PDA

View Full Version : The "regulation" nation

shooter2
11-27-2014, 01:41 PM
I went to the smoking room (otherwise known as the shop) to have a pipe. I filled it with some 1Q and lit it with my Japanese Corona lighter, and had the following thoughts.

Whatever happened to strike anywhere matches? I had three left in the shop. The striker on the box was worn out so that did not work. I tried the concrete floor, all that did was wear off the igniter tip.

I can remember when you could light them with a thumbnail. My granddad would light them on the seat of his pants. He was also a dedicated pipe smoker so I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. I used to carry them in a match safe so if I ever got lost (which I did twice) I would have fire. I dipped them in wax for extra protection. I still have them and they still work.

Yeah, you can still buy the matches, but they are a waste of money as the G'ment, in all it's wisdom, has made them worthless through excessive over regulation of safety standards. Now I ask you, what is more worthless than a match that will not light?

As kids we would cop a few from the box over the stove and throw them on the sidewalk to light them. Why did we do that? I have no idea, but we could so we did.

So, I now have a $100 lighter to do what I used to be able to do with a simple match.

This **** is starting to P*** me off...

WallyM3
11-27-2014, 01:50 PM
I've been disgusted with this whole trend for a couple of decades now. It's conditioning and creating morons. Just look at the results of the last two National elections.

starmac
11-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Maybe it is so you can't strike it with your thumbnail. Several times over the years, the head broke off and got caught between my thumb and nail.
Have you ever tried to put out a burning match head. lol That is why we would strike them on the seat of our pants. lol

GOPHER SLAYER
11-27-2014, 02:46 PM
I saw on the TV two days ago that more than two thousand new government regulations are do to kick in and will add to the average family cost of living about $1500 in expenses. The idiot lady in charge of the EPA said they were doing what was best for the environment and the health of the people. The various government agencies are doing all they can to put cattle ranching out of business. They want to turn us all into pale veggins. I don't know if that's the right word but you get my meaning. Their battle cry is, "DOWN WITH MICKYDEES" and Michelle says, "LET THEM EAT CARROTS". Geez, even Marie Antoinette thought the masses should be allowed cake.

waksupi
11-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Maybe it is so you can't strike it with your thumbnail. Several times over the years, the head broke off and got caught between my thumb and nail.
Have you ever tried to put out a burning match head. lol That is why we would strike them on the seat of our pants. lol

That particular problem was why I would still suck my thumb at a mature age.

dakotashooter2
11-27-2014, 04:40 PM
I saw on the TV two days ago that more than two thousand new government regulations are do to kick in and will add to the average family cost of living about $1500 in expenses. The idiot lady in charge of the EPA said they were doing what was best for the environment and the health of the people. The various government agencies are doing all they can to put cattle ranching out of business. They want to turn us all into pale veggins. I don't know if that's the right word but you get my meaning. Their battle cry is, "DOWN WITH MICKYDEES" and Michelle says, "LET THEM EAT CARROTS". Geez, even Marie Antoinette thought the masses should be allowed cake.

What they don't realize is that cattle can and often are raised on land that is not suitable for growing crops. If you stop using cattle to supplement the food source then you will need more land to grow food. Since land is finite in quantity you'll either have to try to irrigate deserts or cut down forests... both which will have their own environmental impact.........pick your poison..............

Forgetful
11-27-2014, 04:43 PM
I used to shoot these from my break-action .177 air rifle. They fit pretty well, flew straight, and exploded on impact. Fun childhood memories, and nobody was ever hurt and nothing got burned.

winchester85
11-27-2014, 05:37 PM
the country is going to hell at an ever increasing pace. the next generation will not even know of strike anywhere matches.

any more, everything is illegal, in colorado it is illegal to collect rainwater! my county passed a regulation a few years back making it illegal to shoot on your OWN property if more than 100 people live within one mile! the building department here tells you how much deck you can have, how many windows you can have, how big your house can be, how wide your driveway must be, and on and on. a "recreational" fire cannot be more than 5 feet across, you need a permit for any fire not considered a recreational fire, you must call them before you light the fire, and it must be out by 5pm. if i forget to register any vehicle or trailer, they fine me $25 per month up to $100, plus the registration cost when i do renew it. every piece of equipment must be registered, even if it never leaves my property! instead of snow accumulation closing the county road, now there is a gate, so even if the road is passable, it is closed.
it is illegal here to cut and sell firewood off of my own property, it is considered a "commercial operation".

the list could go on forever. there is a rule for everything now.

jsizemore
11-27-2014, 07:43 PM
I went to the smoking room (otherwise known as the shop) to have a pipe. I filled it with some 1Q and lit it with my Japanese Corona lighter, and had the following thoughts.

Whatever happened to strike anywhere matches? I had three left in the shop. The striker on the box was worn out so that did not work. I tried the concrete floor, all that did was wear off the igniter tip.

I can remember when you could light them with a thumbnail. My granddad would light them on the seat of his pants. He was also a dedicated pipe smoker so I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. I used to carry them in a match safe so if I ever got lost (which I did twice) I would have fire. I dipped them in wax for extra protection. I still have them and they still work.

Yeah, you can still buy the matches, but they are a waste of money as the G'ment, in all it's wisdom, has made them worthless through excessive over regulation of safety standards. Now I ask you, what is more worthless than a match that will not light?

As kids we would cop a few from the box over the stove and throw them on the sidewalk to light them. Why did we do that? I have no idea, but we could so we did.

So, I now have a $100 lighter to do what I used to be able to do with a simple match.

This **** is starting to P*** me off...

Make a short trip to Colorado, get some medicine, load up the pipe and that match thing won't seem so important. You might even forget what was bothering you. Want a cookie?

BrassMagnet
11-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Make a short trip to Colorado, get some medicine, load up the pipe and that match thing won't seem so important. You might even forget what was bothering you. Want a cookie?

They come for that and they are staying to vote!

MaryB
11-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Boils down to almost all of these "regulations" do nothing to insure safety and just cost us all a lot of money. And the bulk of these regulations have no force because they are not approved by congress but the people do not know that!

nemesisenforcer
11-28-2014, 12:38 AM

yes and amen.:p:mrgreen:

runfiverun
11-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Do a search here on those matches and you'll see exactly when they went to the green ones.
they sold out the good ones so fast around here there wAsn't any matches available
for almost 2 weeks.

TXGunNut
11-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Make the country safe for idiots and treehuggers and pretty soon they are running things.

Forgetful
11-28-2014, 10:47 AM

They're staying because they can't get off the couch!

rockrat
11-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Don't forget they are staying to collect unemployment benefits, welfare benefits, disability benifits and mooching on the corners of the streets while they are here.

I guess my last box of strike anywhere matches are a collectable. Maybe I should put them up on ebay and some rich liberal will buy them for $$$$

Matches shot out of a BB gun. Remember it well!!:bigsmyl2:

NoAngel
11-28-2014, 12:03 PM
There was a time, many moons ago where morons were allowed, encouraged (and often helped) to die. Since the dawn of time, stupidity has been painful and the wages of idiocy has been a quick demise.

Ahh, the good ole days.

blackthorn
11-28-2014, 12:06 PM
The Eddy Match Company Ltd. in Pembroke Ontario still produces strike anywhere matches. They sell in Wally World for around $2 a box. They are not the same quality as we were able to get 20+ years ago but they are strike anywhere nevertheless. 20+ years ago it looked like the Eddy Co. would be closing so I went out and bought about 30 boxes and stored them in an ammo can. We could not get them for a considerable time but eventually they reappeared so I still have a few of the good ones left. I do not like the matches you need the special strip to light. Too many things can cause that strip to quit functioning!

dragon813gt
11-28-2014, 12:35 PM
There is a glut of Darwin Awards that need to be awarded to the people that deserve them post haste. Idiocracy is looking like a prophetic movie w/ every passing day.

shooter2
11-28-2014, 01:09 PM
That particular problem was why I would still suck my thumb at a mature age.

I hope it was after the match head burned off.

shooter2
11-28-2014, 01:14 PM
FOX News says that the average cost per household of G'Ment regulations is around $15,000 per year. That puts it on the north side of over $4,000 for every person. Sad!

jsizemore
11-28-2014, 02:52 PM

Good cookie is hard to find.

jsizemore
11-28-2014, 02:55 PM
And the bulk of these regulations have no force because they are not approved by congress but the people do not know that!

I count on that every day.