PDA

View Full Version : 444 marlin brass

splotch
11-22-2014, 01:12 AM
I understand that some of the Hornday brass when reloaded is shorter than standard brass. Is there any special rule that needs to be followed as to starting charges compared to standard length brass, and do you need to seat the bullets out a bit farther to make up the difference? I have an older 444S about 1978.

smoked turkey
11-22-2014, 02:09 AM
splotch I have a 444 also but all my brass is regular length so I cannot speak from experience on the shorter brass. However I believe your theory of seating the boolit longer should result in the interior case powder area being more equivalent to the "normal" length brass powder space. This should allow you to use "normal" brass loading information and expect similar results. I used to do this with 38 special cases when loading 357 magnum loads in the special cases. Shooting in 357 mag revolvers only ofcourse. Perhaps someone who has this exact experience will chime in soon and give you the real scoop. I think you have asked a good question.

dh2
11-22-2014, 08:49 AM
yes the Hornady brass is shorter than standard, I had to get Hornady die's to load it. I use the published data and work up , starting load is low enough to be safe if you watch pressure sings, But as for length mine is a handy rifle so I do not have to deal with feeding like the Marlin

bdicki
11-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Hornady brass from there loaded ammo is short but the brass purchased as brass is normal length.

Mohillbilly
11-22-2014, 03:51 PM
If possible use book loads and seat to the same OAL .

dh2
11-22-2014, 08:27 PM
If possible use book loads and seat to the same OAL .
YES why not

quilbilly
11-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I got a few of the Hornady's in a mixed batch. It was quite a surprise. I just load them with my regular load for plain base boolits at 1200 FPS and mark the batch for single shot only. They shoot fine. I did have to use a different tool to flare the case, however.