PDA

View Full Version : Traded away a Python

Guesser
11-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Was an early stainless, 1982 or 3, don't remember fer shur. But anyway; I stuck it in the pickup when I went to the gun show in Chinook. Went in and wandered around for a while. Catching my eye was a Colt Trooper Mark V, I've never owned one nor shot one. I own and shoot several different Colts in 357 but never a Mark V. It is beautiful,much better looking than the stainless Python. I went out to the Pickup and got the Python, we talked trade and boot and I came away with a Colt Trooper Mark V, 6", blue, only drawback is the OEM stocks are gone and it wears Pachmyrs. Got some boot to make it fair, so we are both happy. I have another Python so it's not as if theres a shortage in my safe. Put a couple hundred hand loads thru the Mark V; I am impressed, it is a better shooter than the stainless Python ever was, same hand loads. I am very pleased!!!!!

Ramar
11-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Good for you. Gotta do what makes you happy! I prefer not to sell or trade just cash out the door; I always 2nd guess and regret my kids leaving home.

Any idea on MFG date of the Mark V?
Ramar

Jeff82
11-26-2014, 10:02 AM
I love your taste in revolvers!

I'm curious about your stainless steel python. Did it ever seize up after you ran a lot of rounds through it? I've heard that that was a problem with early stainless revolvers.

nighthunter
11-26-2014, 10:27 AM
I get my Python back on Friday. I've owned it for 40 years and after many thousands of rounds fired through it I had it sent back to Colt to be retimed. The gunsmith who I dealt with called yesterday and said I could pick it up Friday. Colt revolvers are a well tuned machine and every one I have owned has been a beautiful shooter. Congrats on the Mark V.

Nighthunter

Silver Jack Hammer
11-26-2014, 10:53 AM
You made a good trade. I'll bet if you acquire a blued Python you won't trade it away. Stainless is an entirely different steel than carbon steel. To each his own but I've never been entirely satisfied with any stainless handgun I've ever owned and won't but another one.

Keep up posted on how the Mark V shoots.

Guesser
11-26-2014, 12:21 PM
I already have a blue Python and the Mark V is a great shooter, maybe as good as my Officers Models. The Mark V dates to 1985 as I remember.

Dan Cash
11-26-2014, 02:19 PM
I will open for flame war as I think, unless you got a bucket full of loot to boot, you really traded down.

Guesser
11-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Dan; you have no idea how much boot I got with this Mark V; nor do you have any idea how much I paid for this or what I had in the Python. believe me when i say " this ain't my first python choking party". Guns is fun, if I can't have fun with them then they is goin' ter market. Ya got no infermashun ter start a war with; flame out!!!!!

enfieldphile
11-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Guesser,

Congrats on the MkV! They are somewhat rare, and now Colt collectors are giving them serious consideration. The MkV has a few improvements over the MkIV. When I had the oppurtunity to get a clean, blued MkV 4' @ the right price, I jumped on it! It's a great shooter.

Sorry for the camera flash pic
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/trooper%20Mk%20V/Trooper1.jpg

Pythons, though expensive, are redially available.

Guesser
11-26-2014, 11:12 PM
It is a great shooter. I have a Trooper 357, Trooper Mk III, and now the Trooper Mark V. The Mark V is easier to shoot better with than the stainless Python. My blue Python is very good, but the Mark V feels better. Same hand loads in all of them and all with my cast boolits.

seaboltm
11-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I would have kept the python. Just my opinion.

GP100man
11-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Well at least the cyl. still turns the same way .

Traded mine for 2 GP100s & have never looked back, this trade was some yrs. back mind you!

If your satisfied , I`m happy for ya !!

The MarkV is as solid a revolver as Colt made.

GP:cbpour:

rintinglen
11-27-2014, 01:54 AM
I had a MK V and while the action was not as smooth as my Python, it was very accurate and much more durable. Mine was a 6 incher and a much better gun than the MK III that it replaced.

Guesser
11-27-2014, 08:11 AM
The key to all this is the fact of life that many, many more Pythons were built than Mark V's. I have had a number of Pythons but this is my one and only Mark V. I still have a 1979 blue Python so it is not as if I'll fade away from lack of sustenance by Python. I still like this Mark V better than I did that ugly stainless Python and the Mark V shoots almost as good as my Officers Models and they all shoot better than any Python I've ever owned. Some said they still would have kept the Python. My question to all of you is this: Have you ever owned both a Python and a Mark V? If you haven't then you are just passing gas in the wind!!!

6bg6ga
11-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Never owned a Python and the wife always wanted me to find her one. I understand they are accurate but not quite as stout as some models are. Since I have been watching the price for years if it had been me I would have kept it...money in the bank. I would have bought the other gun straight out.

As for passing gas....yup, did pass some this morning. Haven't owned either but have shot both....does this count? I found both to be accurate but then again maybe its just me.

375supermag
11-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Hi...

I have two Colt Troopers, one Mark III and a Mark V.

Both are quite accurate and nice looking revolvers. I bought both for about $350 each a year or so apart a few years ago.

Never owned a Python so I have no way to judge which might be better.

I will say this...my Colt Troopers are considerably more accurate than a friend's Ruger GP100.

None of those three revolvers are in the same class accuracy-wise as my S&W 686 Silhouette Model.

Having said all that...

If a Python came my way at a reasonable price, I would happily give it a new home. I can always find a use for another handgun.

Guesser
11-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Hell, I'd buy another Python, if I like the looks and the price is right. I made money on the one I traded away and it was stainless, that stainless factor is a huge detraction for me. I only buy stainless if the model was not offered any other way. I bought the stainless python because it was a helluva deal and I'm always open to them; deals, that is. I just trade horses, I don't race them. The guns; I trade them too, but I do shoot them enough to know if I want to keep.

Guesser
11-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Most here said they would keep the Python. That seems to be a minority view today. There are more used Pythons on the market today than at any time I can remember. So, many, many Pythons are not "being kept".

Silver Jack Hammer
11-27-2014, 10:55 AM
I went through the police academy with the Colt Trooper Mark III loaned to me by the Captain. A lot of us used that gun in the academy when we were rookies. Now you've got me thinkin' about looking for a Mark V. The Mark V hadn't been made yet when I went through the police academy.

Lots and lots of guys carried Pythons back then, Colt hadn't been introduced the stainless Python yet. None of us in the academy carried the Python because we had just started getting paychecks and couldn't afford them.

My best buddy carried the Mark III also.

Not a single one of us had a bottom feeder.