PDA

View Full Version : Handi-Rifle trigger work???

crowbarforge
11-26-2014, 06:56 PM
I have two of these single shot rifles, one is a Harrington & Richardson receiver (case hardened) with a Topper 158 bbl chambered in .30-30 and the other is a newer Harrington & Richardson receiver (blued) with a SB2 Ultra bbl in .357 Max. Both show potential for real accuracy, but both have a trigger like 8 miles of a bad dirt road.

Anyone doing trigger work on these fine utility rifles? Or maybe a tutorial?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

kbstenberg
11-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Go to Graybeard they have everything you need for Handi's

seaboltm
11-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Here is a video. It is long but has all the details you could want. And its free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_8kge23wQ

leadman
11-26-2014, 08:30 PM
The triggers in the earlier H&R casehardened receivers would chip at the sear surfaces sometimes and this placed a larger load on the rest of the sear surface. I've had to replace about a half dozen over the years. Don't know if they are available now.

45coltnut
11-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Here's a pdf that I used when doing mine. I ended up with a nice 3 lb. trigger that had very little creep. Overall, its a nice trigger for the gun. Hope it helps and Happy Thanksgiving.

http://perkloafm.com/pdf/Handi_instr_one.pdf

Goatwhiskers
11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
The above link to perklo is good advice. I will say to NOT do any stoning of the engagement surfaces on trigger and hammer other than a very light polishing. The case hardening is very thin and if you cut thru it your pull weight will go south quickly, getting lighter and lighter. Only cure then is replacement of both parts. FWIW, I reduced the pull on two of mine by pulling the trigger group and lubing the engageing surfaces with a gunslick grease from Brownells, went from over 5# to right at 3#, no other work done. Pretty sure the stuff has graphite in it. GW

Nobade
11-27-2014, 03:03 PM
A ballpoint pen spring makes a good replacement for the factory monster truck spring and give a nice light trigger. Don't get it too light or you won't pull it through enough to operate the transfer bar and will get misfires. (Newer actions of course) Make yourself some slave pins when you get it taken apart, you'll have a much easier time getting it back together!

-Nobade

Goatwhiskers
11-28-2014, 09:25 AM
FWIW, all of the barrels for quite a while have been stamped SB2, means absolutely nothing. When you root around on the graybeard site be sure to read up on the frames that are used on Handis. The SB2 frame is made of investment cast steel and is heat treated, takes most all rifle calibers except belted magnums. The SB1 frame is cast iron and is used for shotguns and low pressure cartridges like .357 and .44M. It's important to know the difference. GW

rfd
11-30-2014, 04:58 PM
i've had four H&R .45-70's, good rifles except for the 5-7# trigger. i've been told by H&R/Rem that the trigger components have been surfaced hardened only, so be very very careful if you use a file on those (i wouldn't, far too risky on two accounts). some folks that have done those trigger mods mentioned online have reported that over time the pull continually lightens, which means they probably filed/honed past the case hardened steel. what worked best for me is to pull off the barrel, get some graphite into the action, work the trigger - cock it, release it but hold it with a finger and don't dry fire. that will hone and lighten the pull to the best it can safely be. if it wasn't for those dang H&R triggers, i'd still have those rifles and probably more. :)

ASSASSIN
11-30-2014, 10:32 PM
I do H&R trigger jobs 6 days a week, every week, so if you still need someone to do a trigger job, send me a PM...

Triggers are adjusted down to 2 1/2-3 pounds, with no creep for a nice clean break....

A

Parson
12-01-2014, 09:45 PM
If you do a trigger job and then for any reason send it back to the factory they will take it out and replace it with a new 8 pounder

rfd
12-01-2014, 10:00 PM
If you do a trigger job and then for any reason send it back to the factory they will take it out and replace it with a new 8 pounder

wonder if they'll still do that now that there are realtively big changes happening to both H&R and remington ....

crowbarforge
12-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Assassin...sent you a PM.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-02-2014, 12:55 PM
wonder if they'll still do that now that there are realtively big changes happening to both H&R and remington ....

Mine came back 2 weeks ago as it was sent in. I did the trigger and made a new lifter link by hand, the results where 3 pound pull, no creep and I
no longer had to pull the trigger all the way to the back. It would break and fire with a short "real rifle" trigger pull. The longer link increased the time the transfer bar stayed up
in firing position eliminating the need for the full length pull. It came back as sent in, likely becasue they are under staffed and busy since the announcement of the end of the program.

Dinny
12-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Yes, but ONLY if the pull weight is below 3 lbs. IMHO, hunting rifles don't need a pull weight below 3lbs anyways.

Thanks, Dinny

troyboy
12-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Jim can you post pictures or a drawing of your lifter link mod? Thanks

jaysouth
12-05-2014, 10:05 PM
I do H&R trigger jobs 6 days a week, every week, so if you still need someone to do a trigger job, send me a PM...

Triggers are adjusted down to 2 1/2-3 pounds, with no creep for a nice clean break....

A

Very nice work indeed. The work you did on my rifle made it a first class shooter. Trigger job, trim and recrown barrel and bed a scope mount. Reaming it out to .357MAX gave me a first class hunting rifle.

Question: What do you think of CVA Hunters and Scouts as a platform? They are coming to the market in bigger numbers than before.

ASSASSIN
12-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Jaysouth,

thank you for the compliments, and I'm glad you like your 357 Maximum...

I am seeing more and more of the CVA guns, and for what they are, I like them. I have built a few barrel stubbed barrels for them, do a couple of trigger jobs a week, and of course the usual barrel work of muzzle recrowning, rechambering, muzzle brakes, etc....

nanuk
12-08-2014, 12:52 PM
.... I did the trigger and made a new lifter link by hand, the results where 3 pound pull, no creep and I no longer had to pull the trigger all the way to the back. It would break and fire with a short "real rifle" trigger pull. The longer link increased the time the transfer bar stayed up in firing position eliminating the need for the full length pull. ...

any chance there are pictures and drawings of your mod?

that sounds like a great modification, short of eliminating the transfer bar completely and working the hammer/firing pin relationship

TXShooter66
06-09-2020, 01:18 PM

A

Do you still do these trigger jobs?

TXShooter66
06-09-2020, 03:16 PM
I have a .308 Survivor that needs some help. PM me your info, I may have you work on it.

ASSASSIN
06-09-2020, 03:34 PM
PM Sent!

Wolfdog91
01-27-2021, 02:23 AM
Any pictures of the websites elongated lifter lol ?