PDA

View Full Version : "Oldtimers" - A question on Lachmiller Dies

bedbugbilly
11-21-2014, 12:59 PM
This is an inquiry for "Oldtimers" and I figure I can ask it that way since I'm an old fart myself! :-)

Over the years, I've seen Lachmiller dies at gun shows, etc. but I never paid that much attention to them other than a glance as I wasn't reloading. From what I've read, they are "vintage" (like me :-) ) and it's my understanding that RCBS bought them out or absorbed them.

From the ones I've seen, they seemed to be pretty good quality dies. I've run across several pistol sets in the past and from what I'm saw, they are two die sets much like rifle dies. The sizing/de-priming die has a de-capping pin with a mouth expander and the second die acts as the seating/crimp die. Is this correct?

Also, if set up that way, how well did they work? I'm sure they functioned O.K. and did the job but did the die designs go to a 3 die set (sizing/de-capping, expander, seating/crimp) because it "worked better"?

I like "vintage" things and I'd like to pick up a set of Lachmiller dies for 38 spl. sometime just to have a set of them. Curiosity has the best of me and for those that have reloaded for years and possibly used (or use) Lachmiller dies - just curious of your thoughts on them and any "historical" info as far as their design goes. I have googled them and was able to find some things out but would like to hear from anybody that has actually owned/used them. I'd like to learn a little more about them.

Were their rifle dies just strictly a two die set as well (as many are today) and of the same design as present day dies are?

As far as "vintage" things go, I'm one of those guys who likes to use dippers once in a while, my Lyman 310 loading tools for such "oldies" as 38 Colt Short/Long cartridges in Smokeless and BP . . . thus my inquiry on the vintage Lachmiller dies . . . I'm also wanting to get a set of Herter's Dies just for "nostalgia sake" . . . I can well remember waiting for the Herter's "wish book" to come . . . that's one catalog I really miss!

Thanks!

Dan Cash
11-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Can't say for sure about the pistol dies but the Lachmiller rifle dies were the same as modern dies if my -06 set is any indication.

salpal48
11-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Lachmiller made very good equipment. I have a complete set up. . grey 101, Blue Olympian press ,powder measure and primer seat , all the shell holders. All good. The dies i only have Rifle . Just as good as The others .
Sal

Pressman
11-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Sal you are missing the steel 401 press, it is out there but in very small numbers.

As for Lachmiller pistol dies, I to do not have any, only rifle dies.

Ken

Bent Ramrod
11-21-2014, 05:33 PM
I have two Lachmiller sets: a 2-die set in .22 Hornet (FLS/Decapping and Seating) and a 3-die set for .44 Special (FLS, Mouth Expanding/Decapping and Seating/Crimping). I don't see how you can load cylindrical pistol cases with only two dies. You have to size down the case and then expand only the case mouth. Decapping can be done in either of these dies, but an expander for the mouth on a FL sizing die would just squeeze the mouth back down as the case was withdrawn from the die.

Quality seems to be as good as any. The FLS die for the .44 Special is a better match to my .44 Spl cylinder, so I tend to use the Lachmiller dies in preference to the RCBS ones I have.

bedbugbilly
11-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Bent Ramrod - that's exactly what I was thinking as far as a die re-sizing, de-capping and expanding in all one die. I think that perhaps the pistol sets I've run across were missing the FLS die? Why that die would be missing is beyond me but I know stuff does get lost and separated. That would certainly make more sense.

Thanks for the info fellas- greatly appreciated!

Char-Gar
11-21-2014, 07:27 PM
I don't see how you can load cylindrical pistol cases with only two dies.

Frankly I am not certain how it is done either, but the early Pacific handgun dies only had two in the set. One die sized, decapped, expanded and belled the case in one pass. The other die seated and crimped the bullet. I have a set of these dies in 38 Special and they work. I am so freaked out by them, that I have not sat down with the hole gauges and micrometers to figure out how they pull that off, but they do.

bedbugbilly
11-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Char-Gar - I think it's easy to see how they work on rifle cartridges given the profile of the casings. Like you though - if two die sets were made (and you obviously have one!) - I don't see how the tolerances would be able to be kept given the variance in the thickness of the neck brass between mfgs.? But . . . I'm also thinking that if the depriving/expander portion of the stem went in to the casing and the casing extended over the expansion ball (for want of a better word, is the casing "neck sized and as the ram is lowered and the stem retracted, does it "size" the mouth? Same way as a rifle die?

I don't have a Lachmiller to look at but the sets I have seen (which there were only two dies in the box) - the de-capping stem reminded me of a rifle stem but in a smaller scale. I'm just wondering if the die (yours or a Lachmiller) is designed to neck size - not a whole lot different from how the 310 set works? On the 310 (which I know you know well) a "spent" casing is de-capped, primed, neck sized, expanded and seated.

It's got me to wondering if there were Lachmiller (and others) designed to be used with once fired brass out of a pistol where the brass would be fire formed to the chamber of that pistol and instead of being full length sized, it only neck sized? Of course it could be a problem if the ammo was used in more than one revolver and the chambers weren't close dimension wise but I have 7 or 8 revolvers that are capable of firing 38s and I have tried spent brass in them all that was fired in my Smith M & P. They seem to fit O.K. in all of them and I would consider what i've fired as "fire formed".

Just sort of thinking out loud. :-) I find it interesting and hopefully I can run across a set of Lachmiller dies to check it all out. The more I keep thinking about it - I think it could be done if it were only neck sizing the casing??

seagiant
11-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Hi,
I've never seen "junk" with the name Lachmiller on it!

W.R.Buchanan
11-22-2014, 01:14 PM
I have a few Lachmiller tools. my refurbished shot shell resizer is very cool, I have a 311041 mould made by them and I also have a set of 12 ga Reloading dies which I believe screw into the turret of a Hollywood press.

These guys were not slouches and their machine work was first rate. They were all Aerospace Machinists who filtered out of the Aerospace Industry in the San Fernando Valley as it slowly left the area. This group was probably the best manual machine operators this country ever produced.

Now they are either old or gone.

Randy

RayO
11-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi,
I've never seen "junk" with the name Lachmiller on it!

My sentiments exactly.I have three of those priming tools.

seagiant
11-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I have a few Lachmiller tools. my refurbished shot shell resizer is very cool, I have a 311041 mould made by them and I also have a set of 12 ga Reloading dies which I believe screw into the turret of a Hollywood press.

These guys were not slouches and their machine work was first rate. They were all Aerospace Machinists who filtered out of the Aerospace Industry in the San Fernando Valley as it slowly left the area. This group was probably the best manual machine operators this country ever produced.

Now they are either old or gone.

Randy

Hi Randy,
Still hoping you jump in your "Benz" one day and run over there where Lachmiller was located and see what you can find out about those guys now!

fast ronnie
11-23-2014, 03:12 AM
I just gave a set of .38 lachmiller dies to a good friend. There was a homemade expander die in the box with the other two dies. I'll give him a call and ask him to look inside them. I never used them as I have a set in a green box. it may take me a little bit to get hold of him. i also have a lachmiller press, a bench primer like the picture in a previous post, 30-06 dies and 2 or 3 shell holders. pm me if interested. I don't use them as I have two rockchuckers.

minmax
11-23-2014, 08:14 AM
There are two sets of 38spl. dies on flea bay right now.

bedbugbilly
11-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks to all for the fine information - greatly appreciated!

minmax - I snagged one of the sets on flea bay - from the photos, they look to be in very good shape. There are only two dies and the seller listed as de-capping and seating. It will be interesting to get them and see just what the stem looks like on the "de-capping" die as from what I'm seeing on another set that was listed - the stem looks like it not only de-caps but expands as well.

When I get them, I'll make a post and show what I have and what the stem looks like. Either it was intended to be a 2 die set or the expander is missing - the proof will be in the pudding I guess.

Thanks again to everybody for sharing their knowledge - always fine it interesting to learn more about companies that used to be in business and their backgrounds.

W.R.Buchanan
11-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Lachmiller was located at 6445 San Fernando Road in Glendale CA. They were at the corner of Rubert and SF Rd which is about 2-3 blocks below Western Ave off the I 5.

They are long gone.

Randy