PDA

View Full Version : TC Pre-Luber, making some out of aluminum.

JTknives
11-27-2014, 04:20 AM
I am getting into the muzzleloader game and wanted to get a TC pre-luber and come to find out thy have been discontinued for a while. That got me thinking, why don't I just make them out of aluminum. I don't have a design drawn up yet but I'm wondering if anyone else here would be interested in one or more of these if I decided to make some. Would work just like the TC kind. It would screw onto a tube of borebutter and you put your bullet down a hole and squeeze the tube and poof a lubed bullet. Don't know what thy would cost as that would depend on the the number of them I made. Let me know what you think.

StolzerandSons
11-27-2014, 09:27 AM
JT,

I don't want to discourage you at all but I don't think you will get a lot of interest in these. You can buy NIB TC Pre-lubers on evil-bay for less than $10 or if that's more than a guy wants to spend they are super simple to make for about $5 of hardware store parts and a half hour of your time.
Here's the link to the thread for the hardware store version: http://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?topic=9206.0

Colin

LUCKYDAWG13
11-27-2014, 09:36 AM
now that's a good idea thanks i wasn't looking for one but now i need one

Beagle333
11-27-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't even shoot maxi balls, but now I need one.... and some maxi balls! :veryconfu

Fishman
11-27-2014, 10:48 AM
I would be interested depending on final price. Paricularly if you could make them with inexpensive inserts that allowed one to use one tool for multiple calibers.

Good to hear from you and I hope things are going well for you.

dondiego
11-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I'll try one.

bubba.50
11-27-2014, 03:23 PM
as stated above, my interest would depend a lot on the price.

Rick Hodges
11-29-2014, 12:01 PM
I still have the TC speed loaders in .54 and .50....never used the maxi's but did use them on the Lee R.E.A.L. bullets. I must not have heated the lube enough, didn't work very well at all. I just lubed them with my fingers.

triggerhappy243
11-29-2014, 11:59 PM
i have one of each of the plastic pre-lubers marketed by the "GOOD OLD T/C folks. they were made sort-of trans translucent. you could see the bullets pass thru.

now ,In my experience, the maxi-balls shoot best if "ONLY THE BOTTOM" lube groove is lubed. And yes the lube needs to be warmed up for it to "FLOW". The plastic seemed to be a bit flexible too.

My pre-lubers seem to be de-composing too, not happy about that. I wonder if they are covered under the warranty?:veryconfu

PbHurler
12-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Tagged for interest.

I've been wanting one of these, or to build one for awhile. I'd like to also see an adapter to receive the lube from those "mini" grease guns. (I'd like to use homemade lube)

Janoosh
12-03-2014, 10:49 AM
PbHurler.....great idea. An aluminum luber with a zerk fitting, to use a mini grease gun filled with my lube at the range..Woo Hoo...

country gent
12-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Most grease guns are 1/8" npt Instead of a thread for the tube use this thread and it will screw on the grease gun. Would have to be a soft lube as the grease guns use a small dia piston to produce pressure. Most are a 1/4" hole or so to the piston and a 1/4" piston so getting the lube to flow into the piston may be the trick.

Omnivore
12-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Apply the same input force to a small piston and a large piston, and the smaller one will produce more p.s.i. at the output.

Anyway; getting the lube to flow is a triple matter of lube character, pressure and temperature, e.g. pure bee's wax will flow easily at a high enough temp, and pure olive oil will cease to flow at a low enough temp.

triggerhappy243
12-04-2014, 05:10 PM
the T/C bore butter does need to be at around 70 degrees in order to flow. the grease gun sounds like a great idea.

IIJSavoy
12-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Interested here...

44man
12-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Hate bore butter in the cold. Have to drive over the tube with a truck to get any out.
I use Young Country lube and it can be used below zero.

bigted
12-07-2014, 11:39 PM
I acquired a small hand held grease gun for greasing chainsaw bar roller tips and filled it with Crisco for revolver shooting. I would squirt some into the cylinder mouth to seal and lube the ball as it was being shot. I be that the same size grease gun would work for your maxi/minni boolits for greasing.

451whitworth
12-11-2014, 08:55 PM
The old T/C pre lubers (i have 45, 50, 54) don't fit the new tubes of lube. Major thread diameter difference. Anyone know what the old pre lubers screw on to that would work to dispense lube?

triggerhappy243
12-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Here is a thought, if you still have an old style tube, i would heat up the new tube to the point of it becoming liquid and pour thru a funnel into the old tube.