PDA

View Full Version : The 55's Vernier Scale

daboone
11-23-2014, 09:14 AM
I figure you masters of smithing must have some method to solve this problem. My eyes ain't what they used to be. The Lee Perfect vernier scale is easy to read the Lyman 55's is not.

Is it possible to permanently highlight or darken the marking of the 55's vernier scale? I've tried permanent markers and white out but it just rubs off when removing the excess.

country gent
11-23-2014, 09:41 AM
We used paint to fill in scales and ID numbers at work apply it in the lines and with a tightly wrapped patch or rag wioe it down sometimes a pencil eraser was used. Heres the issue with doing this, machine engravd is ussyally deep enought to hold paint or darkening agent. Etched scales are to shallow to hold any filler normally and have to be deppened with a scribe or sharp point carefully. A good carbide pointed scribe with hand pressure can deppen these to .003-.005 making a line paint will sit into. Use a guide for the scribe and follow the lines from inside of part to edge, MAke 3-4 passes at each this will deepen the lines and clean them to help paint to stick. Get a good scribe from a tool supply shop. he ones ussually sold at hardware stores are to broad of a point. An Awl can also be used but is harder to hold onto.

daboone
11-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Thank You Country Gent.:-) I have a good scribe. By using a thin strip of aluminum which took the curve of the slide and made scribing easier as the guide. This method of yours did the job very well.:D

williamwaco
11-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Be sure to degrease it before applying any color.

daboone
11-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Be sure do degrease it before applying any color.

Any suggestion for adding color?

williamwaco
11-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Any suggestion for adding color?

I have had good luck with acrylic paint.

http://www.amazon.com/Plaid-PROMOABI-Acrylic-2-Ounce-Selling/dp/B00ATJSD8I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416762638&sr=8-2&keywords=acrylic+paint

You can get individual bottles at most hobby stores.

daboone
11-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks William I've got some in the shed.
FYI I frequently refer your site to others. Heck I frequented it myself.;)

doc1876
11-25-2014, 09:50 PM
you might give Dykum a try. it is for coloring metals prior to using a lathe.

country gent
11-25-2014, 11:00 PM
We made some vernieers on gages and the gages themselves had to be IDed. We would grind a scribe point for the mill and cut graduations .001 at a pass. GagesHad to be engraved as to print number Part number and check performed, This we did just pout of professelism or craftsmanship. The vernieers were almost impossiblle to read with out being inked in. It dosnt take long to do and gives a finished look to the parts. When we got the cnc mills engraving became so much easier.

williamwaco
11-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks William I've got some in the shed.
FYI I frequently refer your site to others. Heck I frequented it myself.;)

Thanks for that

Steven Dzupin
12-01-2014, 05:52 AM
Search Google for a product called "Lacquer Stik".

Used this stuff for years when highlighting any engraving that needed it.

Comes in many colors and is quite easy to use.

Just remember to clean and degrease the engraving first.

Regards,

Steve

Char-Gar
12-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Use finger nail enamel to fill the marks and when dry, remove the excess with fine emery paper (600 grit or finer) held flat against the surface by a flat hard object like a file. Use your color of choice.