PDA

View Full Version : Wasted effort (Belle and frozen ???)

ohland
11-22-2014, 12:59 PM
We were out running Belle on Friday morning. Very cold, in the low 20s... She finds something sniffs it thoroughly, then drops one of her shoulders onto it and rolls on it. Thank heavens that whatever it was, it was frozen... Nothing but burrs in her fur.

Freightman
11-22-2014, 01:42 PM
they do like stinky stuff! :bigsmyl2:

MaryB
11-23-2014, 02:59 AM
My brother had to show off his 1 year old lab duck hunting. We were in my brother in laws brand new Suburban. My dog only drank from clear water, little brothers was drinking green pond scum... told the brother in law to put a tarp down in the back but my little brother got all huffy about it claiming his pup wouldn't hurl. Yeah right, got 2 miles from where we hunted and his pup barfed all over the back of the truck. We had a 50 mile trip to the nearest car wash to start to get it out... was not pleasant! My lab Misty crawled into the middle seat by me with a look of "what the heck is that back there". That got my little brother going again saying she should ride with his dog so they socialize. I told him she did not want to ride in a bunch of green puke for 50 miles and she was staying next to me.

Southern Son
11-23-2014, 04:27 AM
I had a German Shepherd groing up. I would walk her along the beach, letting her run off the lead. If she started to get too far away, I would call her back and she would come running straight to me. Because she had done what I told her (come straght to me), I would give her a pat behind the ear. For some reason, she love dead sea slugs. Every now and then I could feel a sticky wetness behind her ear and sure enough, dead sea slug stink. Some of those sea slugs were so rotten I would dry reach. She would look at me as if to say "What, you don't like my new purfume?"

RED333
11-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Yep, dogs like to cover their smell with stuff that smells worse than anything we can think of.

karlrudin
11-23-2014, 09:11 AM
I had a beagle when I was growing up. We lived in the city, but my dad was slowly building a retirement house(20 years later) out in the country. We would take the dog with us so he could enjoy barking at everything in the country. And when he got loose from the chain, like he always did, he would find the nearest cow pattie to roll in. Now we had to drive home 50 miles on Sunday to give him a bath. He loved it and unfortunately my little brother and I began to not notice it as much. Nice childhood memory lol

JeffinNZ
11-23-2014, 05:38 PM
My friend Ewen is Scottish. He had a black lab in the old country with a propensity for rolling in dead SEALS. Now, for those who have encountered LIVE seals you will know how bad they smell when the blood is still pumping. Dead ones. Phew!

jaysouth
11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
My grandson had a mutt/skye terror (not a misspelling) that ran off. Two hours she was back stinking worse than anything we had ever smelled. Grandson, Daughter, and I each soaped her down and rinsed twice. Thi stink was as bad as every. Daughter took her to the groomer. The groomer shaved off all the hair from ears to tail then doused the dog with something sweet and pungent. After two days and nights in a crate out in the gargage, the horrible stink began to abate. It took a week for the odor to go away. Heavens know what the dog rolled in but it must have been a weeks dead deer carcass in a raw sewer ditch.

ohland
11-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Belle's entry into the dirty dog of the year for 2013 was running and rolling in a corn field where it looked like they used sewage to irrigate with. She got loose one afternoon, very hot outside, and she found some cool liquid to roll in... Dear lord, when I saw her that evening, she was _all_ brown. At first, I didn't think it was her, but the size and shape were too familiar. When we got her home, I tried water and Joy. Didn't do much but spread it. Had to go with 409 to get the greasy stuff off.

dakotashooter2
11-24-2014, 04:12 PM
I had a female springer that loved to roll in other dogs ****. If another dog took a dump on the berm she rolled in it. She would also roll in dead fish on the shoreline..........................

MaryB
11-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah th eroll on week old dead carp, Misty got banished to the dog house instead of inside by me a few times for that one.

John Allen
11-24-2014, 11:12 PM
We live next to a creek. On a nice hot 90 plus day my lab decided to roll around on a rotten carp. She came back stinking and covered with scales. It was an impressive stink.