PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dot with reduced 9MM Loads

wv109323
11-25-2014, 05:52 PM
I have some Blue Dot that I need to use up due to its age.(about 30 y.o.). I would like to use it in some 9MM that I am going to be loading in the very near future. I am using a 125 RNFP cast boolit. The Lyman manual list a load from 5.9 to 8.0 gn. I tried 6.0gn. and it seemed to have a lot more recoil than I need to shoot USPSA. The manual says 6.0gn. is around 1000 FPS. I would like to try something around 750 FPS. Any one ever use Blue Dot with reduced loads? What was your load?

pjames32
11-25-2014, 08:46 PM
I also have some "older" blue dot and tried it in 45 ACP & 40 S&W. Our pistols did not like reduced loads. YMMV

tazman
11-25-2014, 10:46 PM
750fps with that weight boolit may not have enough energy to work the action on your pistol. You could always get a lighter recoil spring if it doesn't work right.
Blue dot loaded that light may not have enough pressure to seal the cartridge wall against the chamber sides. If this happens, things get very dirty very quickly(ask me how I know).

Ed_Shot
11-26-2014, 08:50 AM
I really like the Lee 356-125-2R over Blue Dot 5.8. Works fine in my CZ 75B and G22 w/LW conversion barrel. You might try working down till you get unreliable function but I doubt you get to 750 fps.

I don't have the Blue Dot 5.8 load chrony'd but the 356-125-2R over Blue Dot 6.0 gave me 1100 fps.

youngmman
11-26-2014, 09:37 AM
I don't know about the loads being discussed here but I have some Blue Dot that's older than 30 years and it works fine so I wouldn't just burn it up for that reason.

osteodoc08
11-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Blue dot likes charges in the upper end of the load range. If not, you'll be very dirty and your ES and SD will have more variance. Some powders do fine with reduced loads, I've never found BD to be one of those. I love it in my 357, 10mm and 45LC. They've warned against pressure spikes with light 357 bullets and actually pulled out of the 41mag load data all together. BD also gets squirrely as the temps drop.

Tackleberry41
11-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Blue dot is just a reduced load powder. It makes good hot loads so just save it for that. I have made 124gr cast reduced loads, but with other powders like universal or autocomp. I was trying to keep it subsonic out of a longer 10in barrel.

And you really are going to need to look into a chrony, book loads often do not end up that way in your gun. I bought a basic one for $100 one of my better investments.

sandman228
11-26-2014, 10:55 AM
I agree with the others a reduced charge of bluedot probably wont even work the slide on your 9mm . ive used 6.0 gr of bluedot under 124 gr cast for a while now and its worked fine in both of my rugers and any other 9mm ive shot it from . the only time ive reduced bluedot is with 115 gr fmj bullets . the lee manual calls for 8 gr ,I don't think 8 gr of bluedot will even fit in a 9mm case. its been a while I cant remember off the top of my head I reduced it to 7.0 or 7.5 gr .

John Boy
11-26-2014, 11:08 AM
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=9%20mm&Weight=125&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

theperfessor
11-26-2014, 11:48 AM
I use 6.8 to 7.0 BD in 9mm behind 124 gr and 133 gr cast bullets. My HiPower likes it, but it seems to be a fairly brisk load, cycles fine, no overpressure signs. Haven't run it over a chrony. Haven't tried it below 5.8 to 6.0 grs, there seems like there are better powders for lower velocity loads. Just my opinion.

charlie b
11-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Blue Dot is a finicky powder. It likes high density loads and higher power loads but has a nasty tendency to spike pressures with certain loads. It has a narrow 'window' where it likes to be. Just a grain too much and pressures spike horribly. A grain too little and pressures spike horribly.

I made the mistake of down loading .45LC with Blue Dot. I don't remember the load but it was near the 50% case capacity. Chronograph readings were bipolar, ie, one shot was 1500fps and the next was 800fps. The higher vel was accompanied by all the signs of very high pressure. Flattened primer and hard to extract cases. Yes, it was because the primer was 'exposed' to the empty space in the case. Tilt the gun up and it worked fine. Tilt it down and it was bad.

But, I use Blue Dot for my .357 and .45ACP 'heavy' loads and it works very well. Reserve it for those kinds of loads and you'll be fine.

If you want reduced loads in your 9mm then go to a different powder.

wv109323
11-26-2014, 04:00 PM
It seems unanimous. I will find another application for the Blue Dot. I have several other powders that can be used. I just have a partial pound of several powders that I have tried over the years. I was just trying to eliminate some of the older stuff and consolidate my powder supply.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-26-2014, 04:28 PM
It seems unanimous. I will find another application for the Blue Dot. I have several other powders that can be used. I just have a partial pound of several powders that I have tried over the years. I was just trying to eliminate some of the older stuff and consolidate my powder supply.
I know others have used it, and like it in 9mm, but I am leary of that application.
I think BD shines with heavier boolits and larger calibers. It is my GOTO powder for 44 Mag with 240gr/250gr weight boolits and "standard" power loads...I break out the H110 for top-end loads.