PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Converting Ruger No.3 to .327 Fed Mag for Target Shooting

Dixiejack
11-27-2014, 01:31 PM
What I have is a shooter and not a new in box collector grade. What I want is to build a rifle for Shuetzen matches in .327 Federal Magnum. I am looking at using around a 150 gr. to 165 gr. Money design boolit. I have my BP rollies in .40-65 and .45-90 and I cast the Money boolits for both and the rollies shoot better than I can aim. I just want a lighter recoiling off hand rifle for 200 yd. shooting. Any suggestions/information for my plans will be greatly appreciated.

My plans:
1. 28" or 30" round or octagon/round heavy barrel that will clear the forend hanger. I haven't received the rifle so don't know barrel dia. clearence.

2. I have started looking online for No.1 stock and A. Henry forend, prefer off No.1 Medium Sporter if the medium forend will fit. Don't know if light sporter and medium sporter are same size. I don't think Ruger will sell stock sets w/o them fitting.

3. Plan on using my Lyman STS in 10X and maybe a repro. ladder rear sight and a Lee Shaver front sight with bubble level.

4. Had a Canjar SS trigger in a No.3 about 30 years ago and I really like it, but I am open to all suggestions.

5. Now back to boolit size, design, mold, preferred powder, and best barrel twist for the type of target shooting I am planning.

I apologize for such a long post, but I have always got excellent feedback from you guys. Thanks.

Nobade
11-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Are you planning on shooting benchrest, offhand, or both? That will determine your stock. You might talk to George Peterson at Treebone Carving, he has some good patterns for Ruger stocks. If offhand you're going to want to think about a palm rest as well.

You'll want to contemplate barrel twist and reamer dimensions. Decide if you're going to shoot fixed or breech seated ammo and have the reamer ground accordingly. Dave Manson is your guy for this.

Think about how stiff that 327 Fed brass is, and if it is going to seal properly at the pressures you are likely to be running. Will you be using black powder or smokeless? A good program of annealing is going to be important.

Never been a fan of set triggers for offhand work, too much lock time. A lightweight hammer and adjustable trigger will be a big help, and if the rules don't require a safety you can delete it and work toward a slightly better trigger. No matter what that's going to be a tough one with a Ruger action.

Of course bullet design is going to be dictated by your choice in chamber design. The mould makers can steer you in the right direction here.

Sounds like a fun project, it ought to make a neat rifle once it's up and running!

-Nobade

argie1891
11-28-2014, 04:17 AM
I own a couple of 327 revolvers and really like them. also converted a shotgun to 32 h&r magnum and shoot 150 grain bullets in it. and have a stevens 44 and a cpa copy of the 441/2 in 3240. that said I would consider going with the cpa version of the 32-20. the case isn't a thick but it is a tru 32 caliber like the 32-40 32 Winchester instead of 308 311. it has won quite a few matches and is a truly field tested you can find out more at the assra forum or at the cpa web page as the builds the 441/2 copy like I have and invented and tested the 32-20. here is some data on schutzen cartridges and loading data http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1144106560