PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Handle Question

PBSmith
11-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I've got several Lyman handles, all for single cavity blocks from the time when they made different handles for single and double cavity blocks.

Recently I purchased a used double cavity mold for .358 wadcutter pistol. The blocks install OK in the old single cavity handles and seem to pivot and close freely. Is there going to be a problem in using these mismatched blocks/handles? I'd rather not have to buy a new set of handles, which I understand are now designed to handle single- and double-cavity blocks.

Adk Mike
11-23-2014, 08:29 PM
A nice investment for me was a set of RCBS mold handles. Very handy to have and they fit Lyman and my custom molds.

georgerkahn
11-23-2014, 08:31 PM
My guess is they will be OK -- the proof of the pudding will be to cast with them. An interesting (perhaps) note is I purchased a 4-cav H&G mould some years back for way more money than I had to spend, and when it came the blocks did NOT totally go together. It took a few hours -- I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer -- but I tried flipping the moulds (or handles, dependent upon how you look at it) and voila -- they not only closed perfectly, but this is now one of my most favorite mould sets! If they were mine, I'd be gentle with them, and give 'em a try with the handles you have. And -- perhaps flip 'em if needed...
BEST!
georgerkahn

catskinner
11-23-2014, 11:22 PM
PB, I have filed the Lyman single cavity handles so they would fit double cavity molds. Perhaps that was done to your handles before you got them.

TXGunNut
11-24-2014, 12:12 AM
I only have one set of Lyman handles and they are pretty pitiful. I'll be better off when I give up on them and move on. The hinge bolt is stripped, will be a possible project someday...or not.

Wayne Smith
11-24-2014, 08:56 AM
I only have one set of Lyman handles and they are pretty pitiful. I'll be better off when I give up on them and move on. The hinge bolt is stripped, will be a possible project someday...or not.

How does one do that?? Ron (BrassMagnet) and I each have a set that are too tight to work, they are tight no matter what I put in them to try to loosen them up. Iwoiuld love to know if I, with my very limited metal tooling, can get them apart.

Mk42gunner
11-24-2014, 02:04 PM
If it has a bolt in the hinge, it has already been worked on by somebody. All of my Lyman SC and DC handles are riveted together.

There was a post (it may be in the stickies) several years ago detailing how to tighten and loosen rivet in the hinge joint to adjust it. IIRC it involves a big hammer and judicious blows, some times backed by an anvil or vise.

Robert

TXGunNut
11-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Hmmm...looked like a bolt to me. Too tired to go look, sorry.