PDA

View Full Version : 500 S&W Question

TXSlade
11-22-2014, 12:18 PM
So, I have a couple of Freedom Arms 454s and love them. But I am thinking about a 4" 500 S&W revolver.

Any owners of them here care to give me their opinions? Or, just what y'all think about the 500 S&W?

I was planning on a 500 Wyoming Express, that belted case is cool, but brass availability is just too much of a pain. I have a 338 Lapua, so I am tired of paying ridiculous amounts for brass, lol.

ole 5 hole group
11-22-2014, 04:09 PM
There's no flies on the 4" model of the S&W 500 but it is a loud puppy, especially if you shoot under an outdoor canopy.

It's well balanced for off-hand shooting and most are very accurate, at least the one I had was. I sold mine after a year, as the muzzle blast under an outdoor canopy made me "punch drunk" after 50 or more rounds fired in a session. I then went with the JR version, which has a 5" non-compensated barrel and I really like it after having a couple problems fixed, such as the tight cylinder throats and a cylinder gap that was too tight.

I paid to open the cylinder throats and S&W fixed the cylinder gap by enlarging the gap to .008", which really annoyed me, as I wanted it under .005". The JR model would bind up at the cylinder gap after 20/25 rounds and I would have to get the tooth brush out to keep it firing.

I didn't have these problems with the 4" model.

dubber123
11-22-2014, 05:11 PM
The one I fooled with was an earlier 8-3/8" model, so maybe the issues have been resolved, but... The one I shot would unlock and rotate backwards so the next hammer fall hit a fired round. Several trips back to S&W with no improvement, and 1 attempt by me to fix the issue. It was sold to another .500 S&W owner who had the exact same issues with his, but didn't let it bother him, as "he only shoots targets". I also have seen it happen on a third example, a 4" model.

It was VERY accurate, and very powerful, although I could never get quite the factory velocity ratings from my handloads. It was replaced with a .475 Linebaugh, with total satisfaction.

69daytona
11-23-2014, 02:31 PM
I have had every barrel length of the 500 except JRs 5". I loved my 4" and wish I would have never sold it but needed money for a car I am restoring.
The 4" is very accurate and loved the cast 350-500 gr gas check lead boolits, It liked the 385gr I designed a few years back the best.
I would like to try one of John Ross's 5" versions though before buying another short barrel 500.
Never had a problem with my 4" and I shot 100-200 rounds through it everytime I took it to the range.
The one thing I would change would be the comp to one of the solid comps to make it a little quieter at least for those standing next to me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-23-2014, 03:00 PM
I really like my x-frame...but I am not a fan of either of the factory compensater inserts the gun comes with. I bought a custom made non-ported insert from a member here, I don't remember who? Besides being lots quieter for the shooter, now I don't get the 'concussion' feeling in the chest that's seems strong enough to stop a fella's heart! Yeah, it does kick, flip, jump a bit more, as to be expected.

I have a 385gr Ballisti-cast RF PB mold as well as the NOE 550 RN PB, which actually weighs closer to 500gr. and the GC'd Lee 440gr.
All shoot well. The 385gr with 17gr of Unique is a real nice load.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/bothleftside.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/bothleftside.jpg.html)

tygar
11-23-2014, 03:33 PM
I currently have the 6.5" but have had the 10 or 12"(don't remember) custom shop. It shot well but might as well carry a rifle than that big honker.

I like the 6.5 & it's accurate, also like the others it shoots the 385s great. Dave at C&H 4D Tool & Die, makes a kick az 385gr solid bronze for dangerous game if you need one.

I would like a 5" like the .460 but they don't make it.

I can't think of a negative to the S&W .500 other than It's a real honker. You can do fairly fast double action shots for bear protection & single is like all Smiths, accurate & smooth.

Get the Smith, can't go wrong.

I absolutely disagree with a single action in a dangerous game backup! I bear can do that 25yd in 1.5 seconds & the most you can hope for is 1 shot with a single action, but you can get 3 with a double.

Really like that X frame.

Bonz
11-23-2014, 03:41 PM
I love my S&W 4" .500 magnum, absolutely my favorite revolver. I don't shoot cast through it, only jacketed. Its amazing how you can just change powder types and powder charges/weights and make just about any kind of round that you want. I have small hands and still have a good grip on it. Full power Hornady factory loads are a bit tough but everything I load is just a lot of fun. I bring several different round types with me to the shooting range just for the people that walk up and ask to shoot it.

Markbo
11-23-2014, 08:47 PM
The original .500 S&W 8" remains the only handgun I have ever fired that bruised my hand. It was the grip in my opnion.

lup
11-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I have the JR edition with the 5 inch unported barrel. I have no issues shooting it. While it can be shot one handed, it's heavy for long strings.

scarry scarney
11-24-2014, 01:42 PM
I have the 4" version as well. I have one of those un-ported comps, so no obscene noise. Using the Lee 455 lead cast with trail boss, it's like firing a 38spl with half inch holes!

JonB - Where did you get those grips?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-24-2014, 09:43 PM
I have the 4" version as well. I have one of those un-ported comps, so no obscene noise. Using the Lee 455 lead cast with trail boss, it's like firing a 38spl with half inch holes!

JonB - Where did you get those grips?
I bought the gun used, and it came with them, I think they are Herrett custom fitted grips.
Looks like this style "Jordan" doesn't it.
http://www.herrettstocks.com/jordontp.htm
And I think I am quite lucky as they fit my hand pretty well, the original owner must have hands about the size of mine.

I didn't get the original 'cushy' S&W rubber grips with this gun, So I ordered them from S&W. I was truly disappointed in their feel and performance, compared to these custom wood grips.
Jon

snowwolfe
11-25-2014, 11:59 AM
The 4 inch 500 was my favorite revolver before I moved out of Alaska and the last 500 I sold before moving out. Would buy one again in a heartbeat if I ever lived in big bear country. Also added the "solid" comp to it.

TXSlade
11-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Well fellas, y'all sold me. I will be looking for a 4" version then. I miss my 4 5/8 FA Casull I sold years ago. Instead of spending stupid money replacing it, I will get the Smith. I'm betting I can find a used one here in Texas. lol, not many bears in these parts.

TXSlade
11-26-2014, 10:59 AM
That solid comp? Anyone remember offhand where to get it?

Or, that 5" version? I like the full underlug, the PC half underlug doesn't do it for me.

snowwolfe
11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
The 5 inch version is offered by John Ross, just google "John Ross S&W 500" and his site will come up with his phone number. I think they sell for about $1,350
The solid comp was sold by a member here a few years ago but I forgot who he was.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-26-2014, 11:25 AM
That solid comp? Anyone remember offhand where to get it?

Or, that 5" version? I like the full underlug, the PC half underlug doesn't do it for me.
This is the only place to get a 5" S&W 500 (unless you have one custom made).
http://john-ross.net/store.php
BUT, it doesn't have a full underlug.

regarding the no holes comp, I 'think' that was a one time offering by freedom475.
I wasn't able to find the original thread, but I found this one, with a broken link to it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?142629-500-s-amp-w-x-frame&p=1579789&viewfull=1#post1579789

Groo
11-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Groo here
I have an early 4, with a comp.
The only thing I could want is a replacement insert for the comp that extendes the barrel to 5in for ohio deer.
There was one made but I can't fine one.
Ant help would be great.

44man
11-26-2014, 05:42 PM
4" in a .500, no way for me. Too much powder to burn in the short tube.