PDA

View Full Version : How to remove cylinder locking pin BP 1851

Atlast357
11-23-2014, 07:26 PM
My gun is a Pietta 1851 Navy in .36 cal. This was built in 1978 according to letters AD stamp code on
the frame.
The cylinder base pin is in need of replacement. Looks like the lock pin is stacked from bottom of threads
at a slight angel. Being this age I'm thinking the hardness of the pin might be dificult to drill out in order
to back out the base pin.
Any ideas on how to best remove it ? The frame is case harded steel.

pietro
11-23-2014, 08:47 PM

IDK what you mean by "stacked from the bottom of the threads", or what a "lock pin" is, but do know that C&B revolvers don't have a cylinder base pin like SA cartridge revolvers - they have an "arbor", some of which screw/thread into the frame at the center of the recoil shield, some of which are pressed/pinned in place, and are used to hold an open top revolver's barrel to the frame.

Bent Ramrod
11-23-2014, 09:59 PM
I think Atlast means "staked."

I've had to remove a couple in the process of tightening up cylinder arbors.The one on the ASM Walker was threaded in and a small hole drilled in the center and an Ezy Out took care of that one. The one on the Pietta .36 Navy was unthreaded, and was drilled out enough so that turning the arbor slightly crushed the thin metal that was left and most of it could be pulled out with needlenose pliers.

The stake I removed on my loose .36 Navy on went in straight, maybe 5/16" deep. The hardening of the frames on Piettas and ASMs is none too deep and the stakes were soft as a nail.

Atlast357
11-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks. I fiqured the staked lock pin would be soft.My Pietta arbor is threaded, it broke off and 1/2 remains in the
drilled hole in recoil shield.