PDA

View Full Version : Video of 9mm Shell set off with Torch

BadgerArms
11-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Was reading Hatcher's Notebook and wanted to see if I could duplicate what Hatcher did. I was really surprised. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/qvpGzSl7TPk

seaboltm
11-26-2014, 08:25 PM
It went deeper into the gel than I would have guessed. I used to shoot the primers of loaded 12 gauge shells with a 22 pistol for target practice. I was very unimpressed with the result the 22 bullet hit the primer. Yes, they went off, but the bird shot did not go deep into the wood at all.

BadgerArms
11-26-2014, 08:31 PM
It went deeper into the gel than I would have guessed. I used to shoot the primers of loaded 12 gauge shells with a 22 pistol for target practice. I was very unimpressed with the result the 22 bullet hit the primer. Yes, they went off, but the bird shot did not go deep into the wood at all.

We did 12 ga buckshot, birdshot, and 20 ga high brass. I'm posting one video a week and I have 12 filmed, so if you subscribe on youtube you'll see them eventually. I will say that one of them gave us some pretty impressive results.

Charlie U.
11-26-2014, 09:35 PM
The brass casing penetrated deeper than the bullet......it is the lighter component and had more velocity.

I've heard from volunteer firefighters that when ammo burns off in a house fire that the brass casings fly further and pose more of a hazard than the actual projectiles. I guess this demonstrates that.

BDJ
11-27-2014, 05:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

SAAMI video

upnorthwis
11-27-2014, 11:42 AM
This was done on Mythbuster's a couple of years ago and they got the same results. Brass went farther that boolit. And Kari Byron is hotter than my molten lead.

BenW
11-27-2014, 08:01 PM
I think I'll stop asking what caused the ammo shortage...

BadgerArms
11-28-2014, 05:51 PM
I think I'll stop asking what caused the ammo shortage...
I would like to think that if a firefighter was afraid BEFORE they watched the video, then AFTER, they might actually try to put out a fire even with ammo cooking off inside. The ammo was likely donated by the manufacturers as they all support SAAMI and stand to benefit. Imagine how high insurance rates would be for gun stores, reloaders, and gun owners if we let fantasy, Hollywood, and hype decide how we view guns and ammunition instead of science, logic, and fact.

BenW
11-28-2014, 06:24 PM
True, and I'm glad they did it. Shows how safe modern cartridges are. Honestly, all that ammo was probably 2 gun store's worth.

303Guy
11-28-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm surprised any ammo was set off at all by dropping. Heating with a torch yes. Shooting them is pretty much what I would have expected.

BadgerArms
11-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm surprised any ammo was set off at all by dropping. Heating with a torch yes. Shooting them is pretty much what I would have expected.
The ammo going off if dropped is the law of probability. The primers are likely not getting hit on the side, but rather crushing. Eventually, one has to go off. The point of the SAAMI video is, "Look, freight carriers and first responders, you need to understand that this stuff is less dangerous than some of the other stuff you're carrying".

TXGunNut
11-29-2014, 09:11 PM
I was expecting case failure and small brass projectiles and very little penetration. Cartridge case was stronger than I expected. I was quite surprised by the amount of penetration. I was in the ER one night when someone came in injured by a .22 round supposedly ingited in an ashtray. Doc reported it as a GSW so we had to do a report. I told him he was probably looking for a brass fragment, not a bullet.

BadgerArms
11-30-2014, 08:08 PM
I was expecting case failure and small brass projectiles and very little penetration. Cartridge case was stronger than I expected. I was quite surprised by the amount of penetration. I was in the ER one night when someone came in injured by a .22 round supposedly ingited in an ashtray. Doc reported it as a GSW so we had to do a report. I told him he was probably looking for a brass fragment, not a bullet.
I'm posting the .22 LR video around Wednesday. I found that there were no more than two pieces of case in any of my tests. I think once it starts to go, the pressure drops pretty steeply and it doesn't have enough energy to make shrapnel. I think we only had one instance of a case that separated in two.