PDA

View Full Version : Ideal (lyman) 160gn wadcutter questions

c1skout
11-27-2014, 01:56 AM
I just bought one of these and cast a few hundred to try. Boolits turned out nice from my range scrap mixture, but they are a little futzy dropping from the mold. I tumble lubed some and pan-lubed the rest with "simple lube" in the first grease groove. When I weighed them they came out at 166gn, and they measured .362 before sizing. I loaded some of each up in 38special brass powered with Bullseye powder, starting at 2.7gn and went up from there, now I need to find time to try them out.

Anybody have any experience with this boolit? Ever load it for 357?

rintinglen
11-27-2014, 02:15 AM
Why yes, and yes. The 358-432-160 was the second mold I ever bought, in fact I just brought it out last week to revisit it. I have about two hundred waiting to get into brass right now.
In the mid to late 70's I shot several hundred pounds of them, mostly in 38 special brass crimped in the crimp groove and loaded over 4.0 grains of Red Dot. That load is clearly plus P, but was recommended in an old Manual and I used it extensively in my S&W M-27 357 magnum. I also shot it in 357 brass over 13.5 grains of 2400. I liked it because the greater length put the bullet into the chamber throat and seemed to give me better groups than the button nose wadcutter boolits, which were shorter OA. It used more powder and kicked more, so I joined the herd eventually and bought a 3 cavity Cramer copy of the 358-495 for PPC practice.

dubber123
11-27-2014, 09:18 AM
If they are a little sticky on the release, I'd give it a quick spin with some fine grit compound to lap it. It will greatly aid in castability. If you decide to part with it, be sure to note in your ad that it drops .362", as that makes it more desirable for .38 S&W shooters whos guns need the extra diameter.

I've shot many WC designs, including this one, and they all perform very close to each other. Super accurate at 25 yds., with other non WC designs showing an advantage at the 50 yd. line and beyond.

Have fun.

Beagle333
11-27-2014, 09:35 AM
The 358432 is my mostest favoritest boolit ever! I have 5 of them and I have two that are HP'd.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture066_zps2d89564c.jpg

(also good against Zombies)

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PowderCoating/Aug3013_zps5e127777.jpg

GP100man
11-27-2014, 09:53 AM
I`ve pushed wadcutters 1k+in 357, good accuracy & can`t beat the size of the meplat unless ya go bigger caliber.
We shoot a mud bank here & the wad cutters make the biggest holes in the mud!!!

Beagle333s HP looks interesting also !!!!

tazman
11-27-2014, 10:31 AM
If you are seating it to the crimp ring only, you will have no more boolit inside the case than a standard semi wadcutter. You can therefore load charges as if it were an otherwise standard profile at the same weight. No real need to use reduced loads unless you feel like it.
I have loaded this boolit to 925fps using a couple of different powders and it shoots well.

I agree that Beagle's hollow point would be a nice addition to the herd.

c1skout
11-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for the replies, I might go stuff some 357 brass with these while I'm waiting for the turkey!

bedbugbilly
11-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I have that mold and mine drop at about .358 or so - it's been a while since I've loaded any so I'd have to check but I know I load my "as cast". I seat and roll crimp to the top groove in my 38 spl loads and load mine over 3.0 gr. of Bulls Eye. I've tried them starting at 2.7 gr but the 3.0 seems to shoot the best out of my Smith 5" M & P revolver. I tumble lube in Alox/Paste Wax.

I've never tried any in 357 as I primarily shoot 38 spl most of the time. I picked up a 357 Handi-Rifle a few months ago and plan on trying this boolit in 357 casings though out of that rifle when the weather gets warmer and I can play with loads in it.

I have several other Lyman WC molds that I've tried - all Lyman/Ideal but can't remember the mold numbers - they are all 148 gr molds though and I much prefer the one you are tailing about.