PDA

View Full Version : Eleven Cavity Mold ???

FromTheWoods
11-23-2014, 11:25 PM
I found this mold at a Used Everything store a few years ago. It is heavy and just too cool to let it collect dust at the store.
I haven't learned how to use it yet, but thought you people might know what it is and where it came from. The only writing on it is an "H P" stamp.
Measured the cavities at .327 or so.

(First attempt at posting photos on the forum. Date stamp on photos is a day ahead--Camera was made overseas I think. Haven't figured yet how to change it.)

mattw
11-23-2014, 11:34 PM
That is so cool, looks to be in fantastic condition.

GSM
11-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Impressive.

Are there any markings on the edge of the top sprue plate?

The top of hinge bolt looks a bit similar to some of the Ideal gang molds.

Looks like the bottom plate may have been added or modified at a later date - bolts have Class markings.

It looks like it will make your bicep spasm if you use it for a while. Will make a bunch of bullets, though. Cavities look very clean.

FromTheWoods
11-24-2014, 01:31 AM
There are no identification marks, numbers, letters. Looked it over with a magnifying glass on all faces of the metal.

dikman
11-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Bit of a monster! Wonder why someone would make an eleven cavity mold?

Dan Cash
11-24-2014, 08:12 AM
I bet that is a bullet making son of a gun. What caliber? Looks like .45. Could have been a military mould used by reserve component or even active duty to produce practice ammo. Why 11 bullets? Could have to do with the qualification course of fire.

William Yanda
11-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Bit of a monster! Wonder why someone would make an eleven cavity mold?

Because 12 wouldn't fit.

Ben
11-24-2014, 08:23 AM
FromTheWoods (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?1200-FromTheWoods)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

If you measurements are accurate, it may be for an 8 mm rifle.

However, I have never seen a large armory type mold like this for 8 mm ? ?

Wayne Smith
11-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Bet they had them in Germany!

historicfirearms
11-24-2014, 09:20 AM

It might also be for the 32-40.

Fishman
11-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Super cool! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a loverin design, maybe that would offer a clue.

Ben
11-24-2014, 11:02 AM
FromTheWoods

Would be nice if you could cast a few and give us more accurate measurements.

Ben

Mk42gunner
11-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I think I would have to cast a few with that just to do it.

Then of course, you would have a coffee can full of boolits you would have to buy a rifle for...

Good news is it may work for a standard 8x57, may not.

Robert

FromTheWoods
11-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Last night I began watching videos on bullet casting. Next week, if possible, I'll get a few samples from the mold.

I hope it is for the .32-40. My family has three of those and four .32 Specials. Only problem with that is, Dan at Bull Shop is filling an order of .323 boolits that will see me to my grave and beyond. It's the question of the chicken or the egg--this time, the eggs/boolits are coming in the mail prior to me dropping them from the chicken/mold. At least we finally get a concrete answer to which came first!

As soon as I can play with that mold, I'll get the specs and photos for you.

Best case scenario would be if it didn't drop boolits for rifles we have--then it would be as you said, Robert, time to add a new caliber to our arsenal. Whoopee!

dikman
11-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Because 12 wouldn't fit.

Now why didn't I think of that? :lol:

MT Chambers
11-24-2014, 07:28 PM
That mold is way to heavy, luckily for you I am licensed to recycle old molds that are of no use, just ship it to me postage paid.

dragon813gt
11-24-2014, 07:45 PM
I don't think that will fit under my Lee pot :(

paul h
11-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Best case scenario would be if it didn't drop boolits for rifles we have--then it would be as you said, Robert, time to add a new caliber to our arsenal. Whoopee!

Classic win win situation!

Thanks for sharing photos of the molds, it's always nice to get a chance to see some of the amazing machine work from the days of old.

I have a feeling anybody that used that mold regularly could challenge a blacksmith to arm wrestling.

FromTheWoods
11-24-2014, 11:47 PM
No recycling yet! Though, thank you for your generous offer. I'll watch a few Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea, and John Wayne movies. Then, I'll just Man Up!

In three months, if you spot a fellow around town who has an arm like a lobster on the left, and the right arm like a crawdad, say "Hey!"--that fellow would be me.

roadie
11-25-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm thinking it's for a 32-40. With the initials H.P., possibly it's a Pope style mold? Does it close up tight with no gaps?

FromTheWoods
11-25-2014, 01:10 AM
Looks as if it is tight. The H and P have no periods after them. Those letters are on the arm/shaft of a handle.

dikman
11-25-2014, 04:31 AM
I didn't realise that Hewlett-Packard were into mold making too..... [smilie=1:.

Mk42gunner
11-25-2014, 01:44 PM
I didn't realise that Hewlett-Packard were into mold making too..... [smilie=1:.

They can't be, I never get spam from them about new molds.

Robert

NavyVet1959
11-25-2014, 01:56 PM
I haven't learned how to use it yet, but thought you people might know what it is and where it came from.

From the discoloration on the bottom edge of the first picture, it looks like maybe you hit that on a table to cut the sprue after after the lead has solidified.

FromTheWoods
11-25-2014, 03:40 PM
I've not used it yet. There are a few places that appear to be copper-colored welds--to mend the mold. (Mold vs. Mould--read last night that "mould" was what the contraption is called, but the dictionary says "mould" is the British spelling. As with toward/towards, color/colour. We Damn Yankees spoil everything!)

skeettx
11-25-2014, 05:20 PM
What you have may be an Ideal Armory Mold
But also looks like an early H&G mold
Mike

FromTheWoods
11-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Couldn't avoid it; had to make a few to measure. .323 x .942 and 181.7 grains. Measured the front band for the .323.

I'll look at the Ideal Armory and the H&G molds. A quick peek has the H&G shipping from Murphy, Oregon. Could be the town is named after some of my relations. Many Murphy relatives live down in southern and southeastern Oregon.
If it helps, I purchased the mold in Redmond, OR.

texassako
11-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Just a thought. Ideal listed designs as being for the 32-40 High Power, and yours is marked HP with about the right size and weight.

Ben
11-25-2014, 11:31 PM
I think you may have just nailed it !

FromTheWoods
11-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Could the "H P" be Hensley & Peerless?

Mk42gunner
11-26-2014, 05:27 PM
That looks like a very good boolit for either hunting or paper punching, to me. I am guessing here, but I think it was probably meant for the .32-40, not the .32 WS.

How did the mold cast?

Robert

FromTheWoods
11-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Prior to making a handful (held after they cooled) of these slugs, I'd only cast round balls for muzzle loading--single cavity mold. Today's reading on casting methods told me I used the wrong type of ladle and poured improperly. It was successful in that fairly uniform diameters and weights came of it, but my end of the process was flawed. The mold seems plenty tight in all cavities and all the mechanics were good. I need to learn the proper pour, correct temperature of lead and mold, reasons for tapping when and where on the mold/handles, and everything else! One chamber-half didn't want to release the slug. Don't know why. All others readily let go.

Next will be learning what to do after I have a pile of good bullets. Sizing? Lube?

We know how to reload and to shoot, and shoot, and shoot, so those aspects are taken care of.