PDA

View Full Version : 500 Smith and Wesson X Frame

Crawdaddy
11-28-2014, 12:19 AM
I picked up a 500 Smith X Frame today in a package deal that included a Handi Rifle in the same chambering. Might be selling the rifle, haven't decided yet.

Does anyone have any pet loads for the revolver they would like to share. All are welcome but am particularly interested in ones with 440 grain boolits as I ordered that mold. I imagine I will be picking up others shortly based on responses.

How about loads for the rifle? Realize it's the wrong forum but thought I would ask.

Bonz
11-28-2014, 12:27 AM
If you are going to shoot cast from the revolver, you have to remove the compensator and replace it with the blank. I really missed the compensator on my 4" so I switched back to jacketed bullets. Its just a lot easier to control with the compensator installed.

Crawdaddy
11-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Interesting, what problems did the compensator cause? I haven't shot it yet but suspect I want it installed.

Bonz
11-28-2014, 04:59 AM
Mine got plugged up with little pieces of lead, which was tough to clean up. The paperwork that came with the new handgun said to remove the compensator and install the blank when shooting cast. Tried it a few times and finally gave up and switched to jacketed. It was quite amazing how much the compensator does. When I shoot it at one of the indoor ranges I go to, little pieces of ceiling tile get blown out from the blast of gas/air every time I shoot.

bobthenailer
11-28-2014, 09:15 AM
If using slow burning ball pistol powder like 296/H110 , Lilgun or WC 820 the powder blast should just about clean out any leading in the comp ! something like bead blasting ! may take a few shots depends on the amount of build up !
Works for me in quite a few handguns with compensator's . 38 super, 357 , 44 mag & 454 casull.

too many things
11-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't have the 500 but do have the 460 and there is 2 comps. I was using the one for lead. and the guy next to me got hit by lead that was shearing off. It took me about an hr to get the lead out of it . Now I don't use the comp for lead and it works much better.
If you are going to load lead that hot then go with jackets . the gun is heavy and I didn't see any problem without the lead comp.

Crawdaddy
11-28-2014, 03:35 PM
This experience is getting more interesting by he minute. After reading the owners manual about 40 times I couldnt figure out how to remove the comp. my gun is a little different than the ones in the manual. It is the 6.5 inch model wth no barrel shroud.

I went to my best friend Google and asked a few questions and it appears that mine is considered "fixed" even thought it appears there might be a way to remove it with a very large star bit.

Don't know if there is a blank for this type barrel.

I'll give it a try with cast and see what happens.

Spawn-Inc
11-29-2014, 12:14 AM
i suspect yours is the 6.5" fixed comp which is the one i have that i shoot lead from 99% of the time. the only time it see's jacketed is when bring others to the range to fire it once which is enough for most people lol.

with the 440gr bullet sized and lubed with or without a gas check and ben's red lube shoot great in mine. i used h110 or lilgun for full power loads, trailboss is king for mouse fart loads. i've also tried imr 4227, sr 4759, longshot, 2400, 4198(doesn't burn 100% though) AA5744 and AA1680 which was a really nice powder.

this picture is when i first bought it and only had the 1 lee mold, the guy i bought it from tossed in several boxes of jacketed bullets. ive since put about 1500 rounds through it (the orginal owner likely the same) and now the grips are worn out to the point the back strap is starting to show. i shoot 375gr up to 700gr.
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/Spawn-Inc/IMG_20130101_194900_zps1bb01003.jpg

Bonz
11-29-2014, 05:07 AM
My favorite load for my 4" is a Hornady 350gr XTP sitting over 24gr of Alliant PowerPistol. Currently, I have a bunch of Winchester Platinum 400gr sitting over 34.5gr of VihtaVuori N110

ebner glocken
11-29-2014, 09:49 PM
I would start with 32 grains of ww296 and work up until you or the gun says enough. In my case shooting the BFR I had enough "fun" with 34.5 grains of 296 behind the lee 440. The BFR is strong but then again so is the X frame. This is my personal limit on what I can control w/o experiencing pain. I'm sure there are those here that are tougher than I.

Ebner

Crawdaddy
11-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks to those who have posted and sent me PMs.

I took it to the range today and fired 40 factory rounds. This gun was amazingly pleasant to shoot. My hand eventually got sore in the palm just below my thumb.

I was shooting 3 inch groups at 25 yards I'm sure I can improve on this with practice.

I have a 440 grain mold on the way along with brass, dies, gas checks and a sizer.

The rifle on the other hand was not as pleasant to shoot, I'm not sure why. It is little bit light and recoil was pretty stout. It's probably due to the type of recoil pad that's installed.

scarry scarney
12-01-2014, 01:21 PM
I enjoy the lee 440 with trail boss. a real ***** cat load.

BCRider
12-01-2014, 01:38 PM
.......The rifle on the other hand was not as pleasant to shoot, I'm not sure why. It is little bit light and recoil was pretty stout. It's probably due to the type of recoil pad that's installed.

I had a short barrel TC Encore in .500S&W for a while. With the rather iron like OEM pad the darn thing was capable of loosening fillings and brain cells.... :D I swapped the pad for an old spare Remington recoil pad off an 870. The Limbsaver pads feel much the same. The softer but well controlled pad made a BIG difference. The recoil is still capable of moving the tectonic plate below your feet but it isn't as nasty a shock to the shoulder.

I'm afraid I can't offer anything for loading data. I only ever shot Hornady 350gn jacketed in front of tubes full of H110. The only other idea I got was to try 200gn sabot bullets. I don't even recall what powder I used. But the grouping was rather shotgun like so that little experiment ended quickly. I lost interest and sold it a bit later.