PDA

View Full Version : Deals in Inlays

Hooker53
11-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Hello everyone and hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Just wanted to share that if you have done wood enlays down thru the years like me, Bell Forest products is having a Black Friday sell. Their 1/4" X 2" inlay wood are second to non and very reasonable. I don't know them personally but just know they have a great product. Use coupon code Friday2014 on checkout.

Roy
Hooker53

bangerjim
11-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Good info for those doing that work!

I do a lot of marquetry work for antiques and use a lot of exotic veneers to match what is existing. Many times standard purchased woods are too thick for the older stuff (1/28" or thinner!), so I double stick tape them to a piece of 3/4" plywood and run them thru one of my thickness sanders to get them down to the thickness I need to match the existing work. Also easy to make your own veneers that way from thicker stock you have re-sawn on the band saw or table saw...in smaller batches for inlay and marquetry work!

Hope that little trick is useful for anyone out there trying to get a precise thickness of wood!

banger

Hooker53
11-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Banger. You hit the nail on the head with that neat trick. I use the same on real thin ivory that I get off of very old vintage piano keys. I fact, I have to glue and press those thin slivers to 1/32" aircraft plywood. After I do that, I can saw them and work them anyway needed. If I didn't, I would break every other I picked up. They also hold up very well when I disk sand the 5 deg I need on each edge. Since I started doing that years ago, I have not broke any to remember. The only thi g IV found with my inlays, is finding a glue I like. IV used many types and on all thin e
inlays I have to let it set up for a few weeks to keep it from receding back into the wood after sanding to contour. Ebony will do that in my area the worst if I didn't give it time.

Hooker53
10-25-2015, 01:12 PM
I'm back at it again. This time on a rifle for my Grandsons first for his Christmas this year. I thought about doing a step by step photo thread on this dying art. These will be Ivory, Gabon heartwood Ebony and Rosewood. Would that be something some of you would like to see???

Roy

Menner
10-25-2015, 03:33 PM
YES!!!! That would make an excellent thread
Tony

chsparkman
10-25-2015, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see it.

Blackwater
10-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Count me in as well. I've done very little of this, and it's been a long time ago now. Might need some refreshing of th ol' memory, and some inspiration as well.

Hannibal
10-26-2015, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see that as well.

MrWolf
10-26-2015, 09:47 PM
I will add a please to the requests.

Hooker53
10-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Ok. I will dust off my camera and get going on this. Thanks guys.

Roy

Hooker53
11-05-2015, 09:51 PM
OK Gents. Haven't forgot ya. I just wanted to get right many steps and photos ahead before I started the thread. Will get this going probably this weekend. I'm also doing some wood inlays in the grip area of the rifle. Thanks for your interest.

Roy
Hooker53

MBTcustom
11-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Subscribed.

Hooker53
11-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Welcome aboard goodsteel and thanks. The thread has started. Look for the new thread as "How To Inlay". Lets have some fun.

Roy
Hooker53