PDA

View Full Version : 45 Caliber Taper Crimp Question

Lefty Red
11-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Ok, I have a friend that wants me to load up some Hornady 45LC swaggered bullets for his Cattleman. And since he has 400 rounds and I will just have to shoot in to make sure everything works and is POA, I jumped on it! I have wanted a Cattleman for awhile and to be able to shoot on and build up a load for it is worth chugging through the winter weather!

But they require a taper crimp. Both sets of my dies (RCBS and Lee) only have a profile/roll crimp. After looking around online, all I can find is the profile/roll crimp die for a 45LC from Lyman, Redding and RCBS. I do find a taper crimp for the 45ACP, 45GAP, 45Auto Rim, 45 Magnum from them. So I was thinking, do companies just make one 45 caliber taper crimp die for all the 45 calibers? Does the 45ACP taper crimp die work for the 45LC as well? Yes, I saw Lee's taper crimp die but would rather have a RCBS or Redding or Lyman for a few dollars more.

Jerry

GRUMPA
11-25-2014, 03:09 PM
I've used my 45Cal taper crimp for anything 45cal without problem 1 and it's the RCBS die. I really wouldn't expect you to have any issues.

wv109323
11-25-2014, 07:12 PM
I don't load 45LC but I don't think they require a taper crimp. Taper crimps are for auto's that headspace on the case mouth. The 45LC as with nearly all revolvers headspace on the case rim. As long as the bullet doesn't move under recoil and you do not over work the brass ( by belling and then crimping) I don't think there is a problem with the roll crimp. As mentioned you may use a 45 ACP taper crimp.

GBertolet
11-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Roll crimps are better for revolvers. Taper crimps are normally for auto's. Roll crimps are designed to keep bullets from backing out from recoil. Taper crimps are designed to keep the bullets from being pushed in during the feeding cycle. Go with the roll crimp for your application.

Lefty Red
11-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Thank you gentlemen, for the replies. But the bullets that I am loading for my friend requires a taper crimp not a roll crimp. They are there swaggered pure lead bullets, #12458.

I will buy with confidence then. Thanks again.
Jerry

5Shot
11-25-2014, 09:27 PM
There's no crimp groove on a swaged bullet. Roll crimp may not work. You could also see if you can get a Lee Collet Type crimp die.

Lefty Red
11-26-2014, 07:42 AM
There's no crimp groove on a swaged bullet. Roll crimp may not work. You could also see if you can get a Lee Collet Type crimp die.

I was thinking about one of those, but was afraid of digging into the soft bullet too much.
I heard they are for heavy loads.
Jerry

Char-Gar
11-26-2014, 12:14 PM
1. Those bullets are "swaged" and not "swaggered".

2. A Redding Profile Crimp die will do what you want if properly adjusted.

3. Any decent 45 ACP Taper Crimp die will also work if adjusted up for the longer 45 Colt case.

4. Avoid the use of Lee dies wherever possible.

seagiant
11-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Avoid the use of Lee dies wherever possible.

Hi,
Oh boy! Here we go!:popcorn:

UNIQUEDOT
11-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Get the Hornady cowboy seater/crimp die. It comes with a taper crimp sleeve and it works well with .454 dia. Boolits. If you swing for the complete cowboy die set it also comes with proper expanders for .452 and .454 boolits.

Lefty Red
11-29-2014, 05:32 AM
1. Those bullets are "swaged" and not "swaggered".

2. A Redding Profile Crimp die will do what you want if properly adjusted.

3. Any decent 45 ACP Taper Crimp die will also work if adjusted up for the longer 45 Colt case.

4. Avoid the use of Lee dies wherever possible.

Yes Sir. :)

Lefty Red
11-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Get the Hornady cowboy seater/crimp die. It comes with a taper crimp sleeve and it works well with .454 dia. Boolits. If you swing for the complete cowboy die set it also comes with proper expanders for .452 and .454 boolits.

I knew RCBS had the Cowboy Series, didn't know about Hornady. I will look into that.
I did get the RCBS taper crimp for the 45 and 44.

r1kk1
11-29-2014, 01:02 PM
I use a taper crimp die in tons of stuff. Ordered one in 500 Linebaugh. CH4D carries quite a few in different calibers.

327 Federal Magum
44s
45s
rifles

take care

r1kk1

williamwaco
11-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi,
Oh boy! Here we go!:popcorn:

Char-Gar + 1:castmine:

DougGuy
11-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Unless you are loading some hot rod loads, I wouldn't recommend the collet crimp die with a dead soft boolit. Sure it will crimp where there is no crimp groove, but the soft boolit with standard pressure loads may not be able to fully open the crimp when fired.

prs
11-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Char-Gar and other Lee haters, what is wrong with Lee dies? I have RCBS, Lyman, and Lee dies. No problems with any of them. I do not like the Carbide Factory Crimp dies, or at least I do not like them for our lead boolits, but that is not to day the die is "bad", just the concept sucks.

prs

Lefty Red
11-30-2014, 02:40 AM
Char-Gar and other Lee haters, what is wrong with Lee dies? I have RCBS, Lyman, and Lee dies. No problems with any of them. I do not like the Carbide Factory Crimp dies, or at least I do not like them for our lead boolits, but that is not to day the die is "bad", just the concept sucks.

prs

Not a Lee hater, but my membership in the fan club is not going to be renewed. And I started off with Lee and still have allot of their products. But the quality is so inconsistent that it's not worth the headache. I have slowly swapped Amanda purchased other brands and find them to be better for not much more. I had to send five of the last six molds (all different calibers and sizes) I purchased from Lee. That is $8 more dollars per mold. And $8 per mold that should have been given back but wasn't. Lee's CS smirked when I suggested it.

Jerry

wrench man
11-30-2014, 02:59 AM
If the boolits are that soft I'd think that the roll crimp backed off some would be ok?
I have three sets of LEE dies, one seems ok, one I haven't used yet? and the third has me wanting to take the sizing die to work and stick it in the 100 TON press and see how well it holds up to the ram coming down on it while I do a hardy belly laugh!

str8wal
11-30-2014, 11:37 AM
If the expander is correct for the boolit diameter, or vice versa, there should be sufficient neck tension to hold for lighter loads. Back off the roll crimp so it just removes the flare without digging into the slug.

Char-Gar
11-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Char-Gar and other Lee haters, what is wrong with Lee dies? I have RCBS, Lyman, and Lee dies. No problems with any of them.

I am not a Lee hater, I am just not a Lee user. After 55 years of reloading and having purchased and used allot of reloading equipment, some of which is Lee, I don't fine the purchase of Lee stuff to be a good use of my reloading dollar. I don't buy the cheapest stuff unless it is the best stuff, which is seldom the case. I still have allot of my original equipment that has had over a half century of regular use. I don't buy reloading equipment that will wear out, break or needs to be upgraded in my lifetime.

r1kk1
11-30-2014, 06:25 PM

prs

Lee die bodies are short. I can catch a thread or go without a locknut on their bullet sizers in a LNL bushing. The other alternative is to nut the bottom of the die. Not a good solution with LNL bushings or with the bushing in my Champion press. I have one set of Lee dies in 7.62 x 54r. I pace the nuts on the bottom of the toolhead on a different press.

I have owned every Lee press minus the CC series and their progressives. I've spent my time on the phone and shipped them back minus the hand press. I have three of those. I've had moulds that were sent back, custom order side stayed. Perfect Powder measure gone, etc.

i don't hate Lee. They honor their 30-day money back guarantee if directly purchased from them.

Their die selection is pretty limited compared to CH4D, RCBS/Huntingtons, Redding and even Lyman. I'm having a 500 Linebaugh made so my choices for dies are CH4D, Hornady or RCBS.

PRS,

Lee doesn't have a press of any kind or powder measure that will retire anything I own. Does that make me a hater or someone who has owned and found better? To each his own but it would be nice if their dies are a tad longer and a better selection. If I get a rough die, trust me, I will raise hell and get my money back.

I like my JDS QuickMeasure and RCBS ChargeMaster. Both are extremely accurate and repeatable. I like all four of my single stages and not one alike. Two of them monsters and two for more refine work I guess.

take care

r1kk1

prs
11-30-2014, 11:28 PM
R1KKr and Char-Gar;

Thanks for the information. I can understand dies failing the test if not dimensionally correct or if the threads are boogered-up. Wearing-out a die has not occurred for me, yet; but I have only been reloading metallic since 1995, shot shells much longer. All of my originally purchased stuff is still operational in A#1 shape except for an inertial bullet pulling "hammer" with cracked case and a Lee an older 20# bottom pour lead pot that needs a new spout control frame and pintel after ha ving been dropped. I have no blue tools, may have to try that flavor one of these days.

I am surprised to hear that Lee dies are still too short for LNL and Dillon, I thought they corrected that oversight.

prs

r1kk1
12-01-2014, 10:33 PM
PRS

I started loading shotshell in 1970 helping my uncle by punching wads for his 10 gauge double. He was of that generation who thought a 12 gauge was a ladies gun. He also had a very old 8 gauge. He loaded Blackpowder for the 8 and smokeless for the 10. If I remeber right, those were 2-⅞" hulls not the current 3-½" hulls. He gave a Ponsness Warren 375 press with a 10 gauge toolhead as well as a 12/20 gauge toolhead. The 10 gauge toolhead gathered dust until I bought an SP10. I bought another toolhead with 16 gauge and 28 gauge setup and finally added my last toolhead with .410 for my daughters shotgun. I've owned MEC's but the P/W stayed!

i use to own two blue presses but traded one for a San Diego Lubrisizer. My only complaint is I wish I couLd use my favorite lockring brand but can only fit two with two Dillons. I have played with the LNL and that press really impressed me. If I was in the market for a five station progressive, I'm leaning towards the LNL even though ive had blue since the mid 80s.

Dave at CH4D is big on taper crimp dies! I have on for a 44 mag that works very well under heavy loads. I love taper crimp dies and the Lee rifle FCD is a damn good die. Custom order side has quite a few limitations for me.

I've been loading metallics since the mid 70s while in high school. My first cartridge was grandfathers 8mm-06. My first pistol was a BH in 44 mag when I finally was old enough to buy one. I love the 45acp and my wife's custom revolver has a cylinder for 45acp/super. Such a great an easy cartridge to load and a hoot to shoot in a revolver!

take care

r1kk1