PDA

View Full Version : AR Barrels

LUCKYDAWG13
11-22-2014, 09:07 PM
i'm getting parts for my first AR build. i have Anderson stripped lower & upper R-Guns stainless steel LPK TI-7
tactical buttstock kit buffer/tube spring. this will be for my son so i want quality parts where i need them like in
a good barrel and BCG. so can you point me to some good barrel makers
thanks

Dirtdgger
11-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Ar performance has some good barrels

LUCKYDAWG13
11-22-2014, 09:23 PM
i will give them a look thanks

pretzelxx
11-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Rock river arms has nice stuff, my opinion. All sorts if sizes, shapes and calibers

aspangler
11-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Try Classic Firearms in NC. They had some nice ones on sale today.

bruce drake
11-22-2014, 09:46 PM
What are the desired uses of the AR? If shooting Highpower matches, 20". If you are target shooting and varmint blasting, you could easily use the 16" carbine length barrels and be satisfied for many years. Rock River Arms is a great recommendation.

Jupiter7
11-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Palmetto state armory will be having a big Black Friday sale. I'd look at one of their chrome lined, cold hammer forged barrels made from the same steel used in the m249. They will also have good BCG's. Stay away from the stuff marked or named PTAC, it's their bargain brand stuff.

otherwise, ar15performance.com make excellent barrels

most rock river barrels are 4140 steel, not what I'd consider high quality for a rifle barrel. Their higher dollar stuff is ok.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-22-2014, 10:07 PM
What are the desired uses of the AR? If shooting Highpower matches, 20". If you are target shooting and varmint blasting, you could easily use the 16" carbine length barrels and be satisfied for many years. Rock River Arms is a great recommendation.
yes for the most part just for punching paper but this will be for my son's 16 birthday so i just like it to last

country gent
11-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Ussage is going to determine barrel more so than other.Is this going to be flat top or carry Handle. Flat tops dont have to conform to as tight of rules for compition. Service rifles need to be as issued externally. What dosnt show isnt checked. A flat top with a 24-26" barrel (twist depends on bullet you want to use) a quality handgaurd tube and adjustable gas block is a very accurate set up. For up to 80 grn bullets a 1-7 twist is pefered. As a carry handle ( service rifle) contoyr and length are specified by the riles if you might want to use it for service rifle in NRA or DCM matches. Here the 1-7 twist is required as 80 grn bullets are needed for 600 yds. A float tube under the handgaurds to keep sling off of barrel in sitting and prone. I used alot of Krieger Stainless barrels over the years 1-7 twist. Also had one match upper with a lilja on it. Other additions upgrades would be a giesele 1 stage adjustable trigger, or a jewel. on the service rifle 1/2 min adjustable sight. a front sight mount modified for 4 set screws instead of pins, allows sights to be set to mechaical zero on rear easily. On match rifle a fitted hand grip buttplate with length of pull hieght and cant adjustments along with an adjustable cheek piece. Muzzle tirned .812 for sight block and a good rear appeture sight or a scope.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-22-2014, 10:39 PM
will be scoped intended to be a starter rifle

freebullet
11-22-2014, 11:03 PM
I would go Krieger or dpms dependant on intended use. Krieger for comp/bullseye and dpms for plinking and hunting. Midway has had a couple drop in Krieger on clearance Fer 400-450$. Jse has dpms hbar 16" around 150 $. I've owned a bunch of dpms they have all been capable of holding 1 moa out to 300 yards with good ammo. I would stay away from psa barrels or any m4 barrels in general.

xacex
11-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Ar performance has some good barrels

Yes to this. I have been getting groups in the teens at 100 yards for five shots with one of their .264 LBC barrels.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-23-2014, 12:13 AM
is this a good barrel for the money https://rguns.net/shop/r-guns-16-5-56x45mm-heavy-barrel-19-twist/

xacex
11-23-2014, 02:26 AM
I would stay away from ordering a Rguns part from the company. They have a reputation of taking money without telling consumers of their long wait times on product they do not have on the shelf. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have not ordered from them myself, but do some research on that one before you send out your money.

Jupiter7
11-23-2014, 03:27 AM
I would stay away from ordering a Rguns part from the company. They have a reputation of taking money without telling consumers of their long wait times on product they do not have on the shelf. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have not ordered from them myself, but do some research on that one before you send out your money.

I have ordered from them. They delievered as promised, just 4 months after I wanted it. There's much better to be had.

MaryB
11-23-2014, 03:30 AM
I have a DEZ Arms barrel, my local gun dealer uses them exclusively in his custom AR builds. Mine is sub MOA at 100 yards so I am happy. And I managed a 500+ yard prairie dog hit with it this fall. http://www.shop.dezarms.com/

GabbyM
11-23-2014, 03:39 AM
I personally made a decision years ago to not buy anymore 5.56mm NATO chambered rifles. I still own one.
Last barrel I purchased was this fall. Is a Criterion purchased through Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-223-wylde-chrome-lined-barrels-prod54733.aspx?sku=100010531 (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-223-wylde-chrome-lined-barrels-prod54733.aspx?sku=100010531)
I got the 20 inch Hybrid contour with Wylde chamber. Greatest difference between the NATO and Wylde chamber is the throat diameter. NATO having around a .227” throat while the Wylde is a standard diameter. Wylde retains the extra headspace and shoulder diameter of the NATO case. Twist rate is 1:8” and it’s chrome lined. Criterion brags on there chrome lining as not deteriorating accuracy and at least the one I received attest to that in spades. It also cleans up great. No copper fouling even on the first time out with 150 rounds through it. I’ve always got copper out of my chrome plated Colt barrel.

As for barrel length. It’s a personal thing. However I truly can not tolerate the muzzle blast from a 16 inch 223. If you want a carbine / sub gun. I think a 9mm has a lot going for it as a blaster. But due to the popularity of the stubby barrels I must be in the minority. I suffer from tinnitus , ringing in the ears, at 90 decibels. Cant think of a quicker way to get this affliction that shooing short barrel 5.56mm rifles. Hearing loss totally sucks and what do you gain with a grease gun length barrel. Absolutely nothing.
Argh!!!

I screwed a 3 prong flash hider on the barrel because I think it looks truly awesome. I’ve shot it at night and barely notice the flash running WW748 I loaded up 29 years ago. As for blocking of the bottom vents like in an A2 hider. I live in Illinois where we wallow in mud. IN about five days I'll be shooting this new rifle in Arizona and still don't worry about dust ups.

Used a White Oaks Armaments Varmint free float tube front hand guard.
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17659&cat=286&page=1 (https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17659&cat=286&page=1)
Like this hand guard a lot. Have a screw on type tube on my bull barrel upper and the thing seams it may just break through it’s fine threads at the least bump. Plus it’s cockeyed. WOA hand guard screws down onto a mandrel barrel nut. Feels rock solid and you just tweak around on the six set screws until you get it lined up straight. Free float tubes add around a pound to the front end. But if you want to shoot with a bipod and tight sling, I use both together for shooting across fields, you need something to hang them on beside a barrel. That said I’ve always worked around that with a lose hold on my light barrel SP-1. I used a WOA match barrel gas block that saves a tad of weight over a M16 steel front sight. Gun hit’s the scale with 1x3 Weaver scope at 8.5 pounds empty.
One big hit to my wallet came when getting a decent trigger on this thing. AR’s are not a cheep rifle to shoot. SO just get that much established right now. I’ve in the past been able to get buy with military triggers in this type firearm. But never tried to get them to shoot sub MOA. I’ve also been around “hair trigger” AR-15’s and M16’s enough to see a few go full auto or just go bang all of a sudden from a bump. So I purchased a Geissele Automatics trigger. An SD-E model. Enhanced for a lighter final pull on the two stage. Straight trigger bow and a 1.2 lb final. First stage is just like taking up the slack in an auto pistol. If it were any lighter I’d not be able to control it. Very consistent and breaks the same every time. Just that you can barely feel the trigger. I did blow though it once yesterday in the cold. Today in warmer temps but high wind I didn’t’ but the step grandson did a few times. Standard model instead of the dash E would be easier to handle. But I like the 1.2 pound pull and would buy it again. Also like the straight trigger bow. For one it indicates to anyone that it’s no stock trigger and look out. Second it does make for a crisp break. It’s a lot of cash for a trigger. $235. But AR-15’s are not cheap to shoot and good safe functional triggers are not cheap to make for this platform. To close this paragraph I’ll say this. Never in my wildest drunken fantasy would I consider placing a rifle with this 1.2 pound trigger in the trunk of a police patrol car. US military does not issue any E models for combat arms. I love this trigger though. Has turned my AR’s from blasters to precision rifles. I’ll still never place a large scope or try to turn an AR-15 into a prairie dog shooting rifle. By large scope I mean over 14X.

I love this new upper. Weight is pretty much right. My 20 inch bull barrel upper is just to heavy to work off hand. Criterion Hybrid contour is quite a bit lighter than a match profile. I’m not shooting high end matches where an eighth inch matters. So far I’ve not noticed any heat up induced group runout with ten shot rapid fore groups. I do see it after eight shots with my heavy barrel varmint 223 bolt guns. But then I’m shooting 24X scopes and punching 3/8” holes form a hard bench. You do not get those kind of groups from a bipod or walking stick rested coyote rile out in the field. Then with a 3 to 8x scope you’ll never know anyways. I did shoot a ten shot one hole group at 100 yards the other day. Out of about 200 rounds so far. Not counting what the grand sons pumped through. So I guess this is a half MOA rifle with Hornady 55gr fmj-bt. Ye right. Ten shots too remember, lol,. Reality is it’s about a 2 inch gun with those Hornady fmj’s and the 3x scope. That’s just all the better any rifle will shoot those. Have some match grade ammo. But only had the rifle a couple weeks. Today our flag was standing straight out in a 20 mph cross wind to the range. Bullet drift at 200 yards was well over one foot. What I’m getting at is this. Criterion chrome barrel that I received will shoot as good as we can in a hunting position. I’ve personally placed over one hundred thousand rounds down range. Estimated. That will happen when you are 59 and start young. I cleaned this Criterion barrel this evening. Wet patches followed by two strokes of a brush one way. Then patches to clean then lube then dry patches. Shillen stainless barrels do not clean this easy. And this is after over a hundred rounds. Plus WW 748 is a dirty powder. I’d buy another one of these Criterion barrels in a heart beat. Actually been considering getting one of there light weight barrels from a different vendor to replace the barrel on my SP-1. Colt put a good barrel on it but I’ve about worn it out after forty years. Not to many manufactures out there with the guts to make a noodle barrel.

For a fun shooting rifle. A bolt gun chambered in 222 Remington topped with a 4x 12 x high end scope. Cast boolits at 2,350 fps.

I truly spend more time cleaning my AR-15's than I do shooting them. They and all autos are a pain to keep running compared to a bolt gun.

Jupiter7
11-23-2014, 03:43 AM
Personally ive found no use for 1/9 twist barrels. I prefer 1/8 or 1/7. Below is a quality barrel from a well know manufacurer in in the price range of the Rguns barrel. This barrel has a Melonite treatment(not coating) which has proven longer barrel life than chrome and excellent corrosion resistence.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Aero_Precision_16_M4_5_56_Barrel_1_7_Twist_p/aprh100030.htm

if you wanted to drop a tad more and get a mid-length gas system(highly reccommended), these have a great reputation for a little more money. this kind of bridges the gap between basic m4 and precision rifle. This particular one comes with the gas block, which whould usually set ya back another $30.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Odin_Works_16_223_Wylde_Barrel_Medium_Profile_p/b-223-16-ml.htm

dkf
11-23-2014, 06:53 AM
If you are going to scope the rifle might as well go with a more accurate barrel. I would go with either a White Oak 16"-20" 1-8 twist .223 Wylde barrel or a BCM 410 SS barrel. I would recommend going with either a mid length or rifle length gas system.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-M16-M4-Barrel-Assemblies-s/3.htm

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=250

For a BCG the Spikes Tactical BCG is the best for the money. They hold the tolerances tight (especially on the bolt) and are very good quality.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-23-2014, 10:01 AM
is this a good barrel for the money https://rguns.net/shop/r-guns-16-5-56x45mm-heavy-barrel-19-twist/

i asked about R-Guns just because they're on my way home from work so if i bought a barrel it would be FTF
Gabbym thanks for all the info and the rest of you too

MaryB
11-24-2014, 12:07 AM
16 to a 20 inch barrel adds weight and for some that make the gun harder to handle. I don't notice that big of a difference in muzzle blast between the two either. Why not use an AR on Pdogs? Works well and was a blast not having to work the bolt. And a lighter rifle meant easier carrying. I do use my own handloads for hunting, cheap blasting is fine for the range to just plink at targets.

I personally made a decision years ago to not buy anymore 5.56mm NATO chambered rifles. I still own one.
Last barrel I purchased was this fall. Is a Criterion purchased through Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-223-wylde-chrome-lined-barrels-prod54733.aspx?sku=100010531 (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-223-wylde-chrome-lined-barrels-prod54733.aspx?sku=100010531)
I got the 20 inch Hybrid contour with Wylde chamber. Greatest difference between the NATO and Wylde chamber is the throat diameter. NATO having around a .227” throat while the Wylde is a standard diameter. Wylde retains the extra headspace and shoulder diameter of the NATO case. Twist rate is 1:8” and it’s chrome lined. Criterion brags on there chrome lining as not deteriorating accuracy and at least the one I received attest to that in spades. It also cleans up great. No copper fouling even on the first time out with 150 rounds through it. I’ve always got copper out of my chrome plated Colt barrel.

As for barrel length. It’s a personal thing. However I truly can not tolerate the muzzle blast from a 16 inch 223. If you want a carbine / sub gun. I think a 9mm has a lot going for it as a blaster. But due to the popularity of the stubby barrels I must be in the minority. I suffer from tinnitus , ringing in the ears, at 90 decibels. Cant think of a quicker way to get this affliction that shooing short barrel 5.56mm rifles. Hearing loss totally sucks and what do you gain with a grease gun length barrel. Absolutely nothing.
Argh!!!

I screwed a 3 prong flash hider on the barrel because I think it looks truly awesome. I’ve shot it at night and barely notice the flash running WW748 I loaded up 29 years ago. As for blocking of the bottom vents like in an A2 hider. I live in Illinois where we wallow in mud. IN about five days I'll be shooting this new rifle in Arizona and still don't worry about dust ups.

Used a White Oaks Armaments Varmint free float tube front hand guard.
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17659&cat=286&page=1 (https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17659&cat=286&page=1)
Like this hand guard a lot. Have a screw on type tube on my bull barrel upper and the thing seams it may just break through it’s fine threads at the least bump. Plus it’s cockeyed. WOA hand guard screws down onto a mandrel barrel nut. Feels rock solid and you just tweak around on the six set screws until you get it lined up straight. Free float tubes add around a pound to the front end. But if you want to shoot with a bipod and tight sling, I use both together for shooting across fields, you need something to hang them on beside a barrel. That said I’ve always worked around that with a lose hold on my light barrel SP-1. I used a WOA match barrel gas block that saves a tad of weight over a M16 steel front sight. Gun hit’s the scale with 1x3 Weaver scope at 8.5 pounds empty.
One big hit to my wallet came when getting a decent trigger on this thing. AR’s are not a cheep rifle to shoot. SO just get that much established right now. I’ve in the past been able to get buy with military triggers in this type firearm. But never tried to get them to shoot sub MOA. I’ve also been around “hair trigger” AR-15’s and M16’s enough to see a few go full auto or just go bang all of a sudden from a bump. So I purchased a Geissele Automatics trigger. An SD-E model. Enhanced for a lighter final pull on the two stage. Straight trigger bow and a 1.2 lb final. First stage is just like taking up the slack in an auto pistol. If it were any lighter I’d not be able to control it. Very consistent and breaks the same every time. Just that you can barely feel the trigger. I did blow though it once yesterday in the cold. Today in warmer temps but high wind I didn’t’ but the step grandson did a few times. Standard model instead of the dash E would be easier to handle. But I like the 1.2 pound pull and would buy it again. Also like the straight trigger bow. For one it indicates to anyone that it’s no stock trigger and look out. Second it does make for a crisp break. It’s a lot of cash for a trigger. $235. But AR-15’s are not cheap to shoot and good safe functional triggers are not cheap to make for this platform. To close this paragraph I’ll say this. Never in my wildest drunken fantasy would I consider placing a rifle with this 1.2 pound trigger in the trunk of a police patrol car. US military does not issue any E models for combat arms. I love this trigger though. Has turned my AR’s from blasters to precision rifles. I’ll still never place a large scope or try to turn an AR-15 into a prairie dog shooting rifle. By large scope I mean over 14X.

I love this new upper. Weight is pretty much right. My 20 inch bull barrel upper is just to heavy to work off hand. Criterion Hybrid contour is quite a bit lighter than a match profile. I’m not shooting high end matches where an eighth inch matters. So far I’ve not noticed any heat up induced group runout with ten shot rapid fore groups. I do see it after eight shots with my heavy barrel varmint 223 bolt guns. But then I’m shooting 24X scopes and punching 3/8” holes form a hard bench. You do not get those kind of groups from a bipod or walking stick rested coyote rile out in the field. Then with a 3 to 8x scope you’ll never know anyways. I did shoot a ten shot one hole group at 100 yards the other day. Out of about 200 rounds so far. Not counting what the grand sons pumped through. So I guess this is a half MOA rifle with Hornady 55gr fmj-bt. Ye right. Ten shots too remember, lol,. Reality is it’s about a 2 inch gun with those Hornady fmj’s and the 3x scope. That’s just all the better any rifle will shoot those. Have some match grade ammo. But only had the rifle a couple weeks. Today our flag was standing straight out in a 20 mph cross wind to the range. Bullet drift at 200 yards was well over one foot. What I’m getting at is this. Criterion chrome barrel that I received will shoot as good as we can in a hunting position. I’ve personally placed over one hundred thousand rounds down range. Estimated. That will happen when you are 59 and start young. I cleaned this Criterion barrel this evening. Wet patches followed by two strokes of a brush one way. Then patches to clean then lube then dry patches. Shillen stainless barrels do not clean this easy. And this is after over a hundred rounds. Plus WW 748 is a dirty powder. I’d buy another one of these Criterion barrels in a heart beat. Actually been considering getting one of there light weight barrels from a different vendor to replace the barrel on my SP-1. Colt put a good barrel on it but I’ve about worn it out after forty years. Not to many manufactures out there with the guts to make a noodle barrel.

For a fun shooting rifle. A bolt gun chambered in 222 Remington topped with a 4x 12 x high end scope. Cast boolits at 2,350 fps.

I truly spend more time cleaning my AR-15's than I do shooting them. They and all autos are a pain to keep running compared to a bolt gun.

GabbyM
11-24-2014, 01:15 AM
16 to a 20 inch barrel adds weight and for some that make the gun harder to handle. I don't notice that big of a difference in muzzle blast between the two either. Why not use an AR on Pdogs? Works well and was a blast not having to work the bolt. And a lighter rifle meant easier carrying. I do use my own handloads for hunting, cheap blasting is fine for the range to just plink at targets.

Situation I have is that I've already got tinnitus pretty bad. Makes me more sensitive to muzzle blast. Plus I have a lightweight AR. It's a SP-1 with 20 inch barrel. Have a 4 OZ. 1.5 x 16mm ACOG mounted in the carry handle. About 7 lbs. with the scope.
Can still work a bayonet off it also. I get your point though. My daughters AR has a 16 inch lightweight profile barrel. I personally don't have a need or desire for a short barrel. So all I see is the down sides like reduced velocity.

TXGunNut
11-24-2014, 01:44 AM
Awesome write-up, GabbyM. If the slippery slope towards building an AR is too much for me I'll be in touch.

Huntsman52
11-24-2014, 09:50 AM
A great barrel is Rainer Arms select series. Have one in 300 Blackout. Sub 1" MOA at 100 yards with my reloads. Also Green Mountain has AR barrels of good quality. Rainer runs about $250. Green Mountain had a sale for $99 (not sure if still going on).

Bohica793
11-24-2014, 10:32 AM
A great barrel is Rainer Arms select series. Have one in 300 Blackout. Sub 1" MOA at 100 yards with my reloads. Also Green Mountain has AR barrels of good quality. Rainer runs about $250. Green Mountain had a sale for $99 (not sure if still going on).

I bought one of the $99 Green Mountains barrels (16" 1-7 chrome lined 5.56) for my AR build. Arrived 2 days after order, well packaged. It shoots 2" groups at 100 yds using a Vortex Strikefire red dot sight. Well worth the money and service was excellent.

davidheart
11-24-2014, 01:25 PM
I'd just make sure you're not picking too heavy of a barrel. The AR is a lightweight platform shooting a very small bullet. No use in getting a barrel so heavy he wouldn't want to use the gun. Stick with a Wylde chamber and 1:8 or 1:7 twist to stabilize heavier hunting bullets (read: 65gr gameking). 16-20 inch would only mean about 150fps. It's more about handling. If the buttstock will be heavy, get a longer barrel. If the buttstock is light, get a shorter barrel. (for the balance)

Check out Ballistics by the Inch for their research on the 223 and barrel lengths: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html

OuchHot!
11-24-2014, 05:06 PM
I also have been very impressed with the Criterion barrel from Brownells. I have been using Wylde chambers for years in match as well as social work guns and prefer it.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-24-2014, 07:49 PM
the more i look at this the more i like it https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17659&cat=286&page=1
starting to think i need to get one more stripped upper :bigsmyl2:

MaryB
11-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Difference in velocity isn't that much...

Situation I have is that I've already got tinnitus pretty bad. Makes me more sensitive to muzzle blast. Plus I have a lightweight AR. It's a SP-1 with 20 inch barrel. Have a 4 OZ. 1.5 x 16mm ACOG mounted in the carry handle. About 7 lbs. with the scope.
Can still work a bayonet off it also. I get your point though. My daughters AR has a 16 inch lightweight profile barrel. I personally don't have a need or desire for a short barrel. So all I see is the down sides like reduced velocity.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-26-2014, 10:21 PM
well i just pulled the trigger on a barrel thanks i went with the 1/7 twist i hope this will work with 55gr bullets
and up http://www.slickguns.com/product/advanced-armament-ar-15m16-16-556-nitride-barrel-1-7-11999