PDA

View Full Version : A Bisley, 2 boolits, and a button buck.

Thumbcocker
11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Got this guy the morning of the 21st. I missed a bigger buck right at daylight, think I hit a twig but it was a clean miss. I saw this "doe" out in a weed field at a lasered 108 yards. Too far. Tried a couple of grunts and got an ear twitch. Tried a very faint rattle and the "doe" came my way. First shot was a bit high at about 45-50 yards. I was up a tree on a hill above the "doe". Second shot was 30 yards an a good solid hit. I watched "her" drop. If you look at the pics you can see the holes are lined up about 6" apart. Field dressing revealed a button buck. Good freezer meat. Load was 429421 hp cast of 50-50 acww and lead pipe over 22 grains of H110. Remington brass and Russian primers.

The story of the Bisley:

When we got engaged in 1990 Mrs. Thumbcocker got me this gun as an engagement present. I taught me about .44's and handloading. Once in a moment of weakness I traded it for a Marlin .44 lever. Fortunately the dealer let me buy it back. It will never be traded or sold. I have put a Bowen rear sight and a .45 colt front sight on it so that I have lots of adjustment for 300 grain boolits. I put on a belt mountain Keith style base pin for the Elmer cool factor. It shoots very well has no tight spot and a smooth action form lots of shooting and dry fire.

A story about the Bisley:

About 20 or so years ago when Illinois had a handgun only season in late January I was hunting on a friends land. I was one of three people with permission to hunt there. I had written permission on a laminated card in my pocket and a key to the gate. I got these things by being friends with the owner, helping with a little wood cutting, and sharing squirrels (cleaned), morrells, and venison I got from the property with the owner.

On this January day the high was 11 degrees. I had parked out by the main road and walked in. I had seen no deer but a flock of turkeys had bugged me. I was wearing most of my hunting clothes and had a set of coveralls over all of them. I was able to zip the Bisley inside the coveralls and it wouldn't move. I took it out a few times and could see heat waves coming off the barrel.

The Land owner had leased the back corner of the property to a local radio station for a tower location. The equipment was housed in a baby barn. I was walking out to the road 1/2 mile. I was cold, deer less, and wearing a face mask. The manager of the radio station pulled up in a tricked out F150. I waved but he stopped and cracked the power window about 1/2" and wanted to chat. Did I mention it was 11 degrees? Through the window I could feel the warmth I hoped to soon experience. I noted that the little yuppy was wearing tasseled loafers, a designer shirt, designer coat, and granny style wire rimmed glasses.

The truck occupant asked if I knew whose land I was on. I told him I did and that I had written permission in my pocket. He decides that we need to discuss things more. From the heated comfort of the truck he comments on the quality of the property. I said yes it was nice and there was good hunting there. He commented that hunting season was over. I said no; handgun deer season is in. He said "really that's kind of silly isn't it?" I asked what was silly. He said " Der hunting with handguns." I replied not at all. Then I said "see this is what I use" as I unzipped my coveralls and pulled out the Bisley. It should be noted that The weapon was pointed upward and away from everyone and my finger was on the frame above the trigger guard. what happened next was interesting. I saw his eyeballs bounce off the granny glasses and I think I saw part of the truck seat disappear. He decided that he needed to check the transmitter immediately.

A few days later after I warmed up and checked my socks for missing toes; I called the landowner and told him about the visit I had in the woods. He laughed for a good two minutes. apparently the gentleman had called him and told him about encountering some guy in a face mask who had a HUGE pistol. The landowner never missed a beat and said "probably just one of my friends." I guess he enjoyed my hunt even if I didn't see any deer.

butch2570
11-23-2014, 09:18 PM
You should have ask if you get in and further the conversation, after resecuring your piece, and watched his eyeballs then ... LOL... good story.

John Allen
11-23-2014, 09:35 PM
I am surprised you did not get a bill for new underwear from the guy.

fastdadio
11-23-2014, 11:46 PM
I went through several .44 handguns before I setteled in on the Bisley. No other magnum feels so right in my hand. I have taken several deer with mine and wouldn't even consider selling it...ever. Did I mention I love my Bisley? Good job and hope you get many more.

paul s
11-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Nice shooting and great story!

pls1911
11-26-2014, 11:13 AM
City kids in the country are always good for a hoot, especially when grand and all-knowing proclamations about things they know nothing about are "abruptly" dispelled. (i.e. your little gun with the BIG hole)
I had a similar experience when a 27 year old kid told me "that 12 gauge bird gun won't do much damage"....
My reply was this: "Your head is about the same size as that fresh green and steamin' cow pie, right?"
He sez "YEP!"
I sez: "Wind is in our face, and a bit left to right, right?"
He sez "Of course any fool can see that!"
I Sez: "Of course, so you know I'm right handed and shooting so you don't stand too close, right?... Say about 10 feet to the right"
He Sez emphatically: "Yes, I know!!"

BOOM..SHHHHHwwshhh.
Language reflecting new learning experiences hence forth flowed freely as the green vapor cloud of intelligence settled about his shoulders....and his truck.

Among expletives, he sez: "*** you do that for?"
A bit of country common sense:
"Don't Bull$heit a Bull$heitter when you're standing downwind from a green cloud of Bull$sheit waiting to be vaporized by a 12 gauge.... in careless hands it does the same to heads"
Son in laws need to be broke in easy you know...
Cleaning the bullsheit from the old spare Mossberg was actually fun.
You see, that old gun has been dusted with green clouds quite a few times over the years, and always giggles along with me while getting a good scrubbing.

Thanks for sharing.
And contact wounds from any 12 gauge are truely grisly.

Thumbcocker
11-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Pls1911; there are many roads to enlightenment.