PDA

View Full Version : Strange deer

DLCTEX
11-23-2014, 07:39 PM
We have been visited by a small six point buck today that wants in the house and has no fear of humans or dogs. He has chased my daughter-in law aroun a tree and tried to mount anyone he can. He has eaten apples under my trees and lies in the flower beds to rest. The German Shepherds don't scare him inches away on the other side of the fence. It obviously was raised by someone and is now a danger to anyone. I just learned he has been at the neighbor's house and has been at a house several miles notheast. It's a shame to put it down but I have a number of grandkids visiting and I don't want them hurt. I would turn the dogs on him, but don't want to encourage deer chasing. The bleeding hearts on facebook don't want it hurt, but no one feels strongly enough to come get him.

Cowpoke
11-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Sounds like he needs to come up missing.

bdicki
11-23-2014, 07:54 PM
He must have wandered off.

hiram1
sss is all it takes

starmac
Not sure why it would get on facebook, or any other way for a bleeding heart to ever know about it. This sounds like a nrrdy candidate for something I heard of called the three s's.

bdicki
11-23-2014, 08:01 PM
sss is all it takes

That should be SBS, shoot, barbeque, shut up

DLCTEX
11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
We have shared pics and comments on FB in hopes someone would claim him and come take it away.

freebullet
11-23-2014, 08:13 PM
My view is, if he tried to mount your family you should mount him...on the grill and wall.

JSnover
11-23-2014, 08:37 PM
I would turn the dogs on him, but don't want to encourage deer chasing.
Not to mention unbelievably cruel. Being chased to the point of collapse and then eaten by dogs is a horrendous way to die.
Just shoot it.

smokeywolf
11-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Those 6 points and the lack of fear, plus actions he's already demonstrated make him a credible threat to you and your family. If you can, get some pics of his somewhat aggressive behavior, then defend your family. Then, get the freezer paper out.

smokeywolf

ShooterAZ
11-23-2014, 09:01 PM
We had one like that not too long ago. You could grab his antlers and he would just push back, but not aggressive and not mounting people. Somehow he wound up getting into the Flagstaff mall and got injured and had to be euthanized. He was just a friendly Mule Deer buck.

snowwolfe
11-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Shoot the damn thing and eat it.

Bored1
11-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Smells like deer jerky to me.

Honestly I'm suprised he's still walking after trying to mount anyone. Around here that would get you shot waaaay quicker than messin with apples.

dragon813gt
11-23-2014, 10:18 PM
This is where a bow and night come into play. I would have no problems using one of my tags on it. No one would be the wiser if it's done under the cover of darkness.

leeggen
11-23-2014, 10:19 PM
They don't have to be raised by peopls to act like this. Just living in a neighbor hood and becoming acustom to the way of life, people feeding it and such is all it takes. Call the game officer and tell him they will remove it. Don't forget it is rut season and some women atrack males at certain times. His way of life needs to change. You didn't say how many in your neighbor hood but it doesn't really matter. No one will come forward and claim it, it is a wild animal gone domesticated. Either you all remove it (quitely) or call the WO. (wildlife officer) Posting it on facebook only calls in the bleeding hearts, they have no idea what this animal is capable of doing, much less do they care.
CD

Love Life
11-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Why must people post everything to facefail?

Kill it and eat it, or spray with a boatload of orange bear mace.

MaryB
11-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Deer have killed people during the rut so if it was in my yard it would get nicknamed freezer because that is where it would be living...

DLCTEX
Wildlife won't deal with it, but if I shoot it after dark or fail to use my buck tag on the small deer, he will write me a ticket.

GhostHawk
I knew a woman who raised a fawn one spring. After a year it started getting independent but it would come back from time to time.

Then one day a few years later the deer shows up carrying 6 points, it was eating in her garden. She tried to shoo it away with a broom and it charged, put tines into her chest. She made it to the phone, called for help but was dead by the time an ambulance showed up.

I have to admit given that your problem deer was most likely raised by a human someplace I would probably have a problem killing it. At least I give it a dusting of 71/2 shot from 60 yards to encourage it to go elsewhere. If that doesn't get the message across then yes, end it.

It is sad, but when animals lose their fear of man they can become very very dangerous.

TXGunNut
11-23-2014, 11:17 PM
A young buck with no fear of humans could indeed be dangerous. If the game folks decline to dispose of it then it's a matter of defending your family and neighbors. I doubt a court will see it that way, I'm sure bunnyhuggers think it would be nice to have a young, agreesive buck hanging around. Can't help you on the tag situation. I suspect it would be best if it didn't wind up in your freezer.
I can tell you on good authority that no one hears a single shot in the wee hours of the morning, bow might be better if it goes down very quickly.

bubba.50
11-24-2014, 12:17 AM
i'd invite him in for supper:-o.

wlc
11-24-2014, 01:01 AM
To be honest, and not crass, I'd have done shot it. .22 right at the base of the ear. DRT, quiet, and no one the wiser. Dress it and put it in the freezer and keep your mouth shut. Should have never been put on facebook regardless of circumstance. I wouldn't have cared if it was bambi from the local petting zoo if it had shown aggression like it already has it would be DEAD.

TXGunNut
11-24-2014, 01:05 AM
At this point if you feel you can't get it in the freezer safely then shoot it and dump it beside a busy highway. Nobody will do a necropsy on a roadkill deer.

starmac
11-24-2014, 01:18 AM
WLC nailed it, exactly what I would have done, but since it has been on facebook, I would now call the game dept and hope they take care of it before it hurts someone. If they do anything, it will most likely be to kill it. I would not give it a load of birdshot hopeing that it becomes someone elses problem. I would almost bet that the penalty for wounding it with birdshot would be as bad as if it somehow made it's way into your freezer.

waksupi
11-24-2014, 02:38 AM
If the F&G are giving you the run around, call the local sheriff's department and tell them what the F&G have said. Maybe a deputy will come out and deal with the problem.

Moonie
11-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Deer kill more people every year than any other animal, and it isn't all from car accidents. BBQ, invite the neighbors...

300savage
11-24-2014, 09:47 AM
He is dangerous and should be put down.
Scaring him away while easy enough to do actually is akin to tossing a rattlesnake into your neighbors yard. How would you feel to find out later he gored a child somewhere else?
Too bad you already spoke with a game officer because now if he is found dead they will instantly suspect you.Or if simply missing they may want to investigate you and if you have a freezer of meat your going to at least have to try to lie yourself out of trouble .Which just aint right when you are simply trying to do what should be done.
Get some video footage of his behavior now in case you later decide to put him down as proof for your defense if needed in court.
Or if you would like, i have a good friend who is in charge of all law enforcement in texas parks who might have an answer, or know someone who could do something.
Let me know if you want me to give him a call.

osteodoc08
11-24-2014, 01:39 PM
I agree with the others. The deer needs to go and needs to go before something happens to your family. How it goes is up to you, but I wouldnt tolerate any aggressive behaviour out of any animal when it comes to the safety of my family.

montana_charlie
11-24-2014, 02:02 PM
We have shared pics and comments on FB in hopes someone would claim him and come take it away.
Your second mistake ...

rosewood
11-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah, the 7 1/2 shot might work, or possibly a BB gun. Got to make it fear humans. Else take it after dark and tell no one.

beagle
11-24-2014, 02:22 PM
A mysterious "drive-by shooting" with a whisper load will work. If somebody complains, report it to FWL. If not, make jerky. Needs to go though with it's behavior. Sooner or later it will hurt someone./beagle

dakotashooter2
11-24-2014, 02:51 PM
If your deer season is open there must be someone around that would be willing to take him. Sounds like a good buck for a first timer............

pmer
11-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Wildlife won't deal with it, but if I shoot it after dark or fail to use my buck tag on the small deer, he will write me a ticket.

If it is still hunting season have your wife buy a license. Take care of the problem deer on the up and up. And use your tag for old mossy horns.

DLCTEX
11-24-2014, 05:17 PM
I have been unable to post the pictures from my phone. The directions I have found take me nowhere. I see no "image hosting" drop down panel. "Bucky" seems to have an aversion to close proximity gun fire. He took his leave and headed south.

starmac
11-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Ah, went to hurt someone elses kids huh.

Gator 45/70
11-24-2014, 05:30 PM
I think a Cajun showed up in your neighborhood, Deer problem solved!

MaryB
11-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Often a call to the sheriff can score a tag for a nuisance animal allowing you to take it. Did that about 10 years ago with a doe that was hanging by the school. She had head butted a half dozen of the kids and liked to spend the night in my yard. Sheriff gave me the go ahead to kill her so I did. He dropped off the tag and I butchered her and into the freezer.

pmer
11-24-2014, 11:18 PM
I wonder if it would chase its own tail if you dumped some "happy trail # 5" doe in heat buck lure on his rear end..

DLCTEX
11-25-2014, 11:57 PM
I have a great-grandson visiting who would have happily put his tag on "Buckey", but as the man said, never name something you may have to eat. He did take a nice doe this evening, so he is somewhat mollified that Buckey was given a pass. The way Buckey was headed he will pose no danger to anyone for many miles.As a nice six point at 1 1/2 years of age he has a good chance of having a nice rack if he ever grows up.

fairview
11-26-2014, 12:25 AM
I volunteer to provide free pest control. Live in TX also.