PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-2000

Jim_P
11-25-2014, 09:36 PM
So, for pistols, I'm looking at moving from my Single Stage into a progressive. I've looked at the LNL, the Dillons, and the RCBS. I've settled on the RCBS for my own reasons. No changing my mind. Sorry to the Red and Blues fans out there :) . Should allow me to shoot more and miss less.

Anyway, of those of you using a P-2000 what are my "gotcha's"?

I've already got the tube primer change over as I have so many primers not in APS strips (yes I know it comes with a loader - just a curmudgeon I guess) and am comfortable with the tube primer system. I also read all the early reports of troubles with the strips. So, I wanted to go this route. It's a whole lot easier to load tubes than APS strips.

I also got the Bullet Feeder dies. Since I have all carbide dies for my pistol calibers, that should fill the stations (size/deprime in 1, bell the mouth in 2 and prime, powder in 3, bullet in 4 and seat/crimp in 5).

Any tips before I get started?

Thanks folks.

Jim

Since I'm the only one who buys me Christmas presents, this is mine this year.

cheese1566
11-25-2014, 11:05 PM
RCBS Lock-out Die.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Jim,

I've owned a Pro 2000 auto advance for several years now. Responses to your stuff in red in the quote.

So, for pistols, I'm looking at moving from my Single Stage into a progressive. I've looked at the LNL, the Dillons, and the RCBS. I've settled on the RCBS for my own reasons. No changing my mind. Sorry to the Red and Blues fans out there :) . Should allow me to shoot more and miss less. Having owned the LnL, a 550 & loaded on a 650 a lot, I prefer the Pro 2000.

Anyway, of those of you using a P-2000 what are my "gotcha's"? There are no gotchas. You might want to buy extra die plates and think strongly on trimming for rifle on your progressive with a Dillon trimmer/die combo. That's what I did. Very happy with the speed/quality of the produced rifle brass. For luxury, add extra powder measures to individual die plates. I have Lee, Dillon, Hornady and RCBS powder measures, all case activated and they work great.

I've already got the tube primer change over as I have so many primers not in APS strips (yes I know it comes with a loader - just a curmudgeon I guess) and am comfortable with the tube primer system. I also read all the early reports of troubles with the strips. So, I wanted to go this route. It's a whole lot easier to load tubes than APS strips. Actually, with the primer loader that comes with the machine, it's easier to load strips. If your press is adjusted correctly, the APS strips are the MOST reliable primer feed out there, period. Had I seen where you decided to get a tube primer system, I would have advised you against it.

The early reports of troubles with strips are due to folks not taking the time to properly learn how to adjust the machine's timing properly and/or a run of machines with badly machined base plates. That will be true of any machine of any brand if it's not adjusted. I had early troubles with my early manufactured machine. It turned out not to be an adjustment problem, but an improperly machined base plate. RCBS sent me a new base plate along with calibration poins and instructions to install. After replacing the base plate and getting everything properly adjusted, my machine with strips runs like a swiss watch. It is so reliable, it gets boring to reload on it at times. Just to have to keep it clean and lubed is about all.

I also got the Bullet Feeder dies. Since I have all carbide dies for my pistol calibers, that should fill the stations (size/deprime in 1, bell the mouth in 2 and prime, powder in 3, bullet in 4 and seat/crimp in 5). Don't over think this too much and don't get locked into a mindset you can only do such and such at specific stations. Some stations do need to be specific functions, but others can be flexible. Also, you may find you want to mix/match brands of dies to improve the quality of your rounds. If you load lead, you'll want to think about adding an expander that works well with lead boolits. Powder through expansion is the way to go though, with the size of your powder measure dictated by the amount of powder used and the number of cartridges built at one time. A large powder measure and primer strips allows you to load a much larger volume of cartridges than a small powder measure and a tube primer system you have to refill tubes on. Strips can be added as you go very quickly.

Any tips before I get started?
1. Keep your APS strip primer feed system. 2. Start with the dies and what you have now, but think about adding new dies to improve things. 3. Buy used dies & powder measures and save money. 4. Make sure you have enough primers/powder/brass/boolits on hand to feed your progressive. Buy in bulk, cheaper that way. 5. Make sure to take the time to thoroughly go through your RCBS Pro 2000 and clean/adjust/lube it properly. Understand how each mechanism works. Learn to fine tune everything. 6. Understand that on a progressive, each die's adjustment can affect other dies and they all work together as the machine is operated, so adjust them in that light/realization. 7. If you have questions, ask here or pm me if it's machine specific.

Thanks folks.

Jim

Since I'm the only one who buys me Christmas presents, this is mine this year.

rpludwig
11-26-2014, 09:47 AM
+1 on Lockout Die!

seagiant
11-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi,
Wish I could find one at a good price just to play with her!

Jim_P
11-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Ahhhh, Maggie Q. I loved her as Nikita.