PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Winny 94 rear sight question.

osteodoc08
11-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Friend offered me a Winny 94 in 30/30 for $250. Typical issues for this vintage, mostly with the finish. A little surface rust that can be removed with steel wool. Barrel is sharp and bright, but the rear sight is a V notch instead of typical semi buckhorn. Is this factory or an aftermarket set up. Didn't really care for it, but for $250, can make it work. Typical ramped setup but a V notch instead of semi buckhorn.

Thoughts?

TXGunNut
11-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Does sound a bit odd, I have a 1969 vintage and can dig out the rear sight for a photo comparison if you'd like. As my presbyopia advances the semi-buckhorn is quickly becoming my least favorite iron sight anyway. If it doesn't work for you consider the Marble Bullseye rear sight to replace the V-notch sight. If the receiver has surface rust I'd leave it alone, on the barrel or other places some 0000 steel wool and oil will clean up and stop the rust. It is probably D&T'd for a receiver sight so you have options available.
Oh, by the way, if it's mechanically sound...BUY IT!

Scharfschuetze
11-24-2014, 12:07 AM
I don't think that I've ever seen a factory Model 94 with the sight that you describe. The factory sights that I know of for the Model 94 (other than some carbine and military versions) have always been a bead front with the semi-buckhorn rear sight with a half round notch optimized for the bead front sight.

Can you post a photo?

Here's the factory sight that I'm familiar with:

osteodoc08
11-24-2014, 12:45 AM
I won't be able to have a look at it until Tuesday. It's definitely a V and not remotely like a semi buckhorn. It is mechanically sound, but is definitely what I'd class as a fair item. Definitely something I wouldn't mind sliding around the back of my pickup and I'm usually very protective of all my firearms. I may just buy it, tap out the rear sight with a plastic hammer and put a blank in followed by a Lyman peep. I had a beautiful pre64 I sold to someone here when times were tough this time last year. Miss that gun.

jlchucker
11-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Scharf, that's the factory 94 sight I've seen on all post-64 (top eject version) M94's, right up to and including some of the earlier angle eject models. My pre-64 flatband carbine has a sight that's similar, but not quite identical, and that's a factory sight too. I don't know what the later angle eject models (the ones with that atrocious push-thru safety, and later, shotgun-styled safety behind the hammer) have for a rear factory sight. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same. Winchester didn't manufacture these sights--they were a purchased part, bought from a local supplier in the New Haven CT area. Probably Lyman, or before that, Ideal--made to Winchester drawings.

Scharfschuetze
11-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Interesting Jl. I assumed that Winchester made their own sights.

Murphy
11-24-2014, 09:36 PM
osteodoc08, I purchased a Winchester 94 ~Classic~ with the same sight you are speaking about. I have seen several over the years on Gunbroker with the same sight. I'm not crazy about it by any means and felt it was an aftermarket replacement.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=446414798

30calflash
11-25-2014, 02:49 PM
That looks something like a Marlin sight, stamped sheetmetal. The Marlin has more of a U notch IIRC.

Butler Ford
11-25-2014, 05:41 PM
The two screw adjustable "buckhorn" is missing. I have two just like that and a third has all the parts. Replace it with a decent sight and live happily ever after.

BF

Butler Ford
11-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Look on the back side of this sight, what would be left if you loosened the two screws and took the buckhorn part off is what he is describing.

BF

I don't think that I've ever seen a factory Model 94 with the sight that you describe. The factory sights that I know of for the Model 94 (other than some carbine and military versions) have always been a bead front with the semi-buckhorn rear sight with a half round notch optimized for the bead front sight.

Can you post a photo?

Here's the factory sight that I'm familiar with:

Geezer in NH
11-25-2014, 06:19 PM
At $250 don't worry about the sight. If the bore is good it's a good buy Put a receiver sight and take of the rear barrel sight and replace it with a 2-3 buck blank. Just my HO it is NOT a collectable,

osteodoc08
11-27-2014, 11:09 PM
The sight that Murphy pointed out is the same one (thank you).

I haven't had the chance to jump on that one yet, but the wife keeps asking what I want for Christmas (she's out shopping now)......I was thinking a Marlin GBL or 1894 in 44 mag. Don't have a 44 mag. Only 357,41,45. Love the look of the GBL. I may pick up the Winny with some rat hole money I've got squirreled away.

olafhardt
11-28-2014, 11:01 AM
The receiver is.actually plated semi stainless steel. It is the plating that corrodes. Just sand the heck out of it and you will have a beautiful matt finished, corrosion resistant receiver. I engine turn mine and they are show stoppers. I like to take out the screws and pins so that they stay blue and set off the receiver. I also use this chance to stone the action and loosen the barrel and detail clean the guts. You can put in a softer mainspring. To me you wind up with a gun superior to the pre 64 and one that gets a lot of favorable remarks. I read that the birch is actually stronger and more dense than walnut and better for service.
Quick model 94 trigger job: Cock the gun, holding the barrel mash the gun's hammer hard on a table top. Holding the pressure, pull the trigger. Repeat 10 or so times. This burnishes the surfaces. I won't go through floating the magazine tube. You can find better articles by googling "accurizing model 94 winchester".