PDA

View Full Version : 45 Redhawk

Dr. A
02-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Just got a new one with a 4 inch barrel. Went out and used some of my loads for my other 45's and decided my barrel needs a bit of lapping. Pushing a slug through, I got .4517 for the groove. My throats are all .4515. Think I need it reamed? I probably will do it. My 454 SRH's are both .452. There is also a thread crush ( very slight) where the barrel meets the frame. Ths is what I'll lapp for. Its always a bit frustrating to get a 45, but is this really all that bad? Accuracy didn't suck, but it wasn't what I'd hoped for. Will just shooting have a good chance of calming it down? All my other Blackhawks in 45 have needed quite a bit of reaming and lapping.

dubber123
02-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I would open up the throats if it were mine. At least they aren't way off. Should be a great gun.

GSPKurt
02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
I would open up the throats if it were mine. At least they aren't way off. Should be a great gun.

+1 on reaming the throats.

runfiverun
02-12-2008, 11:10 PM
452 throats till the barell is lapped out should be a good shooter though

Bass Ackward
02-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Will just shooting have a good chance of calming it down? All my other Blackhawks in 45 have needed quite a bit of reaming and lapping.

Sure. Ruger used to use some kind of thread lock on it's threads that may all be settled in one area and responsible for the slight crush. I'd shoot any new gun for a couple hundred shots before I ever considered anything. Then if it don't even out, correct it. Since your dimensions are THAT close, I would break the gun in first and take new measurements before making any decisions.

BABore
02-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Ditto that!

If, after shooting a couple hundred rounds, you still show tight throats, I would firelap it first, then make a determination on the throats. Firelapping will open the throats some, but not much. Your only putting one lapping round through each cylinder throat for every six that go down the bbl.

9.3X62AL
02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Those dimensions are pretty close, and A LOT better than Ruger 45 Colts were 6-8 years ago. I agree that the revolver needs a good test drive before taking tools to it. As long as leading isn't going on, I would give it 500 rounds of firing before establishing (or modifying) its dimensional relationship between grooves and throats. If you are getting a leaded bore, different story--if the dimensions can be isolated as the leading's cause.

Dr. A
02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm doing some indoor shooting tonight. Got some j-word bullets and 255 Keiths going about 900fps. Loaded up 100 of each, and then will try my RCBS 270 SAA that works so well with my Blackhawks. I think I shot up 170 rounds the other day, so it'll change a bit if its going to. I had hopes the throats would be like my SRH. That is the 452 throat. Is there any reason to be reluctant to open the throats? I can see no disadvantage at all. I have the reamer...

AlaskaMike
02-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd say if you have the reamer and know how to do it, go for it--I can't see it hurting anything.

Mike

9.3X62AL
02-14-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't think the .452" reamer would hurt anything--I just don't like taking tools to things not broken. I say a longer test drive might make the evil spirits go away.

Dr. A
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't think the .452" reamer would hurt anything--I just don't like taking tools to things not broken. I say a longer test drive might make the evil spirits go away.

HMMM,

Too much recoil.:mrgreen:

I promise to shoot it a month and give it a true test drive. Then I'll ream ream ream.:drinks: