PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Trimmer Problem

pt4u2nv
11-25-2014, 06:17 AM
Have about 400 cases to trim to length for 357 Herrett. My process is cut within about .005"-.010" of length with Harbor Freight Mini cutoff saw and then place in Lyman Case Trimmer to get to correct size. Issue is I am getting a burr on the inside of the case when trimming and it causes the pilot to catch upon release from trimming and pulls the pilot off in the case every time I try to pull it out to remove case from the chuck. I then have to use vice grips to pull the pilot from inside the case and reattach it to the cutter every case . I have tried to chamfer the case on the ID to help to no avail. The only way it stops doing this is if I cut very little then back pilot out to break the burr then go in again and do this several times to break the burr every rotation of the cutter. This will take forever to do this at this rate.......any suggestions ?

CastingFool
11-25-2014, 07:15 AM
Sounds to me like your trimmer needs to be resharpened.

Calamity Jake
11-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Yap a sharp cutter and take smaller cuts, also cramming the cutter in hard causes it to roll a large burr
inside the case mouth.

Mk42gunner
11-25-2014, 01:54 PM
In addition, I have found that a small amount of lube on the pilot helps a lot when trimming cases.

Robert

salpal48
11-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Sharpen the trimmer and purchase an extra

pt4u2nv
11-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Sharpen the trimmer and purchase an extra

Actually I did just that. New cutter and bought a spare. Still picking up a burr on inside edge. As I said I am taking very small cuts and pulling the cutter out of case every couple turns taking very little off each cut. I tried using my M die to open the case a little more prior to cut and that helped a little. I will try the lube and see what happens.

georgerkahn
11-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Not "seeing" what you are doing to better (for me) hopefully shed some light towards a solution to your challenger, I'd wonder the possible affect from the H F Mini-saw? If, perhaps, you were taking the cases out of round a tad, they'd crimp/clamp a bit on the mandrel. I had a similar problem: I tried "other" non trimmed brass to find no hanging, determining I had created the challenge. A friend has a Wilson trimmer, and I tried that... now I own (and only use) the Wilson! The case is pressed into a Wilson-made case holder, and the cutter trims squarely and uniformly without any burrs or hangups. I've 'been there done that' with the sticking cases (also on a Redding trimmer) and KNOW how tiring a process it seems. Best wishes for a solution!
georgerkahn

country gent
11-25-2014, 08:46 PM
It is very possible the chip load at hand turned speeds is way to high causing the burrs. Lighten the hand / push pressure some and cut a little easier. I also had this issue when I did .357 herret cases. I borrowed a forester base and trimmer for a drill press and it allowed much Higher rpms and the burr went away. I used a file and trim die to get close and then trimmed the cases to finish length in the drill press. A sharp cutter and light feed pressure should cure the issue. antoher little trick I have seen done is to form a light cutter on the back edge of the pilot with a file and sharpen with a stone. This supposedly allows the pilot to cut its way thru the burr on the way out. I do use a dry lube on case mouths when trimming also to ease force needed to turn and cut.

pt4u2nv
11-26-2014, 06:09 AM
OK came up with a somewhat acceptable solution.....I think. I left the pilot off and set my adjustment to get me within .001" or so then installed the pilot to get the last .001" ( or so ) and it worked great. I did have to cut the burr on the inside off prior to the last cut but it was still a lot less frustrating then pulling the pilot out of the case with pliers every case. The pilot missing on initial cut did not seem to effect the squareness at all since the final cut seemed to remedy any inconsistences that it might have created.