PDA

View Full Version : Mauser "Firing Pin"

TCLouis
02-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Buckshot et al.

I was sitting here thinking ( Danger he's thinking) and said to myself, "Why cant I make a 03 kinda cocking piece and add it on to the rear of my mauser's firing pin with a screw?"

How hard is the back of the firing pin, can I drill and tap it?

Nothing too fancy, just a fun project to yet another cast boolit gun or two, or three!

Morgan Astorbilt
02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Why would you want to do that? Adding weight will slow down the lock time. I used to cut the knob off the '03's I sporterized.
Morgan

nicholst55
02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Why would you want to do that? Adding weight will slow down the lock time. I used to cut the knob off the '03's I sporterized.
Morgan

Morgan, would you mind detailing just how you did that? I've got one that would certainly benefit from having that done to it. Did you install a cross-pin through the striker rod assembly to keep it from unscrewing afterwards?

Morgan Astorbilt
02-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Morgan, would you mind detailing just how you did that? I've got one that would certainly benefit from having that done to it. Did you install a cross-pin through the striker rod assembly to keep it from unscrewing afterwards?

Nicholst55. It's been forty years but here's as I remember.

I only did two by cutting off the knob. I didn't cut it off with the firing pin rod screwed in, because I wanted to leave the rod a bit long to peen it over.
I measured the length of the firing pin rod, and removed the cocking piece. After cutting off the knob, screwed the rod back in to the proper length, and drilled about a 3/64" or 1/16" hole through both parts. Chamfered both holes, and pinned them with a piece of drill rod, peening the ends, and filing flush. Cut the rod off, and peened it over as added rigidity, taking pressure off the cross pin.

I did others, by just replacing with headless cocking pieces that were available from the DCM. I don't know if the CMP has any.
Morgan

Morgan Astorbilt
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I forgot to mention grinding away the peened section of the firing pin rod at the rear of the cocking knob before unscrewing it. I don't remember why I didn't just cross drill the parts BEFORE unscrewing the cocking piece, but there probably was a reason, which I can't recall now.
Morgan

P.S. Numrich Arms has the striker assemblies for about $5, if you want to practice on one.

TCLouis
02-13-2008, 06:02 PM
You know kinda like the bear that climbed the hill . . . JUST to see what was on the other side,

this project just seemed like something to do.

kycrawler
02-15-2008, 11:44 PM
yes you can drill and tap it i added a cocking piece to the rear of an m 24/47 to shoot military yugo surplus ammo that i had with hard primers about 1 in 10 would require a double hit to fire it and the cocking piece was safer that using the bolt to recock it

mroliver77
02-18-2008, 03:07 AM
yes you can drill and tap it i added a cocking piece to the rear of an m 24/47 to shoot military yugo surplus ammo that i had with hard primers about 1 in 10 would require a double hit to fire it and the cocking piece was safer that using the bolt to recock it

I bought a new spring for mine and the problem was solved. ;)
J