PDA

View Full Version : Colt Python 1990's

Gemsbok405
11-28-2014, 04:12 AM
I currently own and shoot an E series (1975) 6" Python. Stunning accuracy with approx 0.3575 cylinder throats and shoot with cast 150gr bullets sized 0.357.

Now, have been offerred a mint 1990's "Blued" Colt Python 6" with serial KT86xx, and with new barrel thread...has 1 pin on front sight.

The questions are:

Is the newer barrel bore/groove the same measures internally, with taper towards muzzle, or are newer barrels the generic Colt Trooper standard barrel internals?

Anybody have bore slugs of the KT...... barrels?

Some reports of poor accuracy and requiring throat reaming...while others say throats are .359"

tks

rintinglen
11-28-2014, 06:32 PM
I have heard nothing generically bad about the 90's guns. There is a persistent story that says that the ones made during the strike years, reportedly 1984-86, often are substandard, but I have not personally encountered that. That doesn't make it false. There are a heck of a lot of Pythons out there that I never got my hands on. The two I have now are both older guns.

Joni Lynn
11-29-2014, 12:28 AM
I've owned a bunch of Pythons from most years with the exception of the last bunch that were the 'Elite' Pythons. I found most of them to be pretty good and the quality of the build if that's what you want to call it to vary a lot even from similar year ranges. Most seemed to shoot about the same. Some were exceptional but very few were less than decent or good.
I know that's sort of a vague answer.
If the price is reasonable, you could always buy it and then resell if it doesn't do it for you.
Best wishes on it.