PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a turret press. What do you recommend?

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone, I am thinking about picking up a turret press.
I am looking at RCBS and Lyman. Which do you recommend?

I will be loading .308 and 9mm on it. Maybe .223 in the future but no other pistol cartridges.

Thanks!

Ben
11-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Hands down ! ! Best turret press for the money is the Lee Classic Turret press. Loads everything from 25 ACP to 375 H& H Mag.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/Capture_zps742deebb.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/Capture_zps742deebb.jpg.html)

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 08:34 PM
I looked at Lee but decided against it because it only has 4 holes.
I am wanting to mount my 9mm and .308 dies along with a powder measure on the press. A 6 hole setup will allow me to do that.
I only reload 9mm and .308 so this will save me time once I get it set up.

tazman
11-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Just buy an extra turret. They are cheap and changing them only takes seconds. I can swap calibers by changing turrets in less than a minute.
Since the turret is self indexing you can load considerably more ammo than using it single stage. I can load between 150 and 200 cartridges per hour without hurrying.
I have loaded several thousand 9mm on my Lee classic cast turret with complete satisfaction. It is a great press.

jmort
11-26-2014, 09:05 PM
You are missing the point, you have turrets that you can swap out in seconds. If there is any wise voice here, it's Ben's. The Lee Precision Classic a Turret is the best buy. Get what you want, obviously.

Markbo
11-26-2014, 09:11 PM
I am extremely pleased with my Lyman turret press. 5 holes gives me tbe ability to have 2 calibers on almost every head. Unlike the Lee there is no aluminum parts on it. It is very sturdy and repeatable. The Lyman 55 powder measure works really well with all types of powder too.

I have several single stage and a Dillon progressive and have been using the Lyman about 9 or 10 years. Knowing what I know now after 10 years, Id get the Lyman again.

Cmm_3940
11-26-2014, 09:14 PM
My Redding T7 works very well for me.

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
I am extremely pleased with my Lyman turret press. 5 holes gives me tbe ability to have 2 calibers on almost every head. Unlike the Lee there is no aluminum parts on it. It is very sturdy and repeatable. The Lyman 55 powder measure works really well with all types of powder too.

I have several single stage and a Dillon progressive and have been using the Lyman about 9 or 10 years. Knowing what I know now after 10 years, Id get the Lyman again.
The Lyman I was looking at has 6 holes. They must have improved it since you got yours.

I do have a Dillon SDB. I reload my 9mm on it. I have been using a Lee hand press for the .308 and want something bench mounted.

I have actually considered selling the SDB and just using a Turret press.

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 09:26 PM
My Redding T7 works very well for me.
I like the looks of the Redding T7. Price is a bit high though. It does look like a solid machine though.

Ben
11-26-2014, 09:30 PM
sarge1967

The turrets are $10 - $13 dollars each ( depends on who you buy them from).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if $10 will allow you to install dies for one caliber , why is it important to be able to have a turret head that has 6 holes so you can use dies for two calibers in the same turret head ? ? ( By the way, you'll most likely end up paying more than 2 X for the Lyman and 3 X for the Redding Turret Press vs. the Lee Classic Turret )

Your money , you spend it as you will.

Ben

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 09:34 PM
sarge1967

The turrets are $10 - $13 dollars each ( depends on who you buy them from).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if $10 will allow you to install dies for one caliber , why is it important to be able to have a turret head that has 6 holes so you can use dies for two calibers in the same turret head ? ? ( By the way, you'll most likely end up paying more than 2 X for this one vs. the Lee Classic Turret )

Your money , you spend it as you will.

Ben
I will check out some videos of that press. I had not realized it was that easy to switch out the heads and that cheap.
Thanks!

pkie44
11-26-2014, 09:42 PM
RCBS turret is hard to beat, priming system even works well! :bigsmyl2:

jmort
11-26-2014, 09:42 PM
The Redding is around $300 4.9 out of 5 stars on Midway USA
The Lyman is around $200 4.4 stars
The RCBS is around $200. 4.4 stars
The Lee Classic Turret is around $110 4.7 stars
Check out Titan at top of page. They are a sponsor and good people.

Ben
11-26-2014, 09:47 PM
I will check out some videos of that press. I had not realized it was that easy to switch out the heads and that cheap.
Thanks!

Using my Lee Classic Turret Press, I can swap from 30-06 to 38 Special in less than 5 seconds.

Ben

RogerDat
11-26-2014, 09:48 PM
I looked at Lee but decided against it because it only has 4 holes.
I am wanting to mount my 9mm and .308 dies along with a powder measure on the press. A 6 hole setup will allow me to do that.
I only reload 9mm and .308 so this will save me time once I get it set up.

Lee has a 5 hole turret disk available from Titan Reloading (link at top of page, site sponsor) for $12.98 so that gives you 5 stations. I think if you could clarify why the 6 holes are required and what you are going to be mounting on the 6 holes it might help people provide better answers.

Lee sells a powder measure (perfect powder measure - get the pro model it's worth it) that will mount on the press and for pistol one can get Lee dies that allow the powder to feed through the expander die. Standard in most Lee pistol die sets other than the extreme budget sets, but can be purchased individually, the one for 9mm is $12. They make a die for rifle powder feed on their turret press also about $12. With a 4 hole turret one can do the whole operation in most cases, the 5 hole should handle some other situations but I don't understand what one does with 6 holes.

I don't have any broad range of reloading experience, and I'm not one of those folks that have a reloading bench with more machines lined up than a laundry mat. So my question is both to help get you better answers and increase my own knowledge.

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 09:48 PM
RCBS turret is hard to beat, priming system even works well! :bigsmyl2:
The priming system looks the best of all I have looked at.

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Lee has a 5 hole turret disk available from Titan Reloading (link at top of page, site sponsor) for $12.98 so that gives you 5 stations. I think if you could clarify why the 6 holes are required and what you are going to be mounting on the 6 holes it might help people provide better answers.

Lee sells a powder measure (perfect powder measure - get the pro model it's worth it) that will mount on the press and for pistol one can get Lee dies that allow the powder to feed through the expander die. Standard in most Lee pistol die sets other than the extreme budget sets, but can be purchased individually, the one for 9mm is $12. They make a die for rifle powder feed on their turret press also about $12. With a 4 hole turret one can do the whole operation in most cases, the 5 hole should handle some other situations but I don't understand what one does with 6 holes.

I don't have any broad range of reloading experience, and I'm not one of those folks that have a reloading bench with more machines lined up than a laundry mat. So my question is both to help get you better answers and increase my own knowledge.
My thinking is this.
3 holes for 9mm dies, one for powder measure and 2 for .308.
Both calibers I reload. Just need to switch shell holders and set powder charge and I am off and loading. Oh I will need to change primer cup as well.

Bzcraig
11-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I use the Lee exclusively and it's true, caliber change is about 30 seconds on the outside and 1 minute if you have to leave the room for some reason. Check out Titan Reloading, banner sponsor at top of page, can't beat their prices or service. I load 32acp, 9mm, 38, 357 (same dies but I got two sets and turrets so I don't have to readjust) 223, and 308 on my press and they are all on there own turrets.

Cmm_3940
11-26-2014, 10:02 PM
The Redding does have an available priming system which has worked well for me. It was an extra $99 when I got it several years ago. I don't think Redding makes anything I'd call inexpensive, but everything I've bought from them has been rock solid and them some. The T7 press is a big-*** heavy hunk of cast metal with no give in it. The workmanship is smooth and tight, and it isn't gonna blink at any abuse I could ever throw at it.

jmort
11-26-2014, 10:06 PM
The five hole turrets are for the Load Master, not the Classic a Turret, which uses a four hole turret.

RogerDat
11-26-2014, 10:18 PM
The five hole turrets are for the Load Master, not the Classic a Turret, which uses a four hole turret.
Thanks for the clarification. Knew I had seen them, never had any reason to think I wanted one. Now I know why. Do you know if the 3 hole fits the Classic Turret? Or is that just for the other turret press?

JRLesan
11-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Try a Harrell's: integral clamp and can be moved to the range quite readily. Beats a cheapo Lee hands down...

44Vaquero
11-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Here is a great read concerning Turret presses: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11843/guntechdetail/handloading___the_wandering_narrative_part_ii

sarge1967
11-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Here is a great read concerning Turret presses: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11843/guntechdetail/handloading___the_wandering_narrative_part_ii

Thanks!

1911KY
11-26-2014, 11:33 PM
I load on a Lee Classic Turret and for the money, it can't be beat. I currently have 4 different turret plates setup for 45 acp, 9 mm, 44 mag and one plate with a universal decapper and a .452 bullet sizer die. I can switch between any of these in less than a minute as I have a pro powder measure setup on all 3. You would have to be really abusing this press to break it, but I must say that Lyman and especially the Redding press are built heavier.

The Lee turret also gives you the capability to auto index if you so choose. I like the Lee Classic Turret but if money wasn't a factor I would have bought the Redding and used the Hornady bushing system for anything I wanted to swap in and out.

dikman
11-27-2014, 06:27 AM
Being new to reloading cartridges, and having to get one from the US, I went with the slightly cheaper Lee 4-hole (cheaper shipping costs due to the weight saving). I also figured I might as well get a spare turret at the same time ('cos they're cheap) even though I didn't need it. Turns out I will need, having just bought a pair of .357 single-action revolvers! I have found the press to be excellent - easy to use, only seconds to remove the turret and disable the auto-index if needed. Mine came with the "new" handle with the rubber grip, which is nice, but I made a new handle with a knob on the end as it suits my style of use better at the moment.

I bought mine from Titan, excellent people to deal with, very good prices, prompt shipping and everything that I wanted in stock (which is more than can be said for the shops in Oz). Next order with them I'll get another spare turret too.

ukrifleman
11-27-2014, 02:57 PM
The Lee Classic turret press is a great piece of kit.

I load 15 calibres with mine from .357 to 30-06. As previously stated, it takes seconds to swap to another calibre.

I also use the Lee safety Primer Feed attached to the press. Don't let the fact it is made of plastic put you off, I have found it a very efficient priming system.

I load 3 pistol calibres (.357, 44-40, .45 Colt) with the indexing rod in place and can load around 200 rounds per hour with the Lee auto disk powder measure mounted on the turret.

I remove the indexing rod when loading rifle calibres.

All in all, the Lee Classic turret press is well thought out, rugged and at a great price!

ukrifleman.

lkydvl
11-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Redding T-7..... nothing finer

Char-Gar
11-27-2014, 03:26 PM
The Redding works for me!

jmort
11-27-2014, 03:45 PM
The T7 is nice for sure, but at that price point you can get a BL 550. Straight up, I would take the 550 if I had a $300 budget. For me, at 1/3 the price, I am getting the Classic Turret.

engineer401
11-27-2014, 04:04 PM
The T7 is nice for sure, but at that price point you can get a BL 550. Straight up, I would take the 550 if I had a $300 budget. For me, at 1/3 the price, I am getting the Classic Turret.

The BL 550 is a good idea. I never thought of using that instead of a turret. At $260 it is a little cheaper than the Redding turret. One can upgrade a little at a time as money permits.

jmort
11-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Yes, I was thinking, and it makes sense. There are two presses I would like to get someday, a BL 550, and a CH 444. We shall see.

sarge1967
11-27-2014, 08:20 PM

I tend to agree.

Cowpoke
11-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Lee Classic Cast Turret Press
For all the reasons mentioned above

Markbo
11-27-2014, 09:04 PM
I apologize for my typo. My Lyman is 6 hole...I just didnt catch my error. Sorry

Boogieman
11-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Lee Classic Turret with Pro autodisc powder measure. 150-200 rounds per hour, 1 min. cal. change, uses standard 7/8-14 dies . auto index can be disabled It works for me.

Dan Cash
11-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Of the presses discussed, the T7 is probably the best, especially when the priming system is considered. The Lyman and RCBS are about equal in strength, precision and convenience of priming. The Lee does not seem as strong/wear resistant or precise as the other three although I am sure it is adequate. Can't talk about its priming system as I don't know but none of these presses will give you a 5 second change of calibers when also changing primer sizes. What ever you do, keep the Square Deal B unless you are upgrading to a 550. That might be a solution for you there.

Twmaster
11-27-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm a huge fan of my Lee 4 hole classic cast turret press. The one thing I dislike about the thing is the priming system. Frankly I hate it.

But I'm not letting that slow me down at all. I hand prime all of my brass. I want that additional chance to inspect the cases while I'm priming. This also allows me to 'feel' how the primer is seating. I've tossed more than a few cases due to sloppy primer pockets.

If I were to have to go buy a new press I'd get the same press again. As others have pointed out caliber changes are a snap. I load for about 15 cartridges regularly so this is a huge plus. Combine the Classic Cast Turret with a (or a couple) Lee Auto Disk Pro powder dispensers and loading is a joy.

charlie b
11-27-2014, 10:47 PM
I'll also vote for the Lee. I used the very first model to come out over 30 years ago. Loaded thousands of rounds on it, only cause I could not afford to shoot more :)

FWIW, I bought the Lee because of the design. As an engineer the simplicity and strength appealed to me.

PS I hand primed all my loads and charged off the press

PPS changing the turret takes about as much time as changing the shell holder on the ram

wlc
11-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Lee Classic Turret with Pro autodisc powder measure. 150-200 rounds per hour, 1 min. cal. change, uses standard 7/8-14 dies . auto index can be disabled It works for me.

I have the Lee Classic Cast Turret as well. I honestly think it is the best press for the money made. I've loaded many many rounds on mine and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Change turrets in seconds and be up and running another caliber in just a few minutes. And I'll give yet another vote for Titan Reloading. Great prices and great service.

John Boy
11-27-2014, 11:17 PM
* Years back, bought from Lee on Special for 49.00 - two reconditioned Lee 3 hole turret presses
* Also bought the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and the Auto primer
* With the Lee Universal Decapping die, one can deprime any caliber with the one die. All my spent cases are decapped with the Universal because I deprime every case before they are cleaned in the rotary tumbler
All my rifle calibers dies go into the 3 Hole turret. And if you don't have multiple firearms with different chambers ... you will never need the full length size die after the brass has been fireformed.
So now on the 3 Holer, we're down to two because I prime with the Auto Primer and powder charge with the Perfect Measure - 50 rounds per tray
Two Holes for the expander die and the seating die - that's it. Might add, all my BPCR reloads are done with the 2 holes on the 3 Hole Turret press. I use the expander plug to do the compression of the powder

Unless for the 9mm, you shoot 200 to 300 rounds a month, the Lee 3 or 4 Hole Press will reload the same way I do.
For your 2 calibers, buy a couple of extra turret heads and the round Lee plastic die boxes. Store the die sets in each round box and your good to go for each caliber
Because I shoot a lot of 9mm, 380, 45 ACP and 45 Colt on a monthly basis - the Dillon 550B is the only way to go to reload expeditiously

r1kk1
11-27-2014, 11:44 PM
. I like the Lee Classic Turret but if money wasn't a factor I would have bought the Redding and used the Hornady bushing system for anything I wanted to swap in and out.

I use either the Ultramag or the Summit with the LNL bushing. The other press I use is a COAX. I would lean towards the T-7 so I could use my favorite lock rings. I really like Forster or Sinclair lock rings.

I use a 550 as a turret occasionaly.

Take care

r1kk1

gpidaho
11-28-2014, 02:33 AM
Love my Redding T-7, worth every penny of the cost. GP

gpidaho
11-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Sold my Dillon 550 kept the Redding T-7 and the Dillon press is a very good press GP

dromia
11-28-2014, 10:58 AM
I have both the Lee classic turret and the Redding T7.

The Lee hardly gets used the Redding is my go to turret.

The reason is the priming system, the Redding one is far superior. The Lee one is fiddly at best, I've read and applied all the fixes for the Lee and had 3 different sets of primer dispensers and I still can't get the small primer system to work reliably.

The press itself is very good but without a reliable priming system then for me it isn't usable, the one at a time priming system works OK, still needs a little fettling to start with but in using that I am loosing some of the benefits of a turret.

I suppose the fact that there are so many fixes for Lee product on the internet speaks volumes in its self about Lees lack of quality control, shame as Lee have some excellent potential products but they always seem to spoil the ship for the ha'pworth of tar.

The Redding is expensive but works as advertising without the need for fettling/replacement parts/user frustration/dissatisfaction etc.

Just finished loading 200 rounds of 218 Bee on the Redding, a thoroughly enjoyable trouble free time and quality ammunition, worth every penny in my book.

flyingmonkey35
11-28-2014, 11:09 AM
I use two Lee load Masters. I have one dedicated to my 9mm.

The other I use for my 45 acp colt 30/30etc.

My biggest issue with this press is short storking it when fully loaded.

Its a 5 hole press with quick change plates.

But if I had to do it over I would have picked up a classic.

For starting out on.

dragon813gt
11-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Another vote for the LCT. I use it for everything except case forming. The safety prime can be finicky at times. But once I figured out it requires a light touch in the correct spot it's been trouble free. It won't feed the last three primers because there is no weight to push them out. While not perfect it's still the best value. I personally don't understand a non self indexing turret w/ one shell holder. Everyone has their preferences but I can't see spending the money on any of the other brands.

Brett Ross
11-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I started with the Lee Classic Turret, loaded a few thousand rounds no major issues. I cannot speak for other brands but if like me you are on a budget , you cant go wrong with the LCT.

Nueces
11-28-2014, 02:11 PM
I prime with an RCBS bench tool (pistol on the Dillon 550B), so the vagaries of turret priming systems mean nada on my bench. My bench turret is the Redding T-7 and the Lee Classic Turret goes to the range for on-site loading. Additional turrets can be set in advance for loading several calibers. "It's a sound system" (Sean Connery in "Murder on the Orient Express").

Markbo
11-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Sold my Dillon 550 kept the Redding T-7 and the Dillon press is a very good press GP

Just curious. Why get rid of a progressive for a turret? Just curious.

gpidaho
11-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Markbo: That is curious isn't it. I guess my best explanation is that my interests moved away from shooting autoloading pistols to shooting a lot more rifle cals. and tinkering more with the loads. Where the Dillon press really shines is in pumping out 500-1000 rounds of pistol ammo in a hurry. If how ever your working on small lots of rifle ammo and testing different components it's great to have the seven station turret. As an example the heads that I have set up for 223 and 22-250 are set up like this. 1. FL sizer 2. body die 3. bushing neck die 4. standard seating die (for cast) 5. comp. seating die 6. taper crimp die 7. Case comparator- Instant indicator. With that and comp. shell holders you have a lot of options. Also I'm retired now and have more time to tinker. Now that was kind of long winded but the best reason I can come up with. GP

mizzouri1
11-28-2014, 10:48 PM
+1 on the Lee Classic Turret Press [smilie=s:

Artful
11-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Let's see I have two Dillons, a Co-ax, and I still use my Lee Turret to teach people reloading on.

So cast my vote for Lee's Turret Press.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret. Adjusted properly, it is far superior than any other "turret" press on the market. For these reasons: Ergonomics, Primer disposal, engineering designed for strength without extra weight, automatic advance, no tilt turret heads and price. Unlike any of the others, it will do 150 to 200 rounds an hour with very little effort on your part. Work hard and be efficient with your motions and you can get more production. If I could only have two presses and couldn't have a auto advance progressive, this press and it's brother, the Lee Classic Cast single stage would be the only two I own. Can't beat their price performance point any where.

BTW, if you can't get the Lee safety prime to work every time, you don't have it adjusted right yet.

Markbo
11-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks GP. I should have figured that out because that is exactly how I use mine! :)

NavyVet1959
11-29-2014, 09:23 PM
I use the Lee Classic Turret for small batches of ammo and my Dillon for larger quantities. For some loadings, I wish it had a few more positions though. For example, for loading .45-70, I would like:

decapping die
powder through expanding die for a grain or so of fast kicker powder
powder compression die
powder through expanding die for full case of very slow (e.g. WC860, WC870, WC872) rifle powders
powder compression die
bullet seating die
case crimp die

But, since I don't want to spend the money on the Redding T7, I make do with the 4-hole Lee Classic Turret since I don't shoot *that* many rounds of .45-70 anyway.

str8wal
11-30-2014, 11:40 AM
I use a Lee 4 holer as well as a Lee 3 holer. I have found no need for anything else.

nitro-express
11-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Lots of good advice, and there are several really nice turret presses out there.

Deciding on which press is best for you depends a lot on what you use it for. If you load only for pistol, a shorter stroke press may be a better fit. If long rifle cartridges are your main use, make sure the stroke is long and you have room for seating a bullet without wiggling the round in.

I like the feature where the primers are collected in a tube, and my present turret, a T-25 Redding, does not have that feature.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

The LEE is the least expensive new turret press out there, it has a nice system for collecting the spent primers, it has a very long stroke and it is adaptable for volume loading. My brother has one, it has its appeal, but it has limitations, and may not suit your needs. It also takes advantage of many cost cutting manufacturing methods and materials. I probably wouldn't buy one for myself, but it does have some features and advantages that other turret presses do not.

My first choice would be a Redding T-7, next a Lyman T- Mag, followed by an RCBS Turret. I like the traditional turret press, but I've yet to find a press that I like enough to replace my old RCBS RockChucker as my main press. I have the R-C on my main bench, with a T-25 on the bench beside it for pistol and such, and my Redding Ultra-Mag behind me for decapping, because it has the primer capture tube. I also use it for case forming. The U-M was a real disappointment as a replacement for my main press, I found putting shells in and out of the shell holder very awkward, other than that it is top drawer, a very good press.

My latest press, a vintage press from the late 50's, is a Lyman Tru-Line Jr. Resurrecting it and finding dies was an interesting adventure, makes one appreciate progress.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/nitro-express/Lyman%20Tru-Line%20Jr/T-LjrSetUp_zpsd6159e76.jpg (http://s244.photobucket.com/user/nitro-express/media/Lyman%20Tru-Line%20Jr/T-LjrSetUp_zpsd6159e76.jpg.html)

gpidaho
11-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Navy Vet: That was the only thing that I could find to fault the Dillon 550, always wished I would have bought the 650 instead for the extra die station. Not that there was ever a problem, but I would have liked a spot for a powder check die on a progressive. GP

NavyVet1959
11-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Navy Vet: That was the only thing that I could find to fault the Dillon 550, always wished I would have bought the 650 instead for the extra die station. Not that there was ever a problem, but I would have liked a spot for a powder check die on a progressive. GP

I do my bullet seating a crimping as two separate operations, thus the need for 4 position when I'm doing normal reloading. When I'm doing duplex loads, I really would like to have 7 positions, but I'm not willing to spend the money on the Redding T-7 press.

aussie-dave
11-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret. Over the last few years it has given me "Nil" problems, it still has the original square plastic ratchet thingy in it, hasn't broken yet.

At one point I had all my dies in extra turrets setup for 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 45acp, 22-250rem, 243 and 308 win.

I never loaded for bench rest accuracy, but using the Pro powder measure and double disk kit gave good quality, reliable accurate ammunition. Using lee products I was able to setup for all of my reloading needs for a third of the cost of the more expensive brands.

I'm not knocking the other manufacturers, but for what I needed and Lee's price point they got and kept me as a customer.

Cheers, Dave.

flyingmonkey35
12-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Hey leftyred has one for sale.

UNIQUEDOT
12-01-2014, 10:11 AM
It's hard to beat the Lee classic cast for design and function if you can make do with 4 stations.

deepskyridge
12-01-2014, 10:44 AM
I have a T7, I use it for rifle only. I did not care for the priming system so I got a RCBS press mounted strip loader. If you get a T7 I have the priming system available.

I have 4 turrets and can do caliber changes in a minute or so.

Good Luck
Gary

gunoil
12-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I would get a 550b dillon.

Lefty Red
12-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Hey leftyred has one for sale.

Yep! I am keeping one at a friend's house set up for 38's. One toolhead is set up for 148-WC and the other is set up for 125-RF. Both with there own PM, I can change out in a minute or less.

But buy knowing that the money is going towards a Redding T-7 for my 44 magnum and 357 magnum setup at my apartment! :)

Jerry

Leadmelter
12-03-2014, 01:42 AM
My first turret press that I still use is Posness Warner P-200. I reload a bunch small batch stuff with to this day. All steel and easy to use, take a look. My other presses are the Rockchucker, Dillon 550B, and a old Lyman Turret that and I am working on to clean up.
Leadmelter
MI

Hankster1962
12-05-2014, 10:40 AM
My favourite press

I started off with an RCBS Rock Chucker about 25 years ago. I still have it and do all rifle or bottle neck cartridges, including the 7.62 x 25. I also use it for forming 338-06 a-square rounds. It has served me well. I have also owned a Lee 3 hole auto index press, and have used that for years for all my pistol ammo. I was so impressed with this press, I bought a second one. Bar none, the 3 hole auto index made by Lee is the best press I have ever used. If I had to own but one press, without a doubt it would be this. Simple, fast enough, semi progressive, a joy to use. Over the years I have added a used Lee Challenger, just because the price was right, and have acquired 2 Lee automators that I have added to the Challenger and the Rockchucker. (piggy back unit that convert a single stage to a progressive, basically a Lee Pro1000) Once the kinks were worked out, it became a pleasure to use the automators. I shoot a lot, both rifle and pistol, and therefore cast and reload many rounds. I wish Lee still made that 3 hole turret press.

44Vaquero
12-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Hankster1962,

Happy to hear that the Automator's have worked out for you! I also continue to enjoy using mine. What calibers are you loading on them?

People are always asking me when I will be switching over to the 4-hole turret and my reply is always the same "When lee quits selling the nylon gear and my stash of spares runs out!". Since I do not use the FCD 3 holes is all that I need!

Alan in WI
12-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I own two turret presses. One is a Redding the other the Lee Classic turret press. I use the Redding for black powder cartridge and the Lee for everything else, .454 casull, 45 colt, 44 special, and .380. I really love the Lee. Like the others have said, $10 bucks you have another turret, leave the dies set and your ready to go the next time.

Markbo
12-05-2014, 09:12 PM
All this talk made me wanno do something so I dusted the Lyman T-Mag turret and deprimed, sized & primed about 400 .204 Ruger cases. All separated by manufacturer. It was nice. Now tomorrow I am going to load up up some .25-06 test loads for a new barrel. This is where a turret press excels changing bullets, seating depth, powder, etc. I have never put a stopwatch to it but it sure feels like I am loading faster than the Rock Chuck when doing this.

NC_JEFF
12-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Lee 4 hole turret press is my favorite. I have had a Lee Loadmaster for years and its great but I only use it as an auto-indexing press instead of progressive , I prefer to hand prime because of priming problems in the past when loading progressive. The Lee Classic 4 hole turret does the same job for less than half the cost and hasn't failed me yet. I much prefer having my different calibers on separate turrets and the Lee makes that an easy option at the price. Sempet Fi

JD

rfd
12-08-2014, 06:06 PM
for use once a month or so, lee classic turret.

for use at least weekly or more, redding t7.

charlie b
12-08-2014, 06:58 PM
I would consider once a week a Lee, once a day a Dillon/Redding/Lyman, etc. Maybe cause that's how much I did on mine. But, I only ran a bit more than 100k rounds through it ;)

dragon813gt
12-08-2014, 08:39 PM
for use once a month or so, lee classic turret.

for use at least weekly or more, redding t7.

I don't understand this line of thinking. So the Lee isn't even up to monthly use?

The extra turrets make everything really convenient.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/CD88A9F8-F977-4EE5-B08E-F9F285D6FCD9.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/CD88A9F8-F977-4EE5-B08E-F9F285D6FCD9.jpg.html)
I leave a note in the box as to which bullet the dies are set up for. And there are dummy rounds made to make adjusting them quick.

jmort
12-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Obviously he making a point about something he has no experience with. With the exception of the plastic auto-index piece, the Classic Turret is built to last.

44Vaquero
12-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Heaven's I best run into my reloading room and toss out all Lee turret and Progressives! According the obviously well informed opinion listed above, they may self destruct at any time, since they are well over 100,000 rounds and one is approaching 200,000!

Oh, and just an FYI the turret is the original aluminum base unit! @ over a 100,000 round that's 300,000 pulls of the handle! Properly maintained and cared for most reloading tools will last longer than their owners, even Lee!

dragon813gt
12-08-2014, 09:42 PM
With the exception of the plastic auto-index piece, the Classic Turret is built to last.

That piece isn't meant to last. It's the weak link that breaks so more expensive parts don't. I once inquired about a metal replacement ratchet. It was pointed out to me why you want it to be plastic. I've replaced one so far. This is most likely from me short stroking the press. W/ the cost of replacement I'm not complaining.

dikman
12-09-2014, 01:37 AM
Dragon, good idea about keeping a dummy round with the dies :Bright idea:. Such a simple idea I don't know why I didn't think of it. (Actually, I do know but I'm not saying....).

jmort
12-09-2014, 01:43 AM
I too like the dummy round idea. I know the plastic auto index piece is designed to be the sacrificial weak link. Like the shear pins in a post hole digger or rotary cutter, it goes first. I ran a four hole Lee turret for quite a while. The plastic auto index piece is far more durable than one would expect.

Hankster1962
12-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Hello 44Vaquero

Good to hear from ya. I own two 3 hole Lee turret presses. One, I have owned for about 25-30 years. I have literally loaded hundreds of thousands of pistol ammo on this unit. Other than some general and regular maintenance, I think I might have changed two nylon ratchet gears. I does have the auto index. Like I said I was so impressed with the Lee 3 hole turret press, that I purchased a second one, some time ago. It to has the auto index, and it has run beautifully. Why Lee stopped making the auto index three hole, I don't know. I swear by these presses. Since last speaking to you, I have purchased a second Automator. I use it on my RCBS Rockchucker, and mount it on a powder stand when I need the single stage. I use one automator (small primer) for 38/357 and the other one (large primer) for 45 Colt. I have purchased shell plates for 38/357, 44 (45 colt), 9mm, 32, 40, and 45acp. I left one turret for 45 acp, and the other one for 40. It is so easy to swap turrets on the turret press and get going on another calibre. If I could own a press for each calibre I would, but room is always a factor. I ended up buying the second Automator from a buddy, who purchased two Pro1000's afterwards. I will have to say, once the kinks are all worked out, they work excellently.
I believe all reloading companies make excellent products. I own a pile of RCBS equipment, it has served me well over the years. But so has Lee, Lyman etc. I do not own much from Hornady or Dillon, but I am sure their products are just as good. I will not sit back and knock any company down. Some like Ford, some Chev, some Toyota, Kia or whatever. Same goes here.
All I can tell you is that pound for pound, the majority of Lee's equipment is great. Their 3 hole press is spectacular and I would put it up against any other turret press. If I could only keep one press, it definitely would be their 3 hole turret.
Love the Automators as well. Start off slowly, pay attention to what you are doing and you have it made. I have been reloading a lot in the last month, aside from the above mentioned calibers, I have been doing quite a bit of the smaller calibers lately, 9mm Mak, 380, 32 acp and 38 s & w. All caught up now, so I am back to my 45 Colt, 45 Acp, 9mm, 40, and 38 spl. Gotta love it.
What's new with you, how are you making out with your Automator?

MtGun44
12-13-2014, 07:35 PM
I agree with Dromia. Lee turret is a nice press but the priming has to be done on
a hand primer. I have never been able to get their "Safety Prime" system to work with
small primers without dropping about 3 in 10 on the floor. Real PITA, and they just
can't seem to make the plastic parts fit well enough for small primers, works pretty
well for large primers.

Redding T-7 works great, and I occasionally use the priming system. I use Dillon
550Bs for large quantities, and the turrets for smaller quantities, and wind up doing
the priming by Lee Autoprime hand primer most of the time. Works much better.

T-7 is great, I keep an allen key in the top bolt to make sure it stays snug. I could
put a drop of blue Loctite, but the wrench and an occasional check is fine, too.

Bill

Markbo
12-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Odd. I use yhe safety prime hamd primers all thr time. One for large and one for small. I do 100s of .223 @ a time and dont have any troubles except the occasional upside down or crooked primer. Maybe ... 3 out of 100?

ruizhernandeztrust
12-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Love my Redding t7, works like a champ.

rfd
12-14-2014, 06:49 AM
I don't understand this line of thinking. So the Lee isn't even up to monthly use?

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/CD88A9F8-F977-4EE5-B08E-F9F285D6FCD9.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/CD88A9F8-F977-4EE5-B08E-F9F285D6FCD9.jpg.html)
I leave a note in the box as to which bullet the dies are set up for. And there are dummy rounds made to make adjusting them quick.

having owned and used both for more than 3 years, imho the t7 has a far better priming system and is just a more robust, stronger and better built turret press than any other turret press commercially available. ymmv.

Lefty Red
12-14-2014, 07:50 AM

I normally throw away the Red Spheres of Death that Lee use to send there dies in. Never knew you cold store turret heads in them! But makes allot of sense!

Jerry

r1kk1
12-14-2014, 12:25 PM
I wrote an email for Hornady to bring out a LNL turret press. I like Forster/Sinclair lock rings, so the Lee has too tight of die spacing to allow this. I know the T-7 will. I wish I could find a way to tap the T-7 to accept 1-¼" dies. I would then use LNL bushings. That would be my dream turret. Until then I have two presses that accept LNL bushings. One goes with me to the range.

take care

r1kk1

jmort
12-14-2014, 12:28 PM
For $300 the T7 better be better than a $100 Classic Turret.

r1kk1
12-14-2014, 01:47 PM
For $300 the T7 better be better than a $100 Classic Turret.

Don't understand the point your making. For me, die spacing kills the deal for me. I pull dies out of heads to use in my COAX, or into LNL bushings. I do have to use shims, otherwise I would be adjusting dies. The only die on my toolhead that doesn't have a Forster lock ring on it is the crimp die. I'm not counting the powder through expander station, that stays setup in the head at all times. I do switch neck sizer and full length sizers out occasionally.

Too bad Lee didn't do a four hole Turret threaded for 1-¼" dies. I would have bought one in a heartbeat minute.

I believe some of the older Hollywood's accepted 1-¼" dies, I just don't know what thread pitch, but I may be wrong. This may or may not be the answer I'm looking for. If so, I may be on the hunt for Hollywood.

Can someone post die spacing holes on the T-7?

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the Hollywood's that used larger dies?

take care

r1kk1

jmort
12-14-2014, 01:59 PM
It is a non-sequitur to your point. My point was really to the thread as a whole where many like the T7, and who could argue with that? But to compare it to a perfectly good press like the Classic Turret, you are comparing a $300 press to a $100 press. It had better be much better for the $$$.

The diameter of the holes is an important issue as I use the Breechlock system and the LnL system is a great advantage.

dragon813gt
12-14-2014, 02:27 PM
I normally throw away the Red Spheres of Death that Lee use to send there dies in. Never knew you cold store turret heads in them! But makes allot of sense!

Jerry

You have to flip the bottom piece over and the pieces don't lock together anymore. But it keeps everything clean and it's not like I'm moving them around all the time.

Everyone has different experiences and opinions so there will never be a consensus. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of people saying they're all junk unless it's a Dillon ;)

As far as the Safety Prime goes. I'm one that used to curse it all the time. Then I figured out how to operate it. It actually has a wide operational range in relation to the primer cup. It's all in how you operate it. It requires a light touch, that's it. I know it's a frustrating tool to lots of people. But I stuck w/ it and wouldn't be w/out it now.

NavyVet1959
12-14-2014, 02:35 PM
You have to flip the bottom piece over and the pieces don't lock together anymore. But it keeps everything clean and it's not like I'm moving them around all the time.

Half of mine won't lock together anyway. I have to keep the load data sheet in the container and let an edge of it drop down between the two plastic pieces to provide a tight fit. I've dropped at least one set of dies because I picked it up from the top and the bottom only stayed on it long enough for me to get it off the shelf and over my foot. :(

I would like to store my dies with the toolheads, but I sometimes use the dies in one press and sometimes in another press.

So, basically, I'm always adjusting dies... :(

MDphotographer
12-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Don't understand the point your making. For me, die spacing kills the deal for me. I pull dies out of heads to use in my COAX, or into LNL bushings. I do have to use shims, otherwise I would be adjusting dies. The only die on my toolhead that doesn't have a Forster lock ring on it is the crimp die. I'm not counting the powder through expander station, that stays setup in the head at all times. I do switch neck sizer and full length sizers out occasionally.

Too bad Lee didn't do a four hole Turret threaded for 1-¼" dies. I would have bought one in a heartbeat minute.

I believe some of the older Hollywood's accepted 1-¼" dies, I just don't know what thread pitch, but I may be wrong. This may or may not be the answer I'm looking for. If so, I may be on the hunt for Hollywood.

Can someone post die spacing holes on the T-7?

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the Hollywood's that used larger dies?

take care

r1kk1

Hollywood presses usually come with 1-1/2-12 threads or a mix of 1-1/2-12 and 7/8-14 threads you can get bushings for Hollywood presses at CH4D.com I also make new turrets for the Hollywoods with whatever hole configuration you want

Alvarez Kelly
12-14-2014, 07:10 PM
... Everyone has different experiences and opinions so there will never be a consensus. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of people saying they're all junk unless it's a Dillon ;)

The OP asked about turret presses. Dillon doesn't make a turret press, but if they did, you know it would be the best ever made. :-)

r1kk1
12-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Hollywood presses usually come with 1-1/2-12 threads or a mix of 1-1/2-12 and 7/8-14 threads you can get bushings for Hollywood presses at CH4D.com I also make new turrets for the Hollywoods with whatever hole configuration you want

OH MY GOD! I need a Hollywood! Is he still in buisness after the shop burned? I need to check the for sale section. I need to research how many stations these are. I know they came in different heights.

Thank you, thank you!

Now we are talking about a turret press! It also does 50 BMG!

im on the prowl!

r1kk1

C.I.D
12-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Lyman has a good one I used for 2-3 years before I got my Dillon.