PDA

View Full Version : Ruger trigger option; Single stage vs. Standard

Animal
11-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Hey folks. I'm looking to purchase a 10/22 that will be used by family and for hunting small game from time to time. I am not real familiar with Rugers trigger options, but the two rifles I've narrowed it down to have the different triggers; standard or single stage. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea about what each trigger option is good for. Reliability is #1, accuracy is #2. I don't forsee 100 yard shots were I live, but up to 75 is a strong possibility.
My son wants to go camping in the spring, and I'd like to tote this 10/22 along so that we can "live off the land" :eek: (sure hope I can pull this off). In a nutshell, I hope to use this rifle to put some good food on the campfire.

PS. there is a great deal of information about aftermarket triggers (that cost more than the rifle), but not much information about the stock trigger options. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks

lefty o
11-23-2014, 02:27 AM
the factory 10/22 trigger is classic ruger- heavy. lots of good low cost options to make it better. you can rework the hammer and sear oyurself, or buy a drop in volquartsen/powercustom hammer and have a decent trigger, or pay someone to work it for you. the really nice expensive triggers like the kidd are great, but not really needed. a pretty good trigger can be put in one of these rifles for under $35.

Animal
11-23-2014, 09:49 AM
In the meantime, before I (or if I) decide on whether to upgrade any parts of the rifle I'd like to understand what my choices are between the 10/22.

The 1256 has a "standard" trigger and the 1151 has a "single stage" trigger.
My guess is that the Standard trigger is much like the trigger on automatic miltary style triggers... light trigger travel toward the sear, then a few (or more) pounds of pressure to break.

I'm thinking the Single stage trigger is like typical bolt gun... the play is either non existent or very little until the sear breaks.

I just don't know enough to make an educated decision. Thanks

lefty o
11-23-2014, 03:03 PM
unless they've come up with something new, factory 10/22 triggers are single stage. if you want a 2 stage, you pretty much have to go with a Kidd trigger, and thats expensive.

Petrol & Powder
11-23-2014, 06:53 PM
I've done my share of time with the 10/22 and I don't recall ever seeing a factory trigger that wasn't a single stage trigger. Out of the box they work but can be easily improved. Lefty o hit the nail on the head, aftermarket parts or some careful work on the factory unit can make a big difference. I'd pick the rifle you want, chances are very good they all have the same trigger out of the box. It sounds like a little marketing talk made its way into the descriptions of those two guns.

In the FWIW category, 75 YARDS (225 feet) is not impossible for a .22 rimfire but that's getting out there for small game and a .22 rimfire.
Out of all of the .22 semi-auto rifles available, the Ruger 10/22 is by far my favorite. The design is simple, rugged and fairly accurate. The 10/22 is one of the most reliable semi-auto rimfire rifles I've encountered with the Remington Nylon 66, Marlin model 60 and the Browning .22 being real close seconds place contenders. The Ruger barrel is removable without special tools and can be replaced with after market barrels, but frankly the factory barrel is fine for most applications. The trigger group is easily removed and the unit is very dependable. the same is true for the factory 10 round rotary magazines. They are solid little rifles and will give decades of good service.
Like all .22 rimfire guns, they will usually shoot one brand/lot of ammunition better than others. It pays to try several types of ammo and carefully evaluate them to find the best one for your rifle. When you do, stock up on that type and if possible, the same lot number
I can also highly recommend a fixed power scope around 4 power for that use.
Good Luck !

Animal
11-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Okay, I'm glad for all the different post. I think, as you (Petrol&powder) suspected, the vender was trying use a play on words to advertise the rifle. It didn't make sense that they would have two different trigger options for the same rifle in the same "carbine" category.
I downloaded the 10/22 manual, it didn't mention anything about optional factory triggers. Thanks folks, looks like I've made my decision :)

Petrol & Powder
11-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Those two models appear to be identical except for the stainless barrel on the 1256 model. They're great guns, I think you'll be happy with either.

country gent
11-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Check with several spring makers sometimes after market springs are available with lighter return springs and other slight changes to the hammer spring to lighten trigger pulls. Also keep in mind with use the trigger may smooth up some and get a little better I wouldnt do alot untill 500-1000 rds have been fired thru it.

Animal
11-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks folks. Looks like the rifle is going to have to wait till closer toward spring. The truck needs tires. Sheesh. If it ain't one thing, its another.

Petrol & Powder
11-26-2014, 12:55 PM
I hear ya! Tires can break the bank these days.
If you run across a used 10/22 that looks OK and the price is right I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. The barrels are easily replaced so even if it's been abused you can fix one without too much effort & money. Just keep an eye on the total price and never pay too much.

Good Luck

nicholst55
11-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I would suggest going to Rimfire Central (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php) and perusing their 10-22 section. There are a lot of tweaks and simple modifications that can be performed to enhance the 10-22.

Markbo
11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
I have built 14 or 15 10/22s. Most of them I do my own trigger work. If you are at all handy, just a little patient and have just a few hand tools you can read up some stickies on RFC & do your own. Its actually not hard - just a little tedious.

If not you can spend $100 for a Kidd kit that you can swap into your trigger group. OR you can send your TG to Brimstone & for $35 get a great trigger back in the 3 - 3.5# range. He has 2 other classes (more $) for lighter pulls. A heckuva bargain for a good trigger upgrade. FWIW the Kidd replacemenf trigger is as good a trigger as I have ever shot in any gun. They're spendy BUT on sale right now for $199.

Frankly that is a lot of money on a factory gun/barrel. I can tell you how to get remarkable accuracy from a stock barrel too when you're ready. :wink: