PDA

View Full Version : 35 Remington with Saeco #352 using Leverevolution

264 Win Mag
11-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Been reading through the threads about heavy boolits in the 35 Remington and was wondering if someone had tried Leverevolution in this cartridge. Read somewhere that this powder was supposed to be good when using heavy for caliber boolits. First thought was to acquire a Marlin 336ER for heavier boolits but since they all seem to be going for north of $1000 I figured I would try the Saeco #352 in my 35 Remington. Anybody able to point me in the right direction and get me started?

Thomas

TXGunNut
11-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I've been dabbling with LVR under a couple of boolits but I'm not familiar with the Saeco 352 and my search function seems to be upset with me lately.
I do believe LVR in a 30-30 does better with heavier boolits but not sure if the same is true of the 35 Remington. What does the 352 weigh? Check Larry Gibson's threads on the subject, lots of good info there.

264 Win Mag
11-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Saeco #352 weighs in the neighborhood of 245 grs. I have a supply of another boolit in that weight class and was having some initial success with H4895 but wanted to try Leverevolution with them.

Thomas

MT Chambers
11-23-2014, 05:46 PM
That bullet is absolutely the best in my '94ae .356 Win......hands down

TXGunNut
11-23-2014, 11:45 PM
H4895 seems to be one of those powders that generally works pretty well in a wide variety of cartridges and boolits, exceptionally well in others. In my experience LVR is not as good-natured but may be just the ticket with that boolit in the 35 Remington. If I can get my 35 Rem 336 (Scopekiller) to settle down and quit breaking scopes I have a heavier boolit that was showing some promise before a certain scope gave it up.
Where's Larry? Would like his input on this. I think Thomas may be onto something.

starmac
11-24-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't think Larrys thread touched on the 35 rem. I am watching this though because of interest in picking up a 35, and I picked up several pounds of leverrevolution. For over a year it was the only powder (besides 50bmg) that stayed on the shelf long enough to get more than a 2 pound limit.

35remington
11-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I've used it extensively, and it's probably the best powder available for the 220 Speer in the 35 Remington. I would suggest starting at around 38 grains and working up from there. Likely this will produce decent velocity at relatively low working pressures.

Just to see what was possible.....I loaded and fired a single case 42 times with enough LVR to push the deeply seated 200 FTX at just over 2200 fps. The case is not yet ready for its second trimming, and all indications point to low pressure at decent velocity. I believe you'll find the same.

When the bullet you mention is seated so it functions through the action, does the base of the bullet protrude below the case neck to any appreciable degree?

264 Win Mag
11-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Lubed and gas checked, the samples I have measure 1.336 in length. The base of the boolit will protrude below the case neck but not too badly in my opinion, but I am willing to defer to the experts on this. MT Chambers says it's a good one in his 356 Winchester so it may not be the best for the 35 Remington. Just figured I might be able to make it work with Leverevolution powder by getting around the case capacity issues that exist with such a heavy boolit and the other powders.

Thomas

35remington
11-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Since you missed it........I'll repeat it. It is excellent for what you envision. I thought I made that more clear. On rereading my post......I did.

264 Win Mag
11-24-2014, 07:39 PM
I did jump right over your first paragraph didn't I! [emoji15]
Well my plan is to try your suggestion of 38 grs and see how things look. If it groups decently I will continue working with it. My supply of this boolit is limited so I will have to decide how to proceed shortly.

Thomas

35remington
11-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Keep a close eye on the amount of case stretch per shot. Neck size to isolate this variable to pressure alone rather than sizing. Load a single case repeatedly on the range as I did if possible. This tells much about relative pressures.

JFE
11-25-2014, 08:23 PM
I use this bullet in my 35 Rem and it seems designed with this cartridge in mind. The GC sits below the neck line but the grease groove is contained within the neck. Only issue is the front driving band kisses the rifling and I secure with Lee FCD. FWIW I use a discontinued Aussie made ADI powder AR2206 (3% faster than H-4895) and it produces around 1900 fps in my Marlin. Wish we had access to some of your powders here though.

264 Win Mag
11-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Glad to hear you are having success with this boolit in the 35 Rem. I have had some initial success with heavier boolits in the this round using H4895. I am hoping Leverevolution powder will work out even better.

Thomas