PDA

View Full Version : kill with the beowulf

Lloyd Smale
11-21-2014, 07:54 AM
shot an 8 pointer that weighted about 150 with my beo. First thing ive killed with it. The wife killed a asian water buffalo that went about 1500 lbs with it using punch bullets but i had never hunted with it. I was using renieer 300 grain hps. Shot the deer in the shoulder (only shot i could get through the brush) at about 50 yards. That hp broke the shoulder and exited right behind the oposite shoulder but the bullet came unglued. It was a mess. Both shoulder shot to heck and the whole rib cage on the oposite side was a black mess. Found little chunks of jacket everwhere. If theres a next time it wont be with the hp but was thinking about how devistating it would be in a self defense situation.

6bg6ga
11-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Congrats on the kill. I would hate to get shot with it. Sounds nasty very nasty. Sounds like a good self defense round.

GabbyM
11-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Loyd you know that fifty is screaming out for cast boolits.

tomme boy
11-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Shoot them in the lungs. You don't get the damaged meat like the other shot do.

Lloyd Smale
11-21-2014, 10:29 AM
no doubt would have reduced it but it was the only shot i had through the trees. Id guess by looking even a lung shot would destroy substaintial meat with that bullet. Cast just doesnt do near as a well for accuracy out of my gun. Actually the best shooting bullet is the reineer solid flat nose. that bullet shoots under an inch at a 100 yards in my ar. Its probably what ill stick to for now on.
Shoot them in the lungs. You don't get the damaged meat like the other shot do.

**oneshot**
11-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Deer got hit with a Mack Truck. Congrads on the deer, sorry for the loss of meat. When I shot jacketed I was always a hollowpoint guy for hunting, then switched to soft points to save doing what you did.

nekshot
11-21-2014, 11:28 AM
forgive my ignorance but what is this cartridge all about? I see its name but very little talk about it. Congrats on the harvest!

tomme boy
11-21-2014, 04:46 PM
They are a good car stopper with the solid brass spire point. They will destroy any motor and stop a car/truck or whatever. They are a mini 50 bmg in a standard AR platform. Thats what they are about

Lloyd Smale
11-24-2014, 09:59 AM
actually very similar in power to a 4570 or 444 see a lot of those used for deer hunting so why not the beo. Granted I wouldn't use a hp anymore but maybe again with the renieer flat point solid.

bbailey7821
11-26-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm using a 325 TC boolits to hunt whitetails and pigs with. It really does the trick and doesn't tear up the meat. I tried John Ross's Alley Sweeper last year, but it was like a hand-grenade going off inside of whatever you shot with it.

bbailey7821
11-26-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm using a 325 TC boolits to hunt whitetails and pigs with. It really does the trick and doesn't tear up the meat. I tried John Ross's Alley Sweeper last year, but it was like a hand-grenade going off inside of whatever you shot with it.

nekshot
11-26-2014, 05:23 PM
must you buy the brass or make it from something else?

bbailey7821
11-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Yup, you gotta buy it. It's a little pricey, but seems to be holding up well. I'm on 3 or 4 reloads with mine.

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2014, 10:33 AM
ya my gun actually shoots that bullet better the hp and its probably what ill stick to from now on