PDA

View Full Version : There I was......

Friends call me Pac
11-25-2014, 09:51 PM
I've been hunting a small area of public land with my 30.30 and NOE 311165. Now I love public land that I can access by boat because I don't see very many hunters that way. This is a new wma that I have only hunted about 5 times now but today I kept the boundary signs on my right and did some walking. Found some good looking stuff. It got dark then it happened!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc157/pactac/2014-09-2505_opt2_zpsc727958d.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/pactac/media/2014-09-2505_opt2_zpsc727958d.jpg.html)

I was 20 feet from the boat ramp when I heard something kind of like a Polaris missile taking off! I couldn't see very well due to the darkness but I heard something whack the anchor light then was slapped up side my head! On the way down he landed on my tiller arm and did something to kill the engine. To add insult to injury well I hate to admit it but he slimmed me like I was a cast member in Ghost busters.

I was hunting with cast so does this count as a cast hunt kill?

Wolfer
11-25-2014, 09:58 PM
That's what I like about hunting. When you leave in the morning there are endless possibilities that could happen before you get home.

Southern Son
11-25-2014, 10:27 PM
As much as I hate the tilarpia and despise the carp (and whatever the name of that asian perch that is infecting the Great Barrier Reef), those things terrify me. I have seen stuff on TV and the internet where on some of your waterways you need a motorcycle helmet and football pads just to stop one of those things killing you while you motor along in you tinny. There is a special spot in hell for people that release stuff like that into non native waterways.

CLAYPOOL
11-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Looks like there was a hell of a fight by the tracts and wet spots in that photo...! next time get both hands around the neck..!

RickinTN
11-25-2014, 10:54 PM
I was looking at the picture and trying to decide .....did you shoot him, uh, behind the front uh, oh well, never mind.
Rick

centershot
11-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Okaaaaaay.........but, what species IS that thing???

Fishman
11-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Bighead or perhaps silver carp. Take out the bloodline and smoke it and it tastes just like salmon. If you don't have salmon. Boney, dry salmon. Brine it first and it's ok.

Bad Water Bill
11-26-2014, 01:39 AM
They have become a "life threatening" event to every water skier from Lake Michigan all the way down the river system to the area where they were released when a hurricane flooded out the ponds where they were raised as food.

Not sure how much further they have traveled UP the Mississippi river or other tributaries.

starmac
11-26-2014, 02:49 AM
I have had a lot of bass, mostly small ones jump in the boat at night, while out frogging. I think they are after insects buzzing around the light. Mullet out in the bay jump for no apparent reason, and I had one bean me right between the eyes once. It came close to laying me out for the count. lol
I have watched videos of those carp or whatever those things, and have never seen anything like the sheer numbers of fish jumping. I have even seen a couple of videos where the guys were shotgunning them. lol

Bad Water Bill
11-26-2014, 02:58 AM
Keep in mind that these jumping carp grow to OVER 100 POUNDS

Meet one of them while you are water skiing and see if you survive.

borg
11-26-2014, 04:08 AM
That's funny.
I go fishing and get a nice buck, you go hunting and get a silver carp.

richhodg66
11-26-2014, 05:31 AM
I bow fish a lot, love it. We don't have those Asian carp out here, yet. The common carp had a big die off last summer in my main lake and I'm not sure why, so not many last year.

I always thought a Mosin and some long heavy bullets would be fun to try, just don't know where I'd do it.

JSH
11-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Richhodge dunno what part of the state your in but the Missouri River is full of them. I can show you a couple of ponds in the hills above the river flood plain that has the things in them too. Birds transported them is my guess as there is no way to get a boat to these ponds.

Fishman, your comment is a joke right? Dunno if I could eat one of those ugly things or not. Rank right there oppossum.
Jeff

nagantguy
11-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Man that's crazy, fighting for your life with a fish! Time to get the old bow/ reel out. Sounds lie these things could provide endless opportunity to shoot arrow snag net etc.

Djones
11-26-2014, 10:14 AM
That's what I like about hunting. When you leave in the morning there are endless possibilities that could happen before you get home.

I agree Wolfer! You never know what a day in the woods/field will bring you. There is rarely a dull moment.

Lonegun1894
11-26-2014, 04:49 PM
JSH,
Fishman is right. They are good eating if you remove the bloodline like he said. It's like any other fish, some recipes work better than others. Also, keep in mind that some people consider catfish to be trash cause they think of them as bottom feeders. Then again, I also eat gar, so keep that in mind.

Almost forgot, in the US, carp may be considered inedible, but in Europe and Asia, they are considered a delicacy, so they are edible, but it is just a matter of finding a recipe you like. And those of you unfortunate enough to have to play high-stakes-dodge-fish games don't have a shortage of them, so get one, pick a recipe, and try it. If you don't like it, get another one, and try the next recipe, and keep going til you find some recipes you like. I like them smoked, grilled, fried, or baked. My mom occasionally makes a fish version of chicken soup with them, and it turns out well cause they tend to have a little fat in them. I just like fish all around though so I may be biased.

Forgetful
11-26-2014, 05:09 PM
There is a special spot in hell for people that release stuff like that into non native waterways.

I'm quite sure it's intentional. The fish that crawl over land, the bugs that eat our trees, the plants that choke native species that carry poisonous, burning, blinding sap. "They look pretty," is the argument for bringing them here. Lipstick on a pig is pretty to a few, but it's no excuse!

It's destroying our biodiversity. Maybe we should airdrop a million alligators or something to even things up. Or bring back the T-Rex.. (Guhzirra!)

Brett Ross
11-26-2014, 05:09 PM
I was out with a buddy about a month ago testing a outboard I had rewired for him. Now I have not now been on the Desmoines river here in southern Iowa for a few years. Running the main river was enjoyable until we ran near a large creek entrance and these thing started jumping all around us. 1 jumped in the boat and we had to slow down to a crawl for a bit as to run full out would have been a bit dicey. So Bill they have made it as far north as Iowa.
Tony

fatnhappy
11-26-2014, 05:17 PM
to more practical matters, where should you aim at that thing?