at and is set up for the handguns I take most often. It fits four. A second one is all eggcrate and depending on the guns I can fit 4-5.

woodsie57
11-29-2014, 11:47 PM
Goodwill- type stores sell old laptop computer cases for a couple dollars- well padded, lots of dividers inside. I carry up to 4 guns with ammo in them, the shoulder straps are nicely padded also

CLAYPOOL
11-30-2014, 12:26 AM
Zanders has some heavy duty like canvas type material tool bags. They have mesh pockets on the outside. Look similar to a bowling bag. Very sturdy.