PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Mauser action?

fairview
11-28-2014, 11:54 AM
First I am completely ignorant about rebarreling an action. So ignorant I didn't even know the barrel and action could be separated so please be somewhat kind.

I have a old 7mm Mauser. Pretty sure it is a 98. Back in the 70's these things were pretty cheap. If I remember correctly my old man didn't give over 50 bucks for it. He was pretty tight with his money. Being a stupid kid I sporterized it, had the bolt bent so a scope could be mounted and did a fairly ugly finish on the stock. So if I were to give this piece a second lease on life and rebarrel it, what would be a good selection and what would be reasonable and customary charges for a gun smith to do this. I've done enough research to know I can't do that without special tools. I figure on stripping the finish and try my hand at doing a real bedding on the receiver. Probably make a run at the bedding first so if that is a total disaster I'll just try to sell the action.

Thanks

Ben
11-28-2014, 12:56 PM
If you could take 4 or 5 clear , sharp, photos and post them of the action, we could offer more help to you. May or may not be a 98'.

Ben

EDG
11-28-2014, 01:08 PM
If you have a good 7X57 barrel there is little need to rebarrel it.
A new stock would add the most to the appearance.
If the 7x57 bore is shot it is most likely a M93 Spanish Mauser and is not worth spending much money on unless you just want a project to play with.

Reg
11-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Also, what caliber is it in now ? This could give some indication of what might be possible to do with it. I. E. if it were 8 m/m or 7 then for the sake of economy it might be smart to keep it in lengths roughly equal but if it were say a 1909 Argentine in 30-06 then that opens a new door.
Basically , any 98 ( if it is a 98 ) can be converted to about anything, even long magnums but the more work evolved , the more it will cost and trust me, making a action feed for something it was not designed for should be done by someone who knows what they are doing an run into some real bucks.

koger
11-28-2014, 02:07 PM
If the barrel is good, 7x57 is one of the most versatile calibers on the planet! I have shot everything from 120gr to 175 gr with good to great accuracy. Please post some pics. A 98 action, cocks on opening, therefore all the effort will be required when lifting the bolt. A 93-96 action cocks on closing, when you push the bolt the last 1 1/2 inches forward to close it down, will have to exert more force. I have had several of the south American 98, 7x57 that were great guns, and with modern loads, will rival the .280 Remington.

atr
11-28-2014, 02:35 PM
check the bolt,,,if it has 3 locking lugs (two in front, one in back) its a 98.... If it only has two locking lugs (in front) then it is not a 98 but most likely a 93 or a 96
your barrel may be ok,,,get it clean first and check the crown,,,sometimes the crown is bad but you can have the barrel re-crowned.
atr
and yes the 7x57 is a really good caliber !

dh2
11-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Like others are thinking it may be a small ring mauser being 7x57mm Mauser I have one sporterized for my son a youth rifle, in a ram line stock, good for it's propose.
A large ring Mauser 98 any thing in the 06 case family can go in it

Hardcast416taylor
11-28-2014, 04:32 PM
If you know how to tell if it is a large or small front reciever that is a help. What stamping is on the front reciever, often a date is stamped there. If you do decide to rebarrel the action, simply send it in to E.R. Shaw once you decide on a caliber.Robert

fairview
11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
If the barrel is good, 7x57 is one of the most versatile calibers on the planet! I have shot everything from 120gr to 175 gr with good to great accuracy. Please post some pics. A 98 action, cocks on opening, therefore all the effort will be required when lifting the bolt. A 93-96 action cocks on closing, when you push the bolt the last 1 1/2 inches forward to close it down, will have to exert more force. I have had several of the south American 98, 7x57 that were great guns, and with modern loads, will rival the .280 Remington.

Well, it's not a 98 because the bolt cocks during the last couple inches of closing.

If you could take 4 or 5 clear , sharp, photos and post them of the action, we could offer more help to you. May or may not be a 98'.

Ben

That will be a few days since I dropped my *** phone this morning and the LCD screen is all busted up. Stupid smart phone.

CLAYPOOL
11-28-2014, 10:18 PM
.257 Roberts or Improved, either one. Feed rails will work with the Roberts they say. Never built one, but the best thing to do is ask around and have a COMPENTENT gun smith look it over and tell you what you have. Safety first all ways. Guys you fell down on the safety concerns....

gwpercle
12-01-2014, 06:01 PM
7 X 57 is one of the better rounds. Give that barrel a really good cleaning , check the crown and go to the range for a test.
My model 95 had a military barrel that looked like the inside of a sewer pipe, I scrubbed it with everything, including 0000 steel wool wrapped around a worn brass brush and covered with J-B bore cleaner, several times. Then had a local smith cut and crown the barrel to 20 inches .
Remington 175 grain core-lokt, 3 shots offhand at 75 yards- two touched and the third was 1/4 inch away, group was dead center. Don't give up on the barrel until you've tried it.
Gary

LAGS
12-01-2014, 07:33 PM
I took off the .308 barrel on a 1916 Spanish Mauser and installed a 8mm Small ring barrel I had taken off a Turkish Mauser that I rebarreled to 25-06.
It is a great rifle, and I recently gave it to a friend to keep it from just being a Safe Queen.
You can get Good Small ring Turkish barrel from Gun Parts Corp Pretty cheap.