PDA

View Full Version : 40-65

bigted
11-22-2014, 03:31 PM
been mulling over the idea of having my Ruger #1 rebarreled with an older Shiloh 40-65 winny barrel that is a bit heavier then my 45-70 barrel. id like to play with an action behind this chamber that I could add some horsepower to in this spiffy 40 cal round.

anybody else done such and if so would you care to comment on your positives and negatives of such a rig?

Nobade
11-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Seems like a good idea to me. You can easily exceed standard 405 Win ballistics that way, using the nice hard Starline brass. Depending on what the chamber looks like and the barrel twist you'll know what sort of boolits it will shoot best with. Remember your barrel can't be bigger than a Ruger factory barrel at the shank or it won't clear the spring hanger, so that may be problematical with a Sharps barrel depending on how heavy it is.

-Nobade

bigted
11-26-2014, 10:11 PM
right on. I need to do some measuring to see if it will even clear. got a quote the other day of 250.00 to index and mount the barrel to the action. the wood fitting will be more. then the finish ... would love to have the action cased but don't know if I want to go into it that much.

barrel is a 26 inch early Shiloh when the c-sharps and Shiloh were together. a wolf barrel in other words. it is chambered for the 40-65 being the necked chamber ... called the 40-65 government by the Shiloh folks. it is a 45-70 necked to 40 cal with a shoulder ... think I would have a 40-70 necked 2.250 length chamber ... to go with my old roller in 43 Spanish or the 39-2.250 chamber ... then all I would need is a 44-77 ... or the 44-2.250 length rifle.

at any rate it sounds like it should be a scream but I will need to wait till after the first of the year and my tax's done to see how much trouble I am in for skipping last year with the move and all. THAT should be the SCREAM I betcha ... :shock:

Frank46
11-27-2014, 12:15 AM
I have a #3 in 30-30 and for all intents it has a 1 1/4 " Diameter barrel 28"long. Will have to dig it out of the safe to get the exact measurement if you want it. Have been thinking about getting it rebarreled back to 45/70 with either full octagon or half and half. Don't hunt anymore but still punch paper. I also have a $1 ruger in 45-70 that has beeb shot only on occasion. Would like that one with a heavy 25" long barrel as well. Always felt the rugers in 45-70 were more like carbines rather than rifles. But folks keep buying them. Frank

Bad Ass Wallace
11-28-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm just assembling a similar rifle on a large framed Martini. 30" Badger barrel with 20x Lyman " All American" rifle scope

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/IMG_0042_zpse8a12e1e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/IMG_0042_zpse8a12e1e.jpg.html)

I have previously built a 38/55 on a Ruger No.1 with a fast twist 1: 12" twist

EDG
11-28-2014, 11:20 AM
It is hard for me to seriously consider a Ruger unless the tang is welded up for mounting a tang sight.
I have several and everytime I think about a BPCR type caliber it becomes apparent that selling it and putting the money toward a factory highwall is a better deal.

bigted
11-29-2014, 02:31 PM
I already have BPCR type rifles in Hiwall and Sharps.

what I desire is a hunting rifle type with modern scope mounted and in the 40-65 BN chamber. I believe that the 40 cal's are a very good rifle for hunting and except for the 405 W all the rest of the modern rifles are not strong enough in my opinion to run a steady diet of smokeless powder in em.

like the 40-65 winchester redo on a marlin tho ... this is just a desire and being I have the barrel and the Ruger ... thought that this project is closer then any others.

I know that my barrel is not larger then 1-1/4 inch so I may be in good shape there.