PDA

View Full Version : SA M1A Identification

Ilwil
11-25-2014, 03:54 AM
A while back, I bought what I believe to be an unfired, standard model SA M1A from a friend who had acquired it from the widow of his friend. I decided with all my other interests, it might be a "bridge too far" for me, and that I would sell it. My friend told me recently, that his deceased friend tended to buy deluxe guns, and that my "standard" might really be an enhanced model, worth more. Can anyone show me how I would tell? I didn't get box and papers with it. The gun was made in 91 or 92, has a walnut stock, and all the metal is blued. My thanks for any help.

lefty o
11-25-2014, 04:33 AM
there's standard normal plain jane models, loaded, and then NM, and supermatch, nm and supermatch rifles will be glass bedded. loaded will look just like a standard,but has a reamed flash hider, a med weight nm barrel which is stamped nm so its easy to find, and the rear sight is modified, which oyu can see by turning the rifle upside down and looking under the sight adjustment knobs for a small detent ball added. if oyur gun was made in 91 or 92, it probably still has a lot of USGI parts in it, which some people will pay a premium for, but not all will.

timspawn
11-25-2014, 03:48 PM
A call to SA will tell you what you want to know. Just give them the serial number. They will tell you the model number and the month/year it was shipped.

country gent
11-25-2014, 04:15 PM
National Match and super match also normally had full heavy barrels. And they had the heavy stocks also. Stocks were bedded and on supermatch gas systems unitized. Flash hiders were opened up / reamed. They also had tuned trigger groups. I believe super match had a lugged reciever. Some had a diffrent guide rod for the spring also.Springfield armory should be able to tell what it is from serial number and decription. Thier great people to deal with.

DCM
11-26-2014, 08:09 PM
A call to SA will tell you what you want to know. Just give them the serial number. They will tell you the model number and the month/year it was shipped.

Big +1
NM had "medium" barrels (usually Douglas) Super Match came with a Heavy barrel, Usually Douglas if cro-moly Hart or Krieger if Stainless. The Harts' were more common.
The Super Match does have a rear lugged receiver. The NM & SM will both have a hooded rear sight with 1/2 Min. windage adjustments.