PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two boolits

Drphilwv
11-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Howdy all,
Tuesday my buddy and I went hunting with our new Mannlicher stocked rifles. Mine is a M70 by Zastava in 30-06, his is a CZ 550FS in .308. He was using green box remington 150gr SP. I used a 180gr LRNHP-GC from Westen Bullet Co, over 20gr 2400.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/27/a2662fbf2880bbfc34486bd0790963de.jpg
That's the 308. He shot high on she shoulder and vaporized the better part of the front quarter of the deer.

I was shooting offhand and missed the front shoulder. Ended up with a double lung shot that nicked the top of the stomach. Luckily she only went about 60 feet and laid down. I put one into her head as she was just sitting there frothing. I failed to photograph my deer but the entry wound was .30cal I to the ribs and 1.5" exit wound. The lower lungs were destroyed. Lost basically no meat (since I actually missed the shoulder).

Id say the CB did its job well, even when I didn't. Poor shot placement with the 308 and lost the front of the backstrap, one entire shoulder, and part of a second.

Hope to have more data later this week. Got a couple meat deer down. Now gonna try to catch up w this fool 8pt that's been standing in my side yard every night.

Hamish
11-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Double Lung shot, "poor shot placement"?????? (Ahem, they die rather quickly when you poke a hole in both airbags and induce terminal hypovolemic shock)

I can think of no good general reason to shoot an animal anywhere than through both lungs. Special circumstance, (attempt to prevent falling off a cliff, jumping a fence to someone else's property) might present a compelling reason, but, I don't like to shoot meat,,,,,,.

That pic of the bullet shot deer is all the evidence ever needed to convince one to become a lead bullet acolyte.

Good luck with the 8 pt.!

waksupi
11-28-2014, 12:50 AM
It sounds like your bullet performed as it should. Tell your buddy to use 180 gr. or heavier bullets, and he won't be blowing them all to hell. Round nose preferably. A proper heavy weight with jacketed bullets and moderate speed will make the same wound channel as a cast bullet.

taco650
11-29-2014, 10:18 PM
It sounds like your bullet performed as it should. Tell your buddy to use 180 gr. or heavier bullets, and he won't be blowing them all to hell. Round nose preferably. A proper heavy weight with jacketed bullets and moderate speed will make the same wound channel as a cast bullet.

I've got to agree with waksupi. Explosive results aren't ideal IMO. Yes, the deer goes down quick but...

Artful
11-29-2014, 10:34 PM
The other thing is with factory loads - if your closer than the factory thought you'd be you get a whole lot more expansion than you asked for and if it's further or the jacket more heavily constructed you get no expansion. I like a mid caliber or larger at moderate velocity myself.

35 shooter
11-30-2014, 12:27 AM
Nice job with the Zastava. I looked at a cz full stock in 9.3x62 the other night with a 20 or21" bbl. i believe. Love the looks of the full stocks. Took a look at the Zastava's too and their both great looking rifles! Good to hear a report on them.

Drphilwv
11-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Side by side the CZ550 has a finer finish. It was also nearly $400 more. I have a Husqvarna commercial mauser in 9.3x62. I was surprised that the recoil wasn't much worse than the 30-06.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-30-2014, 10:26 PM
Sure, that shoulder is not pretty, but much of it is salvageable. Soak it in cold water for 15-20 minutes, then use a knife to scrape off as much blood as possible. Separate the muscles along the natural lines by hand, then scrape some more. Finally, trim off any bloodshot meat that will not come clean. Use the meat for ground or stew. Takes some time, but I bet you can save 75% of it.

Malamute
12-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Sure, that shoulder is not pretty, but much of it is salvageable. Soak it in cold water for 15-20 minutes, then use a knife to scrape off as much blood as possible. Separate the muscles along the natural lines by hand, then scrape some more. Finally, trim off any bloodshot meat that will not come clean. Use the meat for ground or stew. Takes some time, but I bet you can save 75% of it.

^ ^ ^ This.

After getting past the "its ugly" part, most of it should be usable. I save the odds and ends that I don't eat and give the to the dog. She doesn't mind the gristle and odd bits of bloodshot.

hog
12-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Ive hit em with my .300 WBY and didnt mess em up that much, you sure he wasnt hunting with a .50???

44man
12-04-2014, 11:35 AM
That has to be the worst I ever seen, even more then what a guy did here with a 7 mag.
You just don't know what you have with factory loads or what they do. That bullet is worse then a ballistic tip!
I had to look at the moon to see if there was meat on it! You guys don't need to supply the space station!

Drphilwv
12-05-2014, 05:23 PM
We used the bloodshot meat and bones as dog food. They love deer butchering time. Here's another harvest from the 30-06. This one was DRT. Straight down. About 150yds. There's no exit wound on the heart. Must have popped out when it bled. Headed back with a metal detector to see if I can find the boolit. This one is zero wasted meat. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/05/aabd1c3d08b1eb496a33faacc3f51265.jpg. BTW if these are too graphic please let me know and I'll take them down.

taco650
12-05-2014, 09:53 PM
We used the bloodshot meat and bones as dog food. They love deer butchering time. Here's another harvest from the 30-06. This one was DRT. Straight down. About 150yds. There's no exit wound on the heart. Must have popped out when it bled. Headed back with a metal detector to see if I can find the boolit. This one is zero wasted meat. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/05/aabd1c3d08b1eb496a33faacc3f51265.jpg. BTW if these are too graphic please let me know and I'll take them down.

Not for me but I really appreciate your sensitivity to others. THANK YOU!

oldsagerat
12-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Well, if you hunt and can't handle graphic then perhaps you need another hobby. We don't have green leaves so we were designed to eat tasty animals.