PDA

View Full Version : Ever buy a gun that you thought you really wanted and found out, it wasnt?

osteodoc08
11-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Coming off an AR kick. Thought it was what I really wanted to get into. Bought the used brass, bullets, etc; bought a 308 AR and another in 223. Started shooting them, and while fun, just didn't "do it" for me. I keep coming back to my revolvers, lever guns and bolt actions. I'm not gonna sell my ARs, but don't see myself buying any more. The 308 makes an awesome plinker with some oomph behind it and can be put into service as a hog gun/deer gun/tacticool gun if need be (Sig 716). But I'm not gonna fight a war, whatever civil unrest that will occur near me can easily be taken care of unless I'm completely bombarded by a small platoon and I don't shoot competition.

I guess I just like the slower pace of the wheelguns, lever and bolt guns.

Anyone else buy buy something or get into a "gun genre" and find out it just wasn't for them?

rondog
11-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Yeah. I bought a brand new S&W Model 59 back around 1980 or so, thought it was gonna be awesome. We hated each other. Shoulda got a 39.

GRUMPA
11-27-2014, 05:26 PM
That's 1 thing I've never done (Yet) in my life. Generally what I'll do is try before I buy. By that I'll borrow someone elses when possible and use it a bit to see if I truly like it or if it's just desire. Every 1 I have I thought long and hard on, probably because $ doesn't grow on trees ( I wish it did). My next rifle is going to be a 222Rem though, I sold the 10/22 a couple of years ago and miss the lower powered small projectile rifle. Around here the ole ranch rifle is almost a necessity and I can make my own brass, have the moulds, and projectiles. Getting recipes for the mouse phart loads is no problem. But I'm not keen on paying full price for a new 1 (Who is) so I'm holding out for a used 1 which I seem to miss.

But I'm not the kind of person that goes by looks either, I've seen to many things like cars that although look pristine, can't make it around the block while the ole beat up vehicle can get you from 1 end of the country to the other without burning a drop of oil,

I would want to bring the thing home, slug the barrel and chamber, and go through it with a fine tooth comb.

dragon813gt
11-27-2014, 05:38 PM
I have an AR. I had no interest in one and knew that when I built it. I built it just because I could. I don't regret it one bit.

MrWolf
11-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Built my first and knew it was just a bang bang one. Have two other lowers that I am looking at for a 6.5 Grendel and a 458 Socom beast. Someday if I can find the right deal...

ph4570
11-27-2014, 06:00 PM
yes, Ruger LCR 357 mag.

shoot-n-lead
11-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Yes...a Glock and a Ruger 44 carbine.

375supermag
11-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi...
Can't say that has ever happened to me.
Generally know what I want before I buy...do my research and study the ballistics of any new cartridge.
Having said that, I will admit to more than a couple of impulse buys over the last several decades. Best one was a Richards/Mason conversion revolver...didn't even know I needed one until I held a new Cimarron in my hand one day.
Quite happy to take it home that very same day...great little revolver.

I have bought at least one gun that I just knew I would hate...I needed a shotgun for hunting season following a divorce a quarter century ago.
Money was very tight...so I bought a used Winchester 12ga autoloader for $140 as a cheap way to go hunting, fully intending to replace/get rid of it before the next hunting season.

A quarter century later, it is still here and still gets used regularly. It has accounted for untold numbers of squirrels, rabbits and pheasants.

I have bought other shotguns for myself and my son, yet I continue to use that old beater Winchester autoloader almost every hunting season. Not too bad for a shotgun that I really didn't even like or want.

DCM
11-27-2014, 06:35 PM
AR-10, FN 5.7, & 10-22

AR-10 didn't like to extract in cold weather & just never felt right anyways. Sold to LGS, said the new owner loves it.
5.7 pistol always shot patterns, never shot groups and never felt quite right either. Sold to LGS, new owner likes it.
10-22 just plain loved to hate that thing, not really sure why. Traded it for a muzzle loader and we were both very happy with the deal.

Best advice is above try it before you buy it.

historicfirearms
11-27-2014, 06:44 PM
yes, Ruger LCR 357 mag.
Same here. Worst gun I've ever bought.

Artful
11-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Intratec 9mm Cat. 9 Pocket Designed by Nehemiah Sirkis
(he of kimber fame)

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/1700/8357208/e325dd8e6b5c627df316f806e57dc147.jpg

Double Action Only Pistol striker fired.
Features: 3" Barrel, Overall Length 5.8".
Matte Black Finish Slide, Black Polymer Frame with Finger Grooves.
Push Button Magazine Release, gutter sight groove for snag free carry.

sounded so good as a EDC in the pocket gun - not so much
kept the AMT backup single action in 380.

BrassMagnet
11-27-2014, 07:03 PM
A Ruger Mini-14.
I had a hard time keeping the group size to 8'' at 100 yards. I dumped it fast, just like the previous owner.

gbrown
11-27-2014, 07:06 PM
I've done it, but not with a high dollar gun. Got a bolt action .22 one time and didn't like it. I love 22s, but that gun just didn't sit with me. Never wanted an AR. Carried an M16, M16A1, M16A2 and M4 in the military, and was never impressed with them. I did buy my oldest grandson an AR about 2 years ago for Christmas. He's shot it on one outing to the range. We'll get it out and fire it sometime. Some guns just seem to fit a person, some guns just don't.

500MAG
11-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Never bought a gun that I didn't want because I want them all.

TXGunNut
11-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm a traditionalist in that I prefer designs older than I am. Blue steel, walnut, color case hardening, etc. I have a MSR, just don't play with or talk about it much. Enjoyed shooting and occasionally competing with my patrol rifle but when I left the PD I sold it, didn't think I'd miss it but I did. Now I have a better one, may even do the AR10 thing someday soon.
MSR's are social equipment for me. I don't much care for them but I'll feel better having one around.

joesig
11-27-2014, 07:20 PM
A 375 Hurt & Hurt. I've heard of being bitten by the trigger guard on a revolver, not on a bolt gun. Sierra 200gr FP and some 4759 made for clover leafs with open sights. Now it's just a big heavy "35 Remington".

big bore 99
11-27-2014, 07:32 PM
After making the rounds thru different areas of the hobby, I have settled into single shot 45-70's. Like most, I cast and reload and keep very good records of my results. I myself, find it very accomplishing to get a load that will do what I want. I sometimes take most of the day to shoot 25 reloads. To each there own, and all phases of the hobby are good, it's just what I enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-27-2014, 07:57 PM
I haven't gotten my 357 Handi to shoot to my standards, yet.

btroj
11-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Almost. Marlin 1984C in 357. First 6 months I had the rifle I hated it. Best groups were around 6 inches at 50 yards, not acceptable. In desperation I bought a Mohec 359649 HP mould. That was the bullet the rifle was looking for.

All is good now but the rifle was close to hitting the sale rack.

williamwaco
11-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Coming off an AR kick. Thought it was what I really wanted to get into. Bought the used brass, bullets, etc; bought a 308 AR and another in 223. Started shooting them, and while fun, just didn't "do it" for me. I keep coming back to my revolvers, lever guns and bolt actions. I'm not gonna sell my ARs, but don't see myself buying any more. The 308 makes an awesome plinker with some oomph behind it and can be put into service as a hog gun/deer gun/tacticool gun if need be (Sig 716). But I'm not gonna fight a war, whatever civil unrest that will occur near me can easily be taken care of unless I'm completely bombarded by a small platoon and I don't shoot competition.

I guess I just like the slower pace of the wheelguns, lever and bolt guns.

Anyone else buy buy something or get into a "gun genre" and find out it just wasn't for them?

:bigsmyl2:

Who? ME?

cuzinbruce
11-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Been there, done that! I want a Walther Olympia, a pre-war .22 target pistol. I don't want to lay out big bucks so I bought the Norinco (?) copy. It is not the same. Cheapo wood grips, not the same quality at all. Worked OK. Funny, it would not work with target loads but seemed to like High-Speed .22's. So off it went and the search goes on.

brotherdarrell
11-27-2014, 08:16 PM
One yes and one 'almost'.

After much study and research I bought an XD-45 a couple of years ago. It lasted about 2 months. It actually was a very good shooting and accurate pistol but there was two issues I couldn't or didn't want to get over. At 15 yards it shot most everything about 5 inches low. I could have put adjustable sights but what I couldn't get over was getting it to fit in my hand. If I was to just pick it up I could not get it positioned to the same way twice. I would have to fiddle with it to get it just right. Not a good idea for a sidearm.

The almost is my Ruger #1 in 45/70. I traded my Marlin that shot everything good to very good. The Ruger not so much. I was beginning to think that i was just going to have to settle for less. I then gave paper patching a try. It is now one of the most accurate firearms that I own. Life is good.

Darrell

TXGunNut
11-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Come to think of it, maybe. My excursion into the land of Sharps rifles hasn't worked out so well (yet) but I still piddle around with it when I get a chance. It got me into casting my own boolits so it hasn't been a total waste.

BNE
11-27-2014, 08:46 PM
IT was an AK 47. I bought it from a co-worker in need of cash. I shot one magazine through it and I just didn't like it. I was able to sell it for more than I put into it, so I came out OK.

kbstenberg
11-27-2014, 09:25 PM
mine was a 45 acp. I found out that I hate chasseing brass.

MT Gianni
11-27-2014, 09:27 PM
I love S&W revolvers and bought a 66 2.5" 357 rb. It should have been everything I wanted but did not group as I wanted it to so it went downstream.

texassako
11-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Yes, a Interarms Walther PPKS. It looked and felt nice in the store, but that was about it.

C. Latch
11-27-2014, 09:44 PM
I lost interest in ARs after shooting them off and on for almost 20 years. Got back into more traditional 'shooting for fun' stuff, which is part of why I'm on this website.

To be totally honest, my interests are now swinging back towards ARs and long-range hunting rifles.

Plate plinker
11-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Nope they are all good. So far.

fast ronnie
11-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I traded for a sporterized mauser 93 in 7 x 57. I loaded some 139 sst's that I had. Out of 40 shots at a hundred yds, only 10 hit a 15" square piece of paper. I was about ready to throw it in a lake somewhere until I tried some 145 grains that I had. Everything else I've put in it groups nice except those 139's. Now it's more often than not my first pick when going to play at the range. Put a cheap weaver scope on it. Looks pretty nice, too. Not the greatest, but nice.

marvelshooter
11-27-2014, 10:39 PM
If I could get rid of the AR I "had" to have for anything close to what I have in it I would in a minute.

osteodoc08
11-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my RRA and Sig 716, but am not as enamored with them like I thought I'd be. When I'm digging around my safe before going to the range, I look over my stuff and continue to grab my various pistol caliber lever actions, my Mk3 Hunter and (gasp) P22. Every now and then my Smith 15/22 and more rarely my AR's or MSR or whatever acronym we are using for them now. Good enough to keep and hang on to, but just don't "do it" for me anymore.

Beagle333
11-27-2014, 11:04 PM
SKS. Couldn't hit anything with it. No wonder they come with a bayonet. After emptying the thing, you're still gonna have to fight 'em somehow.

Bonz
11-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Yes I did, bought a Colt New Agent chambered in 9mm. I could not get over the 'no sights' on the pistol. Even bought laser grips for it but just did not like it. Invested 1300.00 and sold it for 750.00 :-(

dk17hmr
11-27-2014, 11:18 PM
The only rifle I thought I would fall in love with was a Savage 340 in 30-30. I liked it for awhile, it shot well.....there was just something I didn't like about it and I don't really know what it was. I like ARs a lot and have several but I use them as trade stock.....just traded a pretty nice 16" Carbine I put together on the cheap for a Kimber 8400 300wsm. The guys around here offer up some really nice rifles and handguns and are usually always willing to trade for an AR carbine.

Quiettime
11-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Diamondback DB9. Just too slim, recoil was somewhat unmanageable with the too-thin grip. P938 solved that problem

foxhole
11-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Zip 22 OR, hate it!

Down South
11-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Bought a S&W 460 several yrs back. I still scratch my head and wonder why. It is a safe queen.

Ithaca Gunner
11-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Browning BPR .22 Magnum. Never did get a full magazine to feed through it, had to disassemble to clear jams, 100% JUNK!

MaryB
11-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Don't hate it but my Mosin Nagant 91/30 is just to heavy for comfort for my bad neck and shoulders so it is on the selling block

gew98
11-28-2014, 12:23 AM
Thought the HK91 was the shiznit so I got one back in the 80's. Hated it from the get go after bringing it home...loathed it. 3 years ago I found myself buying a heavy barreled PTR91 with all kinds of accessories and went through all the hate again and got rid of it in short order. I won't own one ever again !.

Multigunner
11-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Bought a milsurp rifle once, put some money into fixing it up into a very good shooter, but every time I held it I got a creepy feeling that something evil was attached to it. Perhaps some war crime or the lingering ghost of a soldier killed in battle.
Never felt that way about any other weapon of any kind.
Sold it back to the guy I got it from, he later told me had begun to get the same creepy feeling about it, like some thing was in the steel that was putting out some kind of force. He sold it off as well.

I've read of the Japanese testing a sword by putting the blade in a steam and letting a leave float against the edge. If the leaf floated past the blade it was good to go, if the edge sliced the leaf then the blade would end up killing its owner.

I've felt a similar feeling when looking over used cars and later found someone had died while driving it and the car had been rebuilt from a wreck.

I have noticed I can sometimes feel magnetic fields and sense metal objects in the dark. Apparently that runs in the family.
Maybe that rifle had a slight magnetic field in the steel.

dilly
11-28-2014, 01:22 AM
I shoot rifles left handedly. I thought that the straight pull would be a great way for me to get into the mil surp game and bought a 96/11. If anything the straight pull is harder to use. It may come up on here swapping and selling sometime, because I may just get rid of dies and brass as well.

I will just have to accept that right handed bolt actions simply don't fit me well.

Multigunner
11-28-2014, 02:14 AM
I will just have to accept that right handed bolt actions simply don't fit me well.
If you haven't tried the Lee Enfields give one a try out. Two friends are left handed and the low comb allows them to reach over the comb and manipulate the bolt very swiftly. The short bolt throw and about 70 degree bolt left helps as well.

Bob in Revelstoke
11-28-2014, 02:45 AM
I never met a gun I didn't like, (although some more than others)

lcclower
11-28-2014, 02:57 AM
Colt Python, circa 1971. Pretty, but leaded ferociously. Had to shoot half jackets, traded it for S&W Highway Patrol model. Ugly but worked like a charm, shot it until it rattled like a M12 Winchester.

osteodoc08
11-28-2014, 04:03 AM
Bought a milsurp rifle once, put some money into fixing it up into a very good shooter, but every time I held it I got a creepy feeling that something evil was attached to it. Perhaps some war crime or the lingering ghost of a soldier killed in battle.
Sold it back to the guy I got it from, he later told me had begun to get the same creepy feeling about it, like some thing was in the steel that was putting out some kind of force. He sold it off as well.

I've read of the Japanese testing a sword by putting the blade in a steam and letting a leave float against the edge. If the leaf floated past the blade it was good to go, if the edge sliced the leaf then the blade would end up killing its owner.

I've felt a similar feeling when looking over used cars and later found someone had died while driving it and the car had been rebuilt from a wreck.

I have noticed I can sometimes feel magnetic fields and sense metal objects in the dark. Apparently that runs in the family.

Youre not the first person I've heard mention stuff like that. Sometimes that sixth sense throws off a vibe you just can't shake.

shooter2
11-28-2014, 07:50 AM
I never met a gun I didn't like, (although some more than others)

You have to keep trying then:-))

JSnover
11-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Handi-Rifle in 45-70. It held two MOA out of the box and I'm sure it would have done better. But i ran out of windage and the groups were still more than a foot to the right at 100 yards. And if you didn't slam it shut, the action wouldn't lock. It's very disturbing to have a breech loader pop open when you pull the trigger.

GL49
11-28-2014, 09:06 AM
S&W 6906. If it had a stainless steel frame, it would be fine. Nothing wrong with it's accuracy or reliability, it just feels strange when it's empty. It's the first and last non-steel framed firearm I'll ever own.

Petrol & Powder
11-28-2014, 09:42 AM
I've ended up with a few that made me wonder what the initial attraction was but had more that just fell out of favor.

An Argentinian Hi-Power (OK but not great), A Ruger mini-14 (junk), a couple of Colt D-frames that wouldn't shoot, more than one cheap shotgun that shot fine but was ugly and a couple of pistols like a Beretta Type M or an original Remington Model 51 that was very cool at first but not cool enough to keep.

BUT I've also had the opposite experience from time to time and purchased a gun that I thought would be OK and fill a small need that later turned out to be a great gun. That included some very plain Jane revolvers like Security-six's and S&W K-frames that I'll never part with.

Some of the impulsiveness of youth gets tempered with age. As I get older the urgency to part with my hard earned money fades and I'm fine to let someone else buy it. That results in fewer purchases that I later regret.

Love Life
11-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Sure.

Gar
11-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately I've bought two guns in my lifetime I thought I really wanted which turn into "Why did I ever buy these".

First one was a S&W SW9VE pistol, worst gun S&W ever produced, had trigger pull 9 pounds and felt like a coarse file being drug over a lava stone. Finally sold it to someone else who thought he really wanted it.

Second one is a Uberti, Schofield Center Break Revolver. nice gun just doesn't fit my hand and the recoil bites.

Tallbald
11-28-2014, 11:16 AM

I agree that some items can have "bad juju". My family also has heightened senses like you post about. There are many things we do not understand about human relationship with the non-physical world. Some folks are fascinated by "blood guns" that in one way or another have death or sadness attached to them. I have zero interest in nazi (lower case meant) stamped guns, daggers and such and won't have them in my home because of the evil they represent. I also refuse to have satanic looking things, spirit boards, suicide guns and such here either.
Anyway, as to guns we thought we wanted.... In the early 90's I bought a Vector UZI made from South African parts and a Group Industries receiver. Collected thousands of rounds of cheap 9mm rounds, six normal capacity magazines and a few accessories. The trigger was not great but it was an accurate folding stock carbine with a "cool" factor despite the 16 inch barrel. It never though filled the niche I thought it would. Not a bench gun, not useful for deer (in my opinion), not accurate enough for varmint hunting and heavy for caliber. After a few requisite mag dumps trying to see how fast it would fire, it went in the safe and sat there clean but un-used for years. Sort of an expensive novelty. Fast forward to about 2009 when Penny and I were at a wonderful smaller gun shop one county over. In the case was a beautiful Ruger Blackhawk in stainless steel, sporting a 4 5/8 inch barrel, and a fit and finish nicer than I had seen on a production gun in quite a while. And in another cabinet was a beautiful Bond .45 Colt "Texas Ranger" derringer that Penny thought was cute as a bugs ear. As I recall, I traded the UZI and accessories straight across fro the two handguns, which at the time was a good deal forboth us and the dealer. Much happiness is attached to the two handguns. The Bond became one of a trio or handguns for Penny called "The Three Roses", which includes the Bond, a stainless Ruger Bearcat, and an NAA Mini all in a fitted oak display case. Penny named the set and embroidered a trio of roses onto a mint green pad that covers the three in the case. The Blackhawk got completely stripped and given a high polish. I drilled the bottom of the grip frame for a stainless steel lanyard ring of my own making, and installed a brass button trigger over travel stop inside the trigger guard. Black buffalo horn Eagle brand grips acquired in a different, really good trade, adorn the Blackhawk now. It's a beautiful gun that shoots great and often comes out of the safe in my hands as a "thinkin gun" while watching TV. Penny is quick to show friends and trusted guests the Three Roses too. So. from mag dumps to slow and classic style we went and though the UZI is an example of classic military function, the two handguns are timeless styles that get a lot more admiration and use. Don

mozeppa
11-28-2014, 11:24 AM
i never have...but my brother bought a hi-point .40 cal auto.

EVERYTIME it fired (when it did) the magazine puked out on the ground!:bigsmyl2:

NoAngel
11-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Every 1911 I've ever owned. Took me half a dozen to realize I hated them all.

karlrudin
11-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Only weapon I really hated was a Lee Enfield S.M.L.E. No matter what I did with it, it kicked like a Montana mule. No mods done to it, just straight from the factory. I didn't stay long. Caliber wise, I hated 22 wmr. Had one the exact model as my 22lr. The wmr couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if you were inside. Traded it off quick for a john boat and a tatoo. I got the better deal.

1Shirt
11-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Had a 99 Sav in 358 that kicked like a mule, shot like a million, with cast bullets, and I sold it because of recoil. Really a stupid move, as I could have put a good recoil pad on it. The last one I saw at a gun show had a price tag on it of over 1000.00. I really regret that I sold it!
1Shirt!

Multigunner
11-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Only weapon I really hated was a Lee Enfield S.M.L.E. No matter what I did with it, it kicked like a Montana mule. No mods done to it, just straight from the factory.
The SMLE and No.4 were possibly the last Military rifles to have a "Musket Breech" buttplate. Most bolt action rifles since 1900 have had a much flatter butt plate that better distributes the felt recoil.
The LE butt was made for use by a man in full kit, web gear straps and jacket or coat. Fully dressed for cold weather the recoil isn't that bad.
The drop at heel and low comb were for rapid target aquisition on the move while wearing head gear with chin straps, the 19th century light tropical helmets and later the WW1 and WW2 tin hats. The Mauser stock was more intended for deliberate aimed fire from a prone or other fixed position. When firing on the move the Germans weren't that effective. The British did not care for the comb of the Mauser style stocks.

Felt recoil of the LE is greater than that of the Garand, more due to the Garands flat "Shotgun Breech" buttplate than its gas system.

19th century sporting rifles could be ordered with "Musket" or "Carbine" breech, much like those of military rifles of the BP period, "Rifle Breech" which was the crescent buttplate meant to be rested on the upper arm rather than the shoulder itself, only suited to lighter recoiling rifles, or the "Shotgun breech" that was flat to better distribute recoil of large caliber powerful rifles.
As Smokeless powders made recoil sharper the Shotgun Breech became pretty much the standard for centerfire rifles.

dragon813gt
11-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Had a 99 Sav in 358 that kicked like a mule, shot like a million, with cast bullets, and I sold it because of recoil. Really a stupid move, as I could have put a good recoil pad on it. The last one I saw at a gun show had a price tag on it of over 1000.00. I really regret that I sold it!
1Shirt!

I would really regret that one as well. They usually sell for around $1500 minimum. That cartridge is a thumper to say the least.

Forgetful
11-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Pistol carbines. :violin:

I wanted to shoot cheaper pistol ammo. I should have just stuck with 5.56x45 and 7.62x39.
I have a couple 22lr's and several long-action rifles, but there is some kind of allure to pistol carbines... they whisper to me, "make me a better rifle PLEASE" and I try and try but, they're all direct blowbacks :(

Multigunner
11-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Too bad you can't just order up a 7.63 Mauser carbine like the one the Kaiser carried because he had a withered left arm.
The Destroyer bolt actions are another option.
I'd been looking for a small center fire bolt action to rebarrel to 7.62X25 when I found a really nice savage 23B with perfect bore. These seem to have the receiver milled from the barrel itself so rebarreling would have been out of the question even if the bore had not been like new. The 23B in .25-20 fills any need I'd have for a centerfire in this power range. Cartridges are expensive though.
Be nice to have a handgun in the same caliber, but revolvers with a long enough cylinder just aren't in my price range, maybe a contender one day.

pretzelxx
11-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Never bought it as its an m249. But those things are junk. The small parts that hold it together fall out on their own. The springs for loading the next round are held in by mild pressure and any amount of dirt and it seems to jam. Not fun. Same with a MK19, jams left and right!

JSnover
11-28-2014, 01:16 PM
I owned a Cobray M-11 9mm for a while, with a 16" barrel and detachable stock. Bought it for the coolness factor. It would jam, fail to fire, stovepipe... With the stock attached it would shoot about 10" low at 50 yards. Sometimes I think I could have tuned it up, other times I think I was smart to trade it away.

bangerjim
11-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Love ALL my revolvers and long guns. NOT AR's! Never wanted one....never will. I love my Mossy 223/5.56 bolt action rifle. Shoots plenty fast enough for me. And with a 30 round mag in there, I can shoot for quite a while B4 popping another one in!

Semi auto pistols.............they're, OK if you cannot hit what you are aiming at..........in 6 shots!!!!!!! Practice leads to (almost) perfect!

My 9mm S&W really blows for accuracy and THAT is one gun I wish I did not ever buy!!!!!! Give me a 38SPL or 45LC any day.

banger

montana_charlie
11-28-2014, 01:44 PM
I have an AR.

My real interest when it comes to rifles is singleshot guns, but I could never standoff a crew of invaders with one of those.
One day it dawned on me that, except for Dad's 30-30, I didn't own a centerfire repeater.

So, I bought the parts to build an AR, ordered in a bit over two thousand rounds of ammo, checked the gun for operation and adjusted the sights.
Now, it is put away in a ready condition for when the SHTF.

I don't shoot it for fun, and I do enough shooting with other peep-sighted rifles to not need much practice.

When / if my situation or politics change, I'll get rid of the AR.

CM

starmac
11-28-2014, 02:08 PM
I have bought several guns over the years I knew I didn't want, just to help someone out. I have also bought a couple that I just didn't like once I got them. One was a charter arms ar7 survival type 22 that would float. I thought it would be the berries for a boat gun, and there was nothing particularly wrong with it, but just didn't like it.

Forgetful
11-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Up here there was a lot of hype against the "T97" or Type-97 (not the 1897) so I wanted to hate it for myself. I went and bought one, and loved it! Simple battle rifle type design, easy to break down without tools. Bullpup configuration, STANAG mag-well. Meant to be kept simple like the SKS. Fun little rifle. A little shorter than an M4. Has never jammed on me, and dispenses 5.56 like a beast.

Oh wait, you guys aren't allowed to own those, are you?

Artful
11-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Oh wait, you guys aren't allowed to own those, are you?
Type 97 bullpup - hmm
Friends own Bushmaster bullpup, AUG's, Tavor's - can't recall Type 97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1Hi1t1CwE

Ah, China special's - nope we have been cut off by are fearless leaders from getting them - sort of like your RCMP did to you - good of them to let them back into Canukistan.

Forgetful
11-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Type 97 bullpup - hmm
Friends own Bushmaster bullpup, AUG's, Tavor's - can't recall Type 97

There isn't much on youtube about them. The pic I linked has the 1913 upper instead of a carry handle, with the iron sights cut off. It's an export model, based on the chi-com QBZ-95B rifle.

HATCH
11-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Several......
Built a FAL - really nice rifle. I just didn't like the recoil
Built a G3 - thought recoil might be different but it wasn't.
Bought a norinco Uzi, it was heavy.
Bought a mac-11 9mm - lots of fun to shot but wasn't practical.

karlrudin
11-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Thought the HK91 was the shiznit so I got one back in the 80's. Hated it from the get go after bringing it home...loathed it. 3 years ago I found myself buying a heavy barreled PTR91 with all kinds of accessories and went through all the hate again and got rid of it in short order. I won't own one ever again !.

Man, I love my HK-91. Just hate trying to find the brass that got thrown into the next county. This gun definitely needs a brass catcher lol

MaryB
11-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Simple fix, or send it back, Hi Point fixes it for free and sends back a free extra mag for your troubles. No matter what lifetime warranty.

i never have...but my brother bought a hi-point .40 cal auto.

EVERYTIME it fired (when it did) the magazine puked out on the ground!:bigsmyl2:

geargnasher
11-28-2014, 10:16 PM
I've dodged several, never spent cash on something I didn't like.

Kahr Arms .40. Top heavy, near impossible to control, not much to hang on to. Friend who had it traded it shortly.
S&W Scandium Airlite .38 +P. Kicks like heck. Might as well own a stainless J-frame and shoot full-house loads, more comfy and not that much heavier.
Glock. Good guns. Possibly great guns. Shot them a bunch in all sorts of configurations and calibers. HATED them all (lifelong 1911 shooter, I'm not going to relearn muscle memory so they point on target for ANY plastic pistol).
SKS. Busted my lip and nose first trigger pull. Couldn't hit the side of a barn. PITA to reload.
AR-anything. Fine guns, know how to shoot them, actually pretty proficient with one, but I have no use for any. If a Winchester 1300 riot gun or Marlin 336 won't take care of any problem that may arise at my house, I'm gonna be dead anyway.
British Enfield. I just don't like them.
The .44 Magnum. Until Ruger starts making the Deerslayer again, I won't own anything chambered in that caliber. .45 Colt and .357/.38 for me, please.

I suppose I've been fortunate to get a little experience with everything I thought I MIGHT want before buying into it. Most of what I have I got because I got to shoot one and DUG it.

I'm enjoying single-shot rifles/carbines and revolvers more and more these days.

Gear

daniel lawecki
11-28-2014, 10:36 PM
I have about 40 guns and don't have any I don't like.

John Allen
11-28-2014, 11:10 PM
I find myself the older I get going to older guns. The newest gun I shoot with any regularty is my M1. I mainly shoot single shots. I have shilohs but really like shooting the original stuff like the trapdoors, highwalls and ballards.

To each there own.

Fergie
11-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Glock 19. I had bought a G17 for my wife, and she loves it. I started shooting it as well, and figured I wouldn't mind a G19 for a CCW....wrong. Went back to my ol' snub nose after a month or so. Sold it for what I bought it for; no skin off my nose.

On the flip side, I traded a BPC rolling block replica for a .44mag Redhawk. I fell in love with the RH to the point that it comes with me to the range no matter what...I love shooting that gun.

That trade lead me to trade a Guide Gun in .45-70 for a Winchester 1894AE in .44 magnum.

badbob454
11-29-2014, 12:09 AM
only the ones that don't shoot or jamb up every third shot

Motor
11-29-2014, 12:34 AM
I've had a few. It really sucks when when they were gifts from your wife and you asked her for them. Here are a couple:

Ruger SR9: Nice pistol but: Too big for CC, Striker fired which makes it hard to shoot accuratly.

Ruger 10-22 Rifle (not carbine) a Anaversary gift from you know who. Walnut stock was too long for me and I didn't have the heart to alter it.

Mauser48
11-29-2014, 12:45 AM
I have looked at buying a nice target/varmint rifle but I always go back to milsurps! Walked out of the last gun show with a 1903-A3!

Artful
11-29-2014, 02:14 AM
I've had a few. It really sucks when when they were gifts from your wife and you asked her for them. Here are a couple:

Ruger SR9: Nice pistol but: Too big for CC, Striker fired which makes it hard to shoot accuratly.

Ruger 10-22 Rifle (not carbine) a Anaversary gift from you know who. Walnut stock was too long for me and I didn't have the heart to alter it.

I'd just look for another stock to alter and swap out on your 10/22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Ruger-40th-Anniversary-stock-for-a-Ruger-10-22-/191426854223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c91edfd4f
I have some rifles with 3-4 stocks.

lightman
11-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Yeah, for me it was a lever action Marlin in 44 mag. I thought it would be a good companion for my revolvers. It did not like to feed the swc's that I used in my revolvers and the micro-groove rifling did not like any lead bullet. It was fast handling and light, some of the things that I wanted, but it did not shoot well enough to get to stay.

Bonz
11-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Really hate to admit it, but I got sucked into buying a Diamondback DB380 Gen 2. The shop I bought it from said that I needed to send it back to Diamondback. LOL, I don't even want to do that. It just lays in the bottom of my range bag...

dlbarr
11-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Same here. Worst gun I've ever bought.

Tell me about this...I have actually recently considered buying one for concealed carry.

What don't you like about the LCR?

emrah
11-29-2014, 07:08 PM
I too bought a bubba'd sporterized M93 Mauser (1901 Spanish in 7x57). Bought it cheap from a coworker because I always wanted a 7x57 and I like milsurps. It shoots worse than it looks. Going bye bye.

Same thing happened with a Glock 26. I don't know how anyone shoots those fat stubby things. Had it almost a month before I admitted my mistake to myself.

Also had a DPMS Sportical .223 in the first Obama election craze. It had no "soul". Sold it for what I paid in the second Obama craze go round.

Strangely, I now want an S&W M&P15 Sport... Go figure.

Emrah

Fergie
11-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah, for me it was a lever action Marlin in 44 mag. I thought it would be a good companion for my revolvers. It did not like to feed the swc's that I used in my revolvers and the micro-groove rifling did not like any lead bullet. It was fast handling and light, some of the things that I wanted, but it did not shoot well enough to get to stay.

Almost had the same thing happen to me when looking for a lever action 44. Glad I went with the Winchester.

dlbarr
11-29-2014, 07:19 PM
I have but, fortunately, it didn't cost me a bunch of money. Thought I wanted to get into C&B revolvers, so I bought a couple. Fixed up a '51 Navy Colt and resold on gunbroker for about what I had in it. Still have a '58 remington and have done some mods to it but it's not the passion for me that other BP long guns are. Single shots (cartridge & ML) & lever guns have always been my main interest even when I was a young guy.

Never been interested in ARs or any other military-type weapon...unless it's from the AWI or WBTS eras.

Lance Boyle
11-29-2014, 08:00 PM
My trouble is I wish I liked less guns!

A couple paths I went down and double backed. When I lived in shotgun area for deer hunting I wanted a scope, bought 870 special purpose cantilever slug gun, put a scope on it and fricken hated carrying it with the scope, it seemed to bump my wrist a lot. Might not have been so bad if I had cut the stock back and slid the scope more forward. I don't miss it.

Another gun that I liked the looks of but didn't enjoy the ergonomics of; early 9422XTR. Extremely well made and great finish, nice wood. I just hated the straight grip. Years later I bought a 9422XTR Classic with the curved grip, but it's not near as nicely finished as the early gun. I'm not the biggest lever gun fan anyhow. I just don't like the weird feeling cycling a bolt lever with the back of my fingers. It's me, I know.

OK, this is going to be blasphemy here. I really found I don't care to much for single action revolvers. I don't like the grips much and I don't like loading single rounds through a loading gate. I had a .44 super blackhawkhunter, a .357 blackhawk and a a rather inaccurate single six. I do like double action revolvers with swing out cylinders. One of my favorites was a 657 Lew Horton special owned by a friend of mine. That was one accurate hammer. I had a chance to buy a 57 and should have but figured I'd hold out for the stainless brother. Wish I bought it now. I have a thing now for the 70-80's blued Smith revolvers.

I can't think of too many turkeys. I'm a bit discriminating.

Some other guns that I got rid of; Mossberg 500 because the forend rattle annoyed me when I was walking while hunting. click-click click-click click-click. 10-22 because I hated the stock fit and slippery smooth plastic buttplate. If I had a Deluxe I might have kept it.

Guns i wish I didn't get rid of; Ithaca model 87 when they first brought them back out.

Ithaca Gunner
11-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, speaking of shotguns. Every double I ever bought, just can't shoot them. A beautiful Remington 870 Wing Master, new in 1967, 28" vent rib 12ga. that I just can't part with, but I can't shoot worth a darn either, it just don't fit! Now I shoot Ithaca 37's, and rather well.

merlin101
11-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Well lets see, K98 Mauser nicely sporterized in 7mm mag, Beretta 390? 12ga.,Winchester 1200 also in 12 ga., a NRA commemorative Colt 1911 (it does look REAL pretty) , a real cheap .25 acp that never did shoot, a .22mag that jammed ALL the time except the day I test fired it! There's a few more kickin around in closets and safe's, someday I'll clean house.

starmac
11-29-2014, 11:33 PM
I bought a iirc a 597 remington 22 that I had forgot about. I thought that plastic stock would be great in the canoe, 4 wheeler and snowmachine. I only took it out and shot it once, finally got tired of looking at it and my son needed a trapline gun, so I gave it to him. Just couldn't get used to the cheap feel of it.

waynem34
11-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Mr1 benelli. Not that it is a bad gun, I have never fired it and it is new unfired.It does take ar mags so is diff So I dont know. No aftermarket parts none.

MaryB
11-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Why I built my AR from parts I collected over 2 years. Personalized and mine, made for what I wanted

I too bought a bubba'd sporterized M93 Mauser (1901 Spanish in 7x57). Bought it cheap from a coworker because I always wanted a 7x57 and I like milsurps. It shoots worse than it looks. Going bye bye.

Same thing happened with a Glock 26. I don't know how anyone shoots those fat stubby things. Had it almost a month before I admitted my mistake to myself.

Also had a DPMS Sportical .223 in the first Obama election craze. It had no "soul". Sold it for what I paid in the second Obama craze go round.

Strangely, I now want an S&W M&P15 Sport... Go figure.

Emrah

dh2
11-30-2014, 12:14 AM
A Win model 70 in .338 Win. Mag. it would drive tacks, but kicked worse than any thing I have ever shot before or since including my .375 H&H Mag. and .458 Win. Mag.

sthwestvictoria
11-30-2014, 05:25 AM
A great fun thread topic, nice work osteodoc08.

Like Lance Boyle states this is going to blasphemy here but for me it is the pre-64 Winchester 1894. I can't fault it mechanically, has never lay down, from the little Lee TL-90-314-SWC to 170 grain it feeds them all and nary a misfire and accurate as I am with the aperture sights. However it is the thin forewood and thin, straight wrist that just don't sit well for me. I had a marlin for a while and the more curved and fuller wrist seemed to suit me. I may return to one.

claude
11-30-2014, 05:36 AM
Yeah I did, it was a Ruger LC9, sold it pronto.

jonp
11-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Couple. 2 kel-tec 380's I bought as pocket pistols for my wife and I. If either were not jamming they would not fire. Triggers so hard to pull my wife could not do it without pulling the gun a few feet off target. Both total junk and got rid of both.
Springfield V10 Ultra Compact. Shot fine but with the ported barrel I was afraid to carry it. What good is surviving a fight if your deaf?

jonp
11-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Simple fix, or send it back, Hi Point fixes it for free and sends back a free extra mag for your troubles. No matter what lifetime warranty.
I have 2 9mm's. Got one used and after taking it apart found out that someone had removed a few parts for the magazine disconnect which caused the mar to be very loose. Its a common "fix" of something that is not broken. I got an exploded diagram of the gun, figured out what was gone and called hi point. They sent me the parts next day free of charge. Both guns are cheap, ugly and a couple of the best pointing guns I have. Both have also never jammed with any type of ammo. If your on a severe budget and need a nightstand gun I absolutely recommend them.
Also, the strange pebbly finish strikes me as a great finish for a carry gun.

koehlerrk
11-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Yes I have... just this spring in fact. Bought a TC Venture in 22-250. Nice rifle, shot good, but I after six months I determined that I do not care for plastic stocks. That Venture was my first and my last. Traded it off and now I'm looking for a CZ 550 to replace it.

gew98
11-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Almost had the same thing happen to me when looking for a lever action 44. Glad I went with the Winchester.

I am the opposite. Got a marlin in 357 and it's a tackdriver. Have a near new win in 44mag and I can't hit with it and have not seen a Marlin 44mag in my aea in forever.

Brett Ross
11-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Charles daley 12 over and under. Thought I always wanted one but hard for me to shoot with a wrist that has lost all of it rotation. I would instsll a pistol grip on it but the wood is just too nice. It sits in the safe.

starmac
11-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Like Lance Boyle states this is going to blasphemy here but for me it is the pre-64 Winchester 1894. I can't fault it mechanically, has never lay down, from the little Lee TL-90-314-SWC to 170 grain it feeds them all and nary a misfire and accurate as I am with the aperture sights. However it is the thin forewood and thin, straight wrist that just don't sit well for me. I had a marlin for a while and the more curved and fuller wrist seemed to suit me. I may return to one.

That is funny, I am just the opposite. I prefer a win over a marlin, for the same reason you prefer marlins. lol

Lance Boyle
11-30-2014, 06:35 PM
I get it starmac, the levers look right with the straight grip, more correct if you will. My wrist just doesn't like the angle and my fingers don't like the lever throw anyhow especially on the 94 with its lack of smoothness.

ETA The winchester wins hands down in the weight category. The Marlins are chunky like Ruger revolvers.

I thought I'd take more heat over the single action disfavor. [ducks]

MaryB
11-30-2014, 10:52 PM
I have a C9, over 1k rounds through it with zero failures and the thing is accurate! for a $129 gun that doubles as a hammer or a club in an emergency...

I have 2 9mm's. Got one used and after taking it apart found out that someone had removed a few parts for the magazine disconnect which caused the mar to be very loose. Its a common "fix" of something that is not broken. I got an exploded diagram of the gun, figured out what was gone and called hi point. They sent me the parts next day free of charge. Both guns are cheap, ugly and a couple of the best pointing guns I have. Both have also never jammed with any type of ammo. If your on a severe budget and need a nightstand gun I absolutely recommend them.
Also, the strange pebbly finish strikes me as a great finish for a carry gun.

starmac
11-30-2014, 11:04 PM
I get it starmac, the levers look right with the straight grip, more correct if you will. My wrist just doesn't like the angle and my fingers don't like the lever throw anyhow especially on the 94 with its lack of smoothness.

ETA The winchester wins hands down in the weight category. The Marlins are chunky like Ruger revolvers.

I thought I'd take more heat over the single action disfavor. [ducks]

Well now that you mentioned it, I favor single actions too. lol It is handier loading the double actions when I am just out wasteing ammo though. Don't get me wrong, I like my marlins too, heck I like em all. lol

TXGunNut
11-30-2014, 11:30 PM
There's another gun that falls into this category that I'm trying to forget. I bought an H&K 94 from a friend, complete with the H&K detachable scope mount. I wasn't impressed. The only fun part was hearing the bullets smack the backstop after the report of the gun. So I sold it for what I paid for it; $500. This was 1987. Some of us know what happened in 1988, gun went up over $2500 overnite when importation was banned. Still get a little heartburn when I think of it.

30Carbine
11-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Ok I collect m1 carbines and I mean a lot of them, I have 4 that no matter what I do you can't hit nothing with. so they sit there and collect dust, they have sticky notes on them that says expensive parts only.helping a buddy out and got fried by the price.. and if your wondering if you take 2 ben franklins and break them up I have just north of that many..

Blanco
12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I thought I had to have a new S&W M&P PRO series and a Shield in .40
The pro was sensitive to ammo and had a funky sighting arrangement, never got it to work for me. Real shame too one of the few pistols that fit my hands.
The Shield was just a pain in everything. PUNISHING recoil and always shot high and right no matter what I did. Really dissatisfied and traded them both on a nice Over & Under shotgun that I have had much more fun with

osteodoc08
12-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Thank you. I'm sure if I dig around it's been done many a time over, but fun nonetheless

while I'm working, I'd work is done and im
in idle mode, I'm on the CB site. Love this place.

bikerbeans
12-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Yes...a Glock.

I had to buy 3 of them before I figured it out.

BB

robg
12-03-2014, 10:59 AM
hk p7m8 could not get on with the squeese cocking felt wrong ,my wife loved it

armexman
12-03-2014, 11:56 AM
CETME, thought I needed a 308; tons of magazines and extra parts. Paid 300 sold it for 800 with everything except like new HK91 magazines. Now I have an Ishapore that allows me to reload cast 308 for ever;)

paul h
12-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Only one I can think of:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/Microgunner/NAA-22S004.jpg

Came across one in a gun shop, it was so "cute" I just had to have it. The novelty wore off shortly after firing it.

Word to the wise, never buy a gun because it's cute. Cute is good for women and puppies, not for tools and never for guns.

Smoke4320
12-03-2014, 03:02 PM
several
Winchester 1300 Turkey Special .. beautiful engraved receiver, green camo laminated wood.. Fell in love with its looks .. took her home loved her a little ...could not cook worth a darn ...went back to my old Springfield Pump
Desert Eagle 50 AE .. every ejected case would hit me in the forehead.. Started wearing a cap just to lessen the blow .. Got old real quick
Ruger Redhawk .. 44 mag .. never liked the grip angle on revolvers... give me a 45 grip any day.. With that said I love contenders

badgerblaster
12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
CZ52 with chrome finish.
Looks kind of cool in a really ugly way.
I kind of like the 7.62x25 cartridge but I can't hit anything with that gun.
It is by far the most uncomfortable gun to shoot that I own.

3leggedturtle
12-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Yeah 2 of them. A '92 in 25WCF, aint gonna sell it tho til I reload some cast for it, and a 16" T/C 9mm barrel. Can't believe how loud it was.

birddog
12-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Blasphemy is all I have to say. Hell no I love every gun I buy and regret everyone I got rid of even if I didn't use them. Ya they cost us, but they don't eat. Only when fed of course. As it goes there are only 2 enemies of our guns, RUST & POLITICIANS!!!!
Charlie

Artful
12-03-2014, 09:16 PM
CZ52 with chrome finish.
Looks kind of cool in a really ugly way.
I kind of like the 7.62x25 cartridge but I can't hit anything with that gun.
It is by far the most uncomfortable gun to shoot that I own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEasYDZKEE

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=4980.0

Get rid of trigger slap
http://www.harringtonproducts.com/troubleshooting.php

Get the spring upgrade for CZ52 -
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/52/cID1/mID16/dID90
Fit the 18.5 pound recoil spring to replace the stock 14 pound spring
It slows down the slide velocity and reduces felt recoil.

Keep in mind that while the bottlenecked Tokarev cartridge feeds very reliably, some of the surplus ammunition available on the market now is known to have poor quality brass of insufficient ductility and they sometimes split along the case body behind the base of the shoulder due to brittleness. And some of the Bulgarian and Czech ammo was loaded very HOT indeed.
Regular ammo from 5 in was like 1400-1450 fps the other was more than 1600-1700 fps!
Like shooting a 30 carbine handgun so double up on your ear protection (plugs and muffs)

AZ-JIM
12-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Daewoo DH40. Yeah yeah Daewoo should have said it all, but 2 good friends of mine had just purchased Daewoo's .223 AR style rifle and they looked to be well made and shot well. It was my first handgun and I thought I would give it a shot. Without fail it would stovepipe at least 1 round per mag full. I wrote the manufacturer, sent it in, got 2 11 round mags back instead of the 10 rounders. Still had the same problem, sold it at the next gunshow and came home with a SW 6" 586 that looked near brand new and have never regretted it.

az-jim

fouronesix
12-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I've bought or traded for a bunch that were later sold. Never regretted selling most of them. Still have a few that need selling just haven't gotten a round tuit. Sometimes I'll buy one if the $ is on market par just to see what all the fuss is about. I'll load for them to learn function, reliability and accuracy potential. I'll take them apart, study the history, study how they were built and the overall quality and how well the design really works. Then I'll know what the fuss is all about or if, in reality, it's just a bunch of market hype. Pig with lipstick comes to mind with a lot of the more recent guns…. and even some from a little farther back.

The models and brands are too numerous to list or describe even if I could remember them all. I've never regretted getting or building certain ones for sure and will likely have them at my passing.

MaryB
12-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Grips on those things are the most uncomfortable and useless I have ever shot

Only one I can think of:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/Microgunner/NAA-22S004.jpg

Came across one in a gun shop, it was so "cute" I just had to have it. The novelty wore off shortly after firing it.

Word to the wise, never buy a gun because it's cute. Cute is good for women and puppies, not for tools and never for guns.

TXGunNut
12-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Grips on those things are the most uncomfortable and useless I have ever shot...Mary

I've had one in .22 mag for years. At best it's a last-ditch hideout gun. It's also a great gun to hide in plain sight around the house, just gather it up when company shows up. Somebody may think it's a toy.

trapper9260
12-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Never bought a gun that I didn't want because I want them all.

I am the same way ,even when I had one that did give me problems I get taken care of one way or another.

Lance Boyle
12-04-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm kind of that way. Hell I even shot a friend's HiPoint carbine and liked it. Yea it's quality is cheesy but it is a handy and fun concept. Oh and it worked.

C. Latch
12-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Cute is good for women and puppies, not for tools and never for guns.

I'm at the point in life where, with a great deal of hindsight, I'd say that cute can be just as dangerous on women and puppies as it is on tools and guns. YMMV.

Harter66
12-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Oh how I luster after M12 Winchesters not the traps with $800 stocks but the working class. I have that 2nd 1 and oh how I've cussed her. The wood was is satin finish over a nice 50s almost striped almost fanned walnut ......... that little bxxxx slaps like a Louiseville slugger. 1 of these days I'll flatten the drop a little and fix it. If it were the 1st I'd have set her packing on the way home.

The 1200 Winchester now there's 1 that I will never regret seeing go away,for those that don't know them,they are a pump and we're advertised with 3 in the air pictures. The reason is that the action uses the last of the case push to open it up ....... rotten lousy finger biters is what they are . Trap loads were ok but forget game loads or anything in a 3" case.
I'd always thought 1 of those single shot 45 410s would be cool too ......let down ,it didn't shoot 45s or 410s especially well ,although a 460 S&W case did help it would shoot 4" at 40 yd. It always shot a full pattern left without the mega choke with it it was practically a shot slug out to 60 yd or so ... don't miss it.

paul h
12-04-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm at the point in life where, with a great deal of hindsight, I'd say that cute can be just as dangerous on women and puppies as it is on tools and guns. YMMV.

When it comes to women, I'm reminded of the advice the old knight gives Indiana Jones in the last crusade, "Choose wisely"

firefly1957
12-04-2014, 09:01 PM
I bought a Chinese double stage coach gun and a Hatfield flintlock that i did not like the double is gone and I have thought of putting the Flintlock up for sale a dozen times.

MaryB
12-04-2014, 11:58 PM
High points are fun, and can always be used as a club if needed. Break it ship it back and they fix it no questions asked.

I'm kind of that way. Hell I even shot a friend's HiPoint carbine and liked it. Yea it's quality is cheesy but it is a handy and fun concept. Oh and it worked.

Blanco
12-09-2014, 02:38 PM
I had a hi-Point carbine in 9mm fun to shoot, but my buddies never let me live it down that I actually paid money to own one. That and the 10 round mag was a real pain to load so often. I sold it for more than I paid for it. My buddies still Razz me about it.

Garyshome
12-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Nope! I bought it to re sell it....but I decided to keep too many of them. But I still have a few I want to get rid of.

docone31
12-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I got a Charter arms Explorer .22 pistol. What ****. I fired it a couple of mags, then proceeded to trade it in. It was very hard to fire. I am sure someone might like it, but I absolutely did not.
I got a revolver and downright wore it out with use. Loved it.

Cornbread
12-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Remington 700 .223. Thought I would shoot the heck out of it but never did, I only ever shot it twice. I gave it to my son for a Christmas present and he shoots it all the time.

PULSARNC
12-11-2014, 10:05 PM
A cousin died several years ago .His wife generously offered each of us surviving cousins a long gun and pistol from his collection as she had no use for all of them .Always wanted a mini-14 so I took that instead of one of the hunting type rifles .Biggest blunder of all time .Not accurate enuff for varmints and too small for deer .Fun to shoot but just not my thing .As the man said Only accurate guns are interesting thinking about selling it off .

osteodoc08
12-12-2014, 09:29 AM
PULSARNC, just hold on to the Ruger. Family guns should stay in the family.

Not a gun, but I wish I had of listened to my buddy 45cal and bought a Dillon instead of the LnL. Too many small part problems. Never had that with my SDB or my fathers 550. That reminds me, I need to call them again today for some parts.

DLCTEX
12-12-2014, 01:31 PM
When Savage came out with the Stryker I really had to have one in 22-250. It was too short and awkward for a hunting rifle and too big for a pistol. A pistol scope proved to be a pain to align with the eye with no stock to anchor my head, and a red dot limited accurate shooting to less than 100 yds, negating the 22-250 long range accuracy. I finally traded it for a Stevens 22-250 which I will be happy with as soon as I replace the tupperware stock.

oldsagerat
12-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Real nice Marlin 336 built in the 50's. Wanted it to shoot cast boolits. Shot j-word bullets well, only shot cast boolits sideways.
It went down the road quickly. Would like a Marlin 336 with a
TIGHT chamber and ballard rifling. I am not holding my breath.

sleeper1428
12-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Bought a Taurus PT99AF 9mm back in the late 1980's, a pistol that I still have and which will take virtually any cast bullet design I've ever thrown at it with never a FTF. A couple of years after that purchase, Taurus came out with the PT100AF (it might have been PT101AF but I can't recall), chambered in 40S&W, and so going on my excellent experience with my first Taurus, I bought one of those new models. That pistol, in contrast to the 9mm, would feed absolutely NO cast bullet - I had four different designs from SAECO and Lee as I recall - no matter what OAL I used. Finally gave up and traded it in on a Glock 22, another pistol that I still own and shoot as often as possible. The Glock will handle every cast bullet design I've ever tried and with a Lone Wolf barrel, is one of my favorite handguns. I guess I wasn't the only person to have problems with the Taurus in that design and in 40S&W since I note that Taurus no longer carries that model in 40S&W. Live and learn ....

sleeper1428

rmark
12-14-2014, 12:20 AM
Had a CZ52 that bit my trigger finger, M95 Nagant pistol with typical heavy trigger pull, Tokarev that I never could work out a load for, colt copy percussion revolvers, 8mm Turkish mauser with ringed barrel - all went away. I keep coming back to archaic rifles - muzzleloaders, trapdoors, rolling blocks, vetterlis, straight pulls - these are what interest me. Waiting for an AR with a 3' barrel and wooden handguard :)

KMac
12-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Saved all my money when I was young and bought a Desert Eagle in .41 Mag. Did not reload at the time and could not afford to shoot it much. When I did the slide would cut a groove on my hand. Guy offered to trade me a S&W 4506 and a lot of cash for it. Shot the 4506, loved it, and made the trade. Was able to shoot quite a bit after that because I could find cheap ammo. Did not miss the Desert Eagle one bit.

Steven Dzupin
12-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Yes a couple of em!

S&W 25-5 .458 throats, .456 barrel . Finally started casting and all went well for awhile. Sold her off.

.30-06 Winchester Sporter. Barrel actually had ribbons of steel at the muzzle and a few inches inboard.
cleaning removed most of the crud. Never shot well. I wanted one of these for a long time.

Wonder why Winchester went out of business.

Last but not least, a beautiful .300 Weatherby Magnum with #2 heavy contour barrel.

Trigger was horrible adjustment did nothing. Replaced it with a Canjar. Norma made brass was too soft.

Weatherby recommended load caused bolt head expansion but primers showed no sign of pressure.

Belts expanded by .005" at least. Best velocity ever was 3,100 fps with a Speer 150 grain bullet and W-W 785 Powder.

Stock was beautiful to look at ,but was totally unstable, had it bedded in Devcon Steel and after all this the barrel

was toast at 650 rounds.

Traded this for a Browning A5 12 gauge that would give a headache after 25 rounds because of the double shuffle long recoil system.

Live and learn, life's experience. :-)

Regards,

Steve

Artful
12-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Waiting for an AR with a 3' barrel and wooden handguard :)

Your not looking hard enough
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/9237P1010026a.jpg

Forgetful
12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Waiting for an AR with a 3' barrel and wooden handguard :)

THREE FEET?! How long of a gas system?

I really wanted one of those sawed-off double-barrel shotguns, one of the legal ones (up here) but just couldn't justify it. Instead got another 870 but configured with a full stock and short barrel (12.5"). Right now I'm again eying an 1887 with dual stocks (full & pistol) in 12ga.. and now I have Terminator 2 playing in my head.

Artful
12-21-2014, 09:11 PM
THREE FEET?! How long of a gas system?

Just a Rifle position should work fine - I've seen it on 24 and 26 in guns without issue.

The gas port MUST be located far enough from the muzzle that the pressure has time to kick the bolt carrier back before the bullet exits about 1/4000th of a second later. That demands that the gas port be a certain size, and a certain distance from the muzzle -- which actually varies, because pressures change as you go further from the chamber.

So shorter barrels need a shorter gas tube, and with the gas port closer to the chamber, the pressures are higher.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/223plot.gif

This means the shorter your gas system is, the higher the pressures it's subjected to. The bolt and carrier are slammed harder; they work harder, and the whole system becomes far more sensitive to anything that's not perfect. In addition, a shorter gas system is inevitably harsher in operation, because it has to cycle in a shorter time.

The original design was the rifle length system, and that's what the gas system is designed around. At rifle length, an aluminum gas block is fine, which keeps weight down. But with the carbine length, the pressures are almost twice as high, and an aluminum gas block will eventually be eroded by the hot gas charges. If you're using a carbine length gas system, or even a mid-length, a steel gas block is recommended.

And rifle length gas systems are standard on 20" and longer barrels, and there's NO reason to ever want to go shorter. In general, the longer your gas system is, the smoother and more reliably it'll operate - though you do need a certain minimum dwell time after the bullet passes the gas port.

Quickdraw4u
01-19-2016, 07:03 PM
One of the new Smith & Wesson PC 686's seven shots with the 3 inch barrel. Too heavy for carry, too short for target practice and had a flaw (wrinkle) in the frame by the barrel . I can't get past the new Altamont grips either. They are pretty but I don't think they were made with the human hand in mind. I traded it and some cash for a used Freedom Arms 97, short-barreled, 45 Colt. Now that's a gun! I also find as I age, I like lever-actions and single-actions much better!

tim338
01-19-2016, 07:41 PM
A Savage 11 scout. I thought I would like the scout concept but hated it. The rifle was accurate enough just couldn't get past the synthetic stock. It's the first and maybe last synthetic stocked rifle I'll own. Although I am curious with the AR platform.

bearcove
01-19-2016, 08:12 PM
475 Linebaugh BFR! That grip did NOT fit, Strained the the thumb tendons, HURT for 3 weeks. My FA 83 no prob. Just like boolets its all in the fit.

catmandu
01-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Worst was a H&R single shot 10 ga. 30 barrel with a cracked stock. I was 14 and could afford it. Kicked so hard it crossed my eyes and made me think of new swear words.

Had a HK P9S 45ACP with a polygonal bore that was a good carry gun but not good for bullseye. Gunny got me a Colt that went thru the match armorers school. At first we didn't get along but over 30 years we've grown on each other. ( allot like being married)

Picked up a 243 Rem 742 that has a soft receiver. Beautiful wood deluxe checkered stock. Wish someone would trade me something I need for it.

Paul in WNY

montana_charlie
01-19-2016, 10:10 PM
I spent months reading about, and falling in love with the whole idea behind the Savage Model 24.
Eventually, after selling a .22 rifle which would become redundant, I acquired a .22 / 20 ga.

I was in Germany at the time, and there was no place where I could make use of the 'flexibility' offered by the new gun.
About a year later, while exploring the environs around Wichita, Kansas i finally got the opportunity I had waited for.

I was somewhat miffed to learn that with the sights adjusted to put the rifle barrel on at forty yards, the shot barrel was not very well regulated to hit the same spot.

In addition, I found that the 'flexibility' was of little use to my common hunting practices.
Using the rifle for cottontails in snow meant there was almost nothing moving that needed a charge of birdshot.
Then, walking the stubble fields in search of dove and quail was much more productive when carrying my 870.

Finally sold the Savage and bought a 10/22. I have never regretted that change ...

Mica_Hiebert
01-19-2016, 10:23 PM
I had a few that did not meet my expectations and hit the road after my first range session, heritage arms 22 pistol with fixed sights hit a foot high and foot left, s&w sve40 had horid every thing, my latest dump was a Enfield with special intrest arms 45 conversion, that kit needs a dedicated 45acp bolt face that the company did not bother to engineer with the rest of the kit no amount of extractor tuning and ejector plungers could make it extract and eject reliably kinda took the fun out of shooting it. I have a springfield xdm40 that I like so much I bought a xdm9 cuz it's cheaper to shoot! Well that was kinda dumb of me because you can buy allot of ammo for 600 bucks... my brother traded me his xdm45 for it that I intended on suppressing but I gave up on that idea and sold it to buy a gp100. I bought a Romanian AK for $325 and sold it for 1200 after Sandy hook. I've bought allot more than I've sold and only one I regret selling was my trusty single six 22lr when times where tight.

Clay M
01-19-2016, 10:31 PM
I like shooting my M1A better than my AR. I just like the M1A's better.
My son enjoys the AR,and since I enjoy shooting with my son more than about anything else in the world, I have an AR.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Yes...a Glock.

+1, had to have a glock 17, bought a gen4 when they came out, put 2500 rounds through it trying to like it and get used to it, 3 months later I took it back to the shop I bought it from and traded it in for a Ruger new model Blackhawk convertible in 357/9mm, which is one of my favorite guns and shows it in good honest wear.

xs11jack
01-19-2016, 11:19 PM
I traded a Springfield XDM 40 because it is too big for me to carry concealed, so I found a Kahr P40. It is the right size, feels good in the hand and at 10 yards it shoots about 8 to 10 inches low and 6 inches the the right. No matter what I do that gun will not shoot straight. I ran about 20 different loads throught it, I changed the way I grip it, and a hundred other things and there it sits, low and to the right. At 15 yards, 10 yards, or even 5 yards. I want to get rid of it and get a Ruger lc9s but I in all honesty can't sell or trade it to someone without telling them the problem and they are going to run when they hear that. So I am stuck with it. I have thought about sending it to the factory but I don't have the money to pop for a bunch of new parts such as barrel or recoil spring and guide or even a new slide. I am just stuck.
Ole Jack, just crying on your shoulder.

Rufus Krile
01-20-2016, 12:21 AM
Had a pretty little Kimber 82 in 22 Hornet. Beautiful rifle. Would put 3 shots under a dime at 100yds. Fourth shot wouldn't stay inside a paper plate. Had to clean it and start over. Tried everything... powders, primers, bullets, cartridge length... lapped the barrel... floated the barrel... tried pressure point on the barrel... Called Kimber, Sierra, several gunsmiths... nothing. Did I mention it was beautiful? I hope whoever owns it now is happy with it. Twenty five years after the fact, I've decided that it was probably a 22lr bbl that got mixed in with their .224 bbls and wasn't ever gonna work with those big bullets. They used the actions for both calibers and would be a natural mistake.

Also had an SKB .410 O/U that I loved... it was magic on doves over a water hole. Then I noticed that the bbls didn't quite 'stack' in the standard figure 8... the bottom bbl pointed a bit southwest... and from then on I couldn't hit the ground with that little shotgun. It had to go.

SSGOldfart
01-20-2016, 12:31 AM
Your not looking hard enough
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/9237P1010026a.jpg
Wow that's one I need really bad where did you find it and who makes it,please send me a PM I've looked for along time for that stock.

Mica_Hiebert
01-20-2016, 12:41 AM
Wow that's one I need really bad where did you find it and who makes it,please send me a PM I've looked for along time for that stock.
rock river arms used to carry the wood furniture, I tried my dangdest to talk my brother out of getting a set, but he had to have it and his stock split and so did the fore end. good luck if you find a set.

M-Tecs
01-20-2016, 12:45 AM

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/furniture-sets/ar-15-m16-wood-stock-sets-prod38906.aspx

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDAR15.html

http://woodforar15.com/product/stock-sets-2/

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/5E9981D35111

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=902&Category_Code=ARA+STOCKS

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m8/ar-15-wood-kits.html

SSGOldfart
01-20-2016, 12:46 AM
My wife won't shoot a plastic stock she wants wooden,I got her a Bushmaster five years ago this may it has never been shot... She can be bullheaded sometimes:wink:

SSGOldfart
01-20-2016, 12:49 AM
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/furniture-sets/ar-15-m16-wood-stock-sets-prod38906.aspx

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDAR15.html

http://woodforar15.com/product/stock-sets-2/

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/5E9981D35111

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=902&Category_Code=ARA+STOCKS

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m8/ar-15-wood-kits.html
Thanks NOW I'll have to find someone who can fit it, but this is a start

Mica_Hiebert
01-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Thanks NOW I'll have to find someone who can fit it, but this is a start

Fit? Their like Legos 10 min home instalation, tops.

TheDoctor
01-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Savage Stryker 7mm-08, with laminate thumbhole wood stock. The gun was laser accurate, but was WAY to heavy for me to shoot unless it was on a bench. And with the muzzle brake on, it would clear the air 30 feet around you of gnats. Couldn't fault the gun, I was inexperienced enough to just not realize what I was getting, and what it's limitations were. And I still cry thinking about what I traded off to get it!

458mag
01-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Savage Stryker 7mm-08, with laminate thumbhole wood stock. The gun was laser accurate, but was WAY to heavy for me to shoot unless it was on a bench. And with the muzzle brake on, it would clear the air 30 feet around you of gnats. Couldn't fault the gun, I was inexperienced enough to just not realize what I was getting, and what it's limitations were. And I still cry thinking about what I traded off to get it!
Put a 458LOTT together once on a p17 action. Now I'm a shooter and I love shooting. Shooting is fun. That beast was no fun at all. Not many cape buffalo, grizels or elephant around here so I sent it on its way and my shoulder has never missed it.

Hickok
01-20-2016, 10:15 AM
I just had to have a DPMS FAL. Well I finally got one, a STG 58. DPMS makes a high quality rifle. Just could never warm up to it. Finally sold it, and still use and love my Springfield M1A NM.

When I pull up the M1A and get a good check weld, it just "feels right." Probably because my Dad got me shooting with an M1 Garand when I was a teenager. From the M1, I went to the M1A and that the way I like it!:grin:

flyingmonkey35
01-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Kel Tech 40 worst gun on the planet.

And I sold my rugger p98 to get it.

20 year's later I'm still kicking myself in the *** over that

sandman228
01-20-2016, 01:26 PM
unfortunately ive done it a few times first time years ago was a keltec p11 then a few years ago a Taurus judge public defender . more recently a couple of glocks .I'm sure there were others too

gwpercle
01-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Heck yes ! While complaining after making a trade that wasn't what I had hoped for, my Daddy gave me some great advice...." Son , don't ever get rid of a gun you like for one you think might be better. Save your money and buy the other, then if it's better...you got two good guns. "
That old man was a lot smarter than my 17 year old self realized at that time.
Gary

Blackwater
01-20-2016, 02:35 PM
I've had 2 or 3 Colt Police Positives - the older, earlier versions with the long grip. Great little guns, compact, light, stylish and they just appeal to me. But not one of them has been accurate enough for the things I want and need to do. I still love the looks and the feel is different but with good grips, very shootable. They've just never performed quite up to par for me. I still have my lips pooched out over those neat old guns.

Windwalker 45acp
01-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Mine was a Walther PPKS. Never could get it to shoot worth a dang and, probably, gave up on it too soon.

sparky45
01-20-2016, 02:43 PM
Kahr CW 380; I nor two other shooters could get it to shoot to POI @ 5 yards. We were shooting at a 10" paper plate. BTW, the ammo was factory Winchester FMJ. It didn't last long at my house.

Harter66
01-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Seeing new posts got me thing again .

I had a Remington 1100 ,beautiful wood, high polish metal. The rib all but disappeared when it came up . It was maybe a touch short for the early season and it was a joy the way it soaked up the 3" mags ...... me and that gun just never talked to each other. Sure she was a beautiful piece but when a chance to trade it for a parked (read ruined) 1934 M12 for dove and grouse came along I couldn't get the cabinet open fast enough .
Funny I grabbed the wrong bbl and took the BPS out instead of the 1100 the 4th weekend doubled red heads , killed snows with their feet out and a Canvast back that had the boilers running full tilt ........ when I got home the 1100 got the full spa strip and preserve treatment and sat in the cabinet for most of 2 maybe 3 yr.

scarry scarney
01-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Mine was an FN 5.7. Never could get used to the squeak sound the slide would make, along with the safety, mag release, etc. Plus being in California, such a large pistol magazine, and being limited to 10 rounds. I also reload, and this round is a pain in the @## to reload. I did find a guy in Las Vegas that made a Dillon 550 conversion kit for the 5.7. Just try to find the brass when this little pistol would toss it into the next county.... Buddy wanted it, gooooooood bye.

Hogtamer
01-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Oh, about '78 just had to have a weatherby .06. Never would shoot as good as my old BAR .308. Bet I loaded 20 different combos of bullets and powder and the danged thing just stunk. Traded it for a BLR .308 that would shoot tighter groups with open sights.

Skunk1
01-20-2016, 06:57 PM
AR. Looked like fun but not for me.

2AMMD
01-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Never regretted buying any gun I have had. All of them were fun and interesting to shoot. Some were really cheap mediocre guns...some were decent guns...some were nice. BUT... I DID REGRET SELLING EVERY ONE I EVER SOLD. I have only gotten ONE of them back...at least it was one of the good ones. RULE OF THUMB.....DONT SELL IT UNLESS YOU NEED THE MONEY TO KEEP YOUR FAMILY WARM OR NEED FOOD FOR THEM.....OR you can get something else you want in trade.

ZmanWakeForest
01-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Remington 7400 in 270 Win. On many occasions it would not extract and damage the rim very badly....different ammo manufactures, lots of reloads, two trips to the local gunsmiths.....Sent it down the river.....

Markbo
01-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Mine was an early S&W X frame .500 S&W. The only handgun I have ever fired that bruised my hand. The meaty part under the thumb was black.and blue for 2 weeks. I got a .460 X frame that is much tamer on the recoil though the muzzle blast attracts attention up and down the line. :)

Handloader109
01-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Bought an AK, decent gun, but just not a good gun imo.. Traded it for a never used 650xl,two caliber conversions, a case feeder, about 2 5 pounds of 9mm used brass, 1k sp primers, and 1k 9mm bullets..... I think I got the best of that deal.

PULSARNC
01-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Ruger mini 14 thought I had to have one till I got it. Only thing it is good for is plinking otherwise it is useless

RKJ
01-22-2016, 08:15 PM
I got a Llama compact 1911 that I really wanted to like but I couldn't get it to shoot a magazine w/o a FTF or FTE. Took it in three times for repair but the third time it stayed there and I traded for a G27 that was ok but never could warm up to it. I gave it to my son on his 21st birthday and he traded it for a Beretta PX4. I've had others that I've traded away and regretted so now I don't do it.

Outer Rondacker
01-22-2016, 08:56 PM
The Judge.

horsesoldier
01-23-2016, 02:05 AM
Remington 700 laminated stock. It had a chamber problem. For some reason it was a real pain to chamber rounds

swmass
01-23-2016, 02:43 AM
S&W bodyguard with the laser in the frame. The screw that held the laser in likes to walk out and lock the slide up once it sticks up too far, no good. I thought I wanted a 380 but found a slightly larger gun in 9mm to be better for me. One less caliber to load for anyway.

I've sold/traded a lot of guns... Not because I didn't think they were good guns, I just lost interest in some or found something I might like a little more. I like buying and selling, it gives me hands on experience and helps me figure out first hand what works for me and what doesnt. I don't play into the "never sell a gun" thing. I like all guns in general, so I will always have a soft spot for ones I've owned that never did me wrong but I dont lose sleep over it. I also never sell a gun for quick cash, it always goes to another firearm or something firearm related.