PDA

View Full Version : ladle won't pour

corey012778
02-13-2008, 01:38 AM
the last three times I went to cast boolits, my lead seems to harden in the ladle not letting me pour a full boolit. I am using a lee ladle, but I got 4 off the first try (bad wind hit so I had to stop). It has cooled off alot since then, could that be doing it?

bad alloy?

or

just beginner luck?

imashooter2
02-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Pretty basic stuff here, lead solidifies when it cools. Start the pour with hotter lead and pick up your pace so the ladle is out of the pot for a shorter time.

corey012778
02-13-2008, 01:56 AM
once I get some warmer temps I try again.

yarro
02-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I use a heavy caster iron laddle now and it holds the heat better than the Lee one through mass and the fact that it holds more lead. I return it to the pot when it is about have full to keep the temp up. Being in the wind when it is cold will definately cool off the ladle faster.

-Yarro

44man
02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Corey, why are you casting outside?

cbr
02-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Leave the ladle in the lead pot while your emptying your mold to keep it hot, if your not already doing that. Maybe increase your casting temp also.

American
02-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Corey, why are you casting outside?

One question regarding your question... I'd cast inside except the fluxing operation, using candle wax, causes smoke and flames I wouldn't want inside. Does some of the "smoke-free" flux lend itself to casting inside? What are other factors?

corey012778
02-13-2008, 11:24 AM
One question regarding your question... I'd cast inside except the fluxing operation, using candle wax, causes smoke and flames I wouldn't want inside. Does some of the "smoke-free" flux lend itself to casting inside? What are other factors?

Space is the main reason, lack there of. I don't have much space to do much work in.
I am hoping to see if the ppl I rent from would let me use the basement and I would put some type in venting system in it.

montana_charlie
02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
If you have to work outside...and it's actually warm enough to work outside...a cheap tent erected in the yard will make a big difference.
CM

dakotashooter2
02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Are you preheating your ladel in the hot lead. I cast in my garage in the winter at temps as low as probably 10 degrees and never had such problems. I actually prefer to cast in the winter as it seems to be easier to keep the molds from getting too hot.

jack19512
02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Leave the ladle in the lead pot while your emptying your mold to keep it hot, if your not already doing that.

+1

I also use a lee dipper and always leave the dipper in the pot when not using it. I've never had a problem.