PDA

View Full Version : how much would you pay?

corey012778
02-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I am thinking of selling some of my ww ingots off, and maybe selling raw and/or ingots off for some extra money.

how much would you pay per lbs?

I am going to use a flat rate box.

Single Shot
02-12-2008, 11:49 AM
PM sent

Leftoverdj
02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Flat rate box will take 70 pounds. Figger 65 pounds to leave a safety margin. You can probably get $40 a box shipped from guys living where it is hard to get, but I'm stocked and still finding WW for a dime a pound or less.

hotwheelz
02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Seems like most places are selling for .55-.70 a lb. plus shipping. I saw a post where one guy made a wood frame that fit in a flat rate box and he said he could get 50-60lbs in on flate rate box. I think he was using some 1" pine bords off of some scrap pallets. Good luck let me know what you decide on price and I may get some from you.

HEAD0001
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Use the USPS 8-1/2X11 flat rate box. I glue the bottom shut, then glue a piece of OSB to the bottom of the box. You can get two rows of 1# ingots in the box. This will ship 50-60#. Put a second piece of OSB on top of the lead. Fill the entire box with styrofoam peanuts(including in between the ingots). Tape the heck out of the box-and ship. The box will hold together as long as the lead can not slide around. Tom.

mroliver77
02-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I am thinking of selling some of my ww ingots off, and maybe selling raw and/or ingots off for some extra money.

how much would you pay per lbs?

I am going to use a flat rate box.

I thought we brought him up right and now he is selling his WW. :(
J

corey012778
02-13-2008, 12:44 AM
I am not,

talk to my wife about it, she told me no. :confused:

I played the money game with her. it was playing with the idea. I got hard times a coming.

mroliver77
02-13-2008, 01:42 AM
I hate to hear that Corey. I have had some very hard times the past few years. I had to let some guns go and hated it. No more unless I am starving. I look for the lead situation to worsen in the future so I hang on to all I get. My little "shop" and shootin keeps me sane :)
Sounds like you have a good wife.:)
J

corey012778
02-13-2008, 02:01 AM
I am hoping to get to the range here in a little while myself. I am hoping sat. the first day I am going to get in the next week.
tomarrow rain
thurs. my wife is off
fri. I think she is off then too
sat. rain early morning
sun. rain, snow, and the Daytona 500 :drinks:

but the temps will not allow me to get out side to cast.

yarro
02-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Pure lead (not from wheel weights) goes for a little over a dollar a pound in 50 lb lots on ebay. Linotype goes for more. Wheel weights go for about 0.90 /pound.

-Yarro

Blackhawk Convertable
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
What yarro said. Most eBay auctions end up right around a buck a pound and the buyer pays the shipping on top of that.

compass will
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I have the same question, but figured I would ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I am heading out this after noon to pickup a couple buckets of wheel weights. What should I offer for a 5 gallon drywall size bucket full? I realize I have competition. The guy told me "most people who take them weigh them and pay me accordingly". He also said they have been giving him abound 25% more for batteries lately so it sounds like he has an idea what they are worth. Since I am just starting out, I hate to make an offer and pay more then they are worth :roll:

I just called the scrap yard, he is paying 37c per pound, now if I could figure out what a drywall bucket full weights I will be able to come up with an idea.

mold maker
02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
It'll weigh more than the bucket or your back will stand. Take several empties with you to half the weight. While you transfer, throw out all the lugnuts and trash. (unless it's brass or alu.)

Crash_Corrigan
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I have been forced to pay 20 to 30 bucks a bucket hereabouts recently.

For sure bring a couple of buckets and sort out the crap onto the floor and keep only what you can use. A soda pop can or two in the bucket can really short you along with the assorted tire wrappers, valve stems, lugnuts and cigarette butts.

When the bucket is half full of clean ww's weigh it on a bathroom scale (keep in trunk) and pay the man what they are worth. Just keep in mind that for you to buy boolits you are going to have to pay at least .04 per bullet and only if you buy them by the thousands. If you cast 200 gr SWC for .45 ACP then you will get only 35 boolits per pound. 35 x .04 cents gets you $1.40 for 35 .45 ACP boolits. If you pay up to .50 per # for lead then you are ahead of the game. Once you go beyond a buck a pound for ww's then you might as well sell your molds and buy 'em from Laser Cast or somebody else. However I have not recently checked the prices of lead boolits from vendors. Maybe the prices have jumped again!

If you offer a fair price and supply the buckets then you will be assured of a steady supply of weights. Write your name and phone # on the buckets and keep track of where there are and when you come by and soon enough you will have a steady route and an assured supply of lead.

Keep some records and you will not be wasting your time going to a location where they have no ww's unless somebody is poaching on your territory. In that case you will need to sweeten the deal with donuts or beer on top of the money.

The laws of supply and demand always rule.

American
02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I have the same question, but figured I would ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I am heading out this after noon to pickup a couple buckets of wheel weights. What should I offer for a 5 gallon drywall size bucket full? I realize I have competition. The guy told me "most people who take them weigh them and pay me accordingly". He also said they have been giving him abound 25% more for batteries lately so it sounds like he has an idea what they are worth. Since I am just starting out, I hate to make an offer and pay more then they are worth :roll:

I just called the scrap yard, he is paying 37c per pound, now if I could figure out what a drywall bucket full weights I will be able to come up with an idea.

You might eventually find it useful to point out to him that to get that 37c (price is usually for "clean" WW) he has to sort all the trash out of it, tote it down to the scrap yard and then often wait in line for his money... I took a digital bath scale when I went for mine and one guy wanted to weigh it and another just agreed it was about 50 pounds and asked me what I wanted to give. I said ten bucks and he agreed. Turned out to weigh 60# with probably 4# of cig butts, lug nuts and valve stems.

And to "get going" I drove further and paid more than I want to admit for my first 100# of WW - but when I smelted them into muffin ingots and cast my first few dozen bullets it was completely worth it.

Oh, and be careful - I had gloves on (of course) and was raking some WW out on a work table to sort the trash out and sliced myself a little on a razor blade that was in the mix. After that I raked them out with a 3 pronged hand garden cultivator (from my wife's potting area) until I could clearly see there were no more blades - that could have turned out MUCH worse...

Blackhawk Convertable
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
If your local scrap yard is paying 37¢ a pound, then by all means pay what they are paying. I've been paying 34¢ a lb. here lately. Remember, you need the WW's worse than he needs to sell to you.

compass will
02-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I have been forced to pay 20 to 30 bucks a bucket hereabouts recently.

Thanks everyone. That's 20 to 30 bucks a bucket for the full bucket even though you carry it out in 1/2 buckets correct?

the scrap yard said they are paying 37 cents per pound for wheel weights, delevered.

Somewhere on the net I read a 5 gallon bucket weighs around 125 to 150 lbs. That would be around $50.00 the scrap guy would pay if you delevered.

If the owner was to take them to the scrap guy it would cost $10.00 in fuel plus an hour of time; so he is only making $10-$20 per bucket.

The scrap guy who picks up needs to make money so he is probably paying $20-25 per bucket, so I guess my $30.00 offer is not out of place.

Just trying to be fair and honest with the guy.

but I need WW to get started, so I will let you know how I make out.
thanks helping a "new guy" out!

corey012778
02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
gee, I went from wanting to sale some to wanting to get more WW. I may call my source and see how much per pound it is right now. [smilie=1:

corvette8n
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
We only have one scrap dealer in town and they have had NO wheelweights for months, he said no one is bringing them in.

Lloyd Smale
02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
local scrap yard here wants a buck a lb for lead wether its lynotpye or wws and wont even deduct for the weight of the clips.

American
02-13-2008, 03:08 PM
local scrap yard here wants a buck a lb for lead wether its lynotpye or wws and wont even deduct for the weight of the clips.

The scrapyards in my area won't sell me anything - they only buy. I have to drive 45 minutes to a yard that will sell - prices about what you mentioned but he said 100# limit on lead without EPA certification for using lead in manufacturing.

Nannyism! :(

MT Gianni
02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
A bucket will weigh somewhere between 95 and 145 lbs. It depends on someone's definition of full, non lead items, bucket size and probably some other variables. Gianni