PDA

View Full Version : Mec universal charge bar

Mauser48
11-22-2014, 10:49 PM
I have decided im going to get a mec sizemaster in 12 gauge. Im planning on loading mostly trap loads and some buckshot and slugs here and there. I would also like to experiment with 7/8 ounce loads. Im wondering im the universal charge bar is worth it. How easy is it to use? Mainly i would like to know how accurate it is compared to bushings. To you guys think its worth it for what im doing? I also what to know how smooth it opperates. Any thoughts appreciated.

jsizemore
11-23-2014, 12:45 AM
If your going to change loads regularly then it's worth it. Even if you use bushings you need to verify that they drop accurately with the powder and shot your using. You might have to line the bushing with tape, cardboard, plastic, etc to get the desired weight to drop. I use a piece of pex pipe cut to the right length to change my 1-1/8 shot bushing to 7/8.

pjames32
11-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Well worth it in my experience!

Budzilla 19
11-23-2014, 01:53 AM
Over the past 30 plus years of shotshell reloading, I can honestly say that the universal charge bar was one of the best ideas to come along! Once you learn the ways to handle it, you will NEVER go back to bushings in a MEC loader ever! Not a bad idea at all.FYI, when you get your loads right, write your settings down in a note book so to cut down on trial and error to find your settings. Good luck!

Cmm_3940
11-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Is there more than one manufacturer of these? The ones I see on the shelf at Cabelas look like a really shoddy quality. The gradiations on the knobs are marked on a sticker that is already starting to peel off inside the factory packaging. I'd like to have a universal charge bar for my 600jr if there's a good one out there.

jeo22
11-23-2014, 08:09 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746153/multi-scale-universal-charge-bar-with-powder-baffle-model-c-cs-mec-single-stage-shotshell-loaders-600-jr-sizemaster?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Check this one out , I've used one for years with no problem.

lancem
11-23-2014, 11:59 AM
There are usually some on ebay, you need the type C for the regular loaders like the 600 jr. I have one in each of my Mecs and wouldn't go any other way.

MrWolf
11-23-2014, 02:23 PM
I never bothered with the bushings and have always used the universal. Works great for me.

beezapilot
11-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I have a universal- yours for the postage.
It is NOT set up for a progressive press
You'll need to either move the bar by hand back and forth OR pick up the additional hardware to make it work with an auto/ progressive press.

Merry Christmas.
Beez

HeavyMetal
11-23-2014, 05:32 PM
I've gone with both depending on what I am loading, for instance my 7/8's oz trap load is a bar and bushing set up but some hunting loads I switch to the universal for adjustments and experimenting.

The most useful tip I can give you: all bars or shot bushings are calibrated for 9 shot bigger shot size will mess with payload weight so double check which is why the universal charge bar works best for those applications.

Buy direct from the maker and pay the 43 bucks, ones I've seen on E bay are way to high, LOL.

By the way the universal's come with a powder baffle the single best improvment to a MEC machine you can make no matter what type bar you use!!

too many things
11-24-2014, 01:39 AM
get a new one, and use the black insert. there is a C and D . D is for progressive

Kilroy08
11-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Is there more than one manufacturer of these? The ones I see on the shelf at Cabelas look like a really shoddy quality. The gradiations on the knobs are marked on a sticker that is already starting to peel off inside the factory packaging. I'd like to have a universal charge bar for my 600jr if there's a good one out there.

That's why I just peeled them the rest of the way off and got out my calipers. Once I get the shot and powder weights set, I just measure how long the adjusted cavities are and make a note of it in my reloading journal. So far, I have no complaints about mine.

Walter Laich
11-24-2014, 03:28 PM
the bars look a bit rough but do the job. Go for it