PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Prime on Their Single Stage Press Anymore???

seagiant
11-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Hi,
I just found another RCBS JR3 single stage press again. I had one that I completely rebuilt that was in pretty rough shape cosmeticly but good working condition. Shown below!

I guess I did to good a job because my buddy across the street from me begged for it as he is just starting to reload.

I actually missed it (did I say I like old RCBS presses?) I had it set up to prime on the press and enjoy that when reloading rifle sometimes! Now it was gone so found another and will have to scroung everything again to get a complete system up.

Just wondering if people still enjoyed priming on the press any more???

starmac
11-20-2014, 07:47 PM
I do nearly all of my priming on a press, either the hollywood, herters with a lee ramprime or rcbs. I have a lee hand unit, but for some reason seldom use it.

MT Chambers
11-20-2014, 07:57 PM
I prime on my Co-ax, very smooth and positive.

bedbugbilly
11-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I load mostly on my Lee turret but I do have a RCBS JR3 and I love it. I mainly use it with a universal de-primer die to de-prime all of my brass and for sizing boolits. I'm now using it to reload 8 X 57 for my WWI German Mauser. As far as priming, I prime everything with my Lee Ergo Hand Primer. It all just works for me.

seagiant - I don't know what all parts are needed for the priming on a JR3 but I think I have some priming arms (if that's what they are called?) I know I'll never use them so let me know what you're looking for. If possible, maybe someone could post a picture on this thread of the priming parts needed for a JR3?

I love my JR3 and would be lost without it! It's just really handy for me and I'm sure will last my lifetime and several more.

Roosters
11-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Do my priming on exactly what you have right there. Owned it since the late 70s.

When depriming I cut a short piece of plastic drinking straw and place it in the grove in the ram and it funnels the old primers right into the catch tray. The piece I'm using now actually fits up into the shell holder a little. Get you a straw and a pair of scissors and play with the length works pretty good.

bruce drake
11-20-2014, 08:03 PM
I prime on a LEE Challenger Press and I do everything else on the RCBS JR3 so I understand where you come from.

pjames32
11-20-2014, 08:19 PM
I no longer prime on the press. I use a Lee hand primer or and RCBS bench priming tool. I may have some of the parts you need.
PJ

jmort
11-20-2014, 08:29 PM
I have a few hand primers I use, but I also use the Lee Ram Prime with my hand presses and single stage presses. I really like the feel that the Ram Prime gives when seating a primer.

odfairfaxsub
11-20-2014, 08:30 PM
I do I hate primer tools

seagiant
11-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi,
Roosters,thanks for the tip!

Bedbugbilly,PM inbound!

Bayou52
11-20-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm about half on the RC press and the other half by hand using a pristine vintage RCBS Posi-Prime hand priming tool. It's a pleasure to hand prime with that tool.....

Bayou52

Walt
11-20-2014, 08:41 PM
I prime on single stages when making short runs. When testing new components or loads for new guns etc.

hornetman
11-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I prime on the press when I use my Lyman Tru-Line Jr or All-American. Just seems right. No longer prime on any of my single stages-use one of my RCBS bench mounted tools or a K&M hand tool. I also sometimes use one of the old Lee hand tools.

Eddie2002
11-20-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm still priming on a Lyman Spartan single stage press, mostly for rifles and one .380 ACP. If I was shooting a lot of brass like 9mm or .223 I would upgrade to a progressive.

3006guns
11-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Wait a minute.......whaddya mean? There's other ways to prime??

Actually I use an RCBS ram prime on my Rock Chucker for rifle ammo and an RCBS hand primer for any pistol ammo that my Dillon isn't set up for. I found out long ago that the ram prime was far easier to manipulate (for me anyway) than the priming arm on the Rock Chucker.

vdagiel
11-20-2014, 09:44 PM
I prime on my Forster Coax.

vdagiel
11-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Here's a couple of pics, priming on the press.

mozeppa
11-20-2014, 09:49 PM
hi!...i'm mike and i'm addicted to the RCBS aps machine that primes all my brass!

Love Life
11-20-2014, 10:29 PM
I do.

Bzcraig
11-20-2014, 10:59 PM
I do too

waco
11-20-2014, 11:31 PM
My rock chucker is a hand me down. It's missing the priming arm. So, no.

texassako
11-20-2014, 11:38 PM
I recently found the Lee safety prime setup on my Lee single stage to actually be pretty handy for my handgun rounds after siting for years in the box. You can get in a groove and really crank out some sized and primed cases on it.

bruce drake
11-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Waco,
Buy a Lee Ram Prime Set (or two and keep a ram always setup for either Large or Small Primer) and you are set!

Bruce

mac60
11-20-2014, 11:53 PM
20 and 12 ga. brass shotshell hulls I prime on a Rock Chucker with an RCBS ram prime. I do most of my priming with a bench mounted RCBS auto priming tool. I have several generations of Lee hand held priming tools and a RCBS hand held tool I use every now and then.

Doc Highwall
11-20-2014, 11:59 PM
I have RCBS, Lyman, and LEE ram prime tools. The only primer seating variation you can get seating primers after using a primer pocket uni-former is from case rim varriations.

LUBEDUDE
11-21-2014, 12:13 AM
I always prefer to prime with the press. Especially Hollywoods because of the feel and smoothness.

MtGun44
11-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Almost never, like maybe 50 rds in the last 45 years and around 250-350K rounds
loaded. Picked up a Lee Auto Prime in about 1980 and never looked back.

Bill

WallyM3
11-21-2014, 02:01 AM
I lube up my presses pretty lavishly, so no primer goes anywhere near one. I have a bench mounted RCBS priming unit that I've used almost as long as I've been loading.

I used grease on the eccentric and there's no oil creep up into the mechanism.

Mk42gunner
11-21-2014, 02:19 AM
My presses these days are all single stage units that came to me "Pre-Broken In" i.e. used; and none of them have the priming arms. I have a Lyman ram prime that I have never set up because I use the RCBS hand priming tool.

The only time I can remember using a press mounted priming system in the last several years was helping my buddy work up loads for his 6mmx300WSM, on a JR3 that I gave him.

I have never used the primer tube for the RCBS presses, we always did it one primer at a time.

Robert

Bullwolf
11-21-2014, 02:58 AM
I still prime on the single stage press often.

- Bullwolf

garym1a2
11-21-2014, 03:11 AM
I don't prime only any of my presses anymore, not the lee classic cast single, turrent,pro1000 no loadmaster. Thanks to crimped in primers for 9mm and 5.56. Pluss small primer 45acp its not worth priming on press.

wallenba
11-21-2014, 03:21 AM
I bought the RCBS bench mounted priming tool back around 1980. Since then I've chased the, 'better priming tool' bug. Even have an APS primer. Keep going back to the bench mounted RCBS. Can't find a better tool for the job.

Cmm_3940
11-21-2014, 04:18 AM
I use the Redding primer feed system on my T7.

winelover
11-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Just started to prime, again, on my RCBS JR. Quit, years ago, and used the Lee Hand priming tool. Recently, the Lee gave up the ghost and I replaced it with the new version, with the square tray. PIS. During use, tray lifts off, and spills the primers.

During my recent move, I lost the small pistol seating post for the RCBS press priming system. I had all the other parts. Naturally, I e-mailed RCBS for a replacement. To my dismay, they sent me a link to purchase the part from Midway. I rarely order from them but I checked Mid-South and they carried it, so I ordered it along with some other odds and ends. This is their item description:

Universal Primer Arm

$13.34

Includes everything, except the two primer pick-up tubes.

Winelover

smokeywolf
11-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Like LUBEDUDE, I prime on my Hollywood single stage.

smokeywolf

BethelHntr
11-21-2014, 07:21 AM
RCBS bench prime hands down.

6bg6ga
11-21-2014, 08:07 AM
I used to prime on a RCBS single stage press but found it too slow.

seagiant
11-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Hi,
I will admit a weakness for the older version of the RCBS Bench Mount Primer Tool! I grab them whenever I see a bargin!

btroj
11-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Never really did. I use my Lee handheld primer tool, far faster and easier to me. I can also prime in front of the TV if I want.

ioon44
11-21-2014, 09:25 AM
I prime rifle rounds on my RCBS Bench Mount Primer Tool, all pistol rounds get done on a Dillon 550 Shotgun on a MEC 9000.

Bonz
11-21-2014, 09:32 AM
I hand prime all my brass on a RCBS bench primer. I grab a handful of clean brass, inspect the cases and then prime them.

44Vaquero
11-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Hey Seagiant! Does this count?

EDG
11-21-2014, 03:11 PM
I quit priming on a press when I got my first Lee hand priming tool with the screw in shell holders.
I had a Bair C press then. I liked priming on that press with the linkage reversed to the up stroke.
The linkage on a RCBS Junior can be reversed too.
I think pushing the handle down to prime is much better than pulling up.

pworley1
11-21-2014, 03:15 PM
I have two presses just for priming. One small primers and one large primers. I use one RCBS and one Lyman priming die.

HangFireW8
11-21-2014, 03:39 PM
I hand feed one of three single stages set up in an assembly line for most rifle. I also have a fully progressive and use the self-feeding primer when loading on that.

seagiant
11-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Hey Seagiant! Does this count?

Hi,
Yea! Why not!

44 they are coming out of the woodwork on this one! Ha!

HGS
11-21-2014, 08:49 PM
I used these the other day to prime 500 - 30.06 cases and then over 500 357 cases. It sure is nice to have a 14 year old grandson with a big arm who likes to shoot. Presses worked real good, no problem I wonder why RCBS doesn't have a priming system on the summit press.

HGS

bbqncigars
11-21-2014, 09:26 PM
I do most of my priming with an old Lee Autoprime. The 25-20s get primed whilst running through the Hornady AP. The .50BMG gets primed via the collared Lee ram prime on the Classic Cast.

seagiant
11-21-2014, 09:46 PM
I used these the other day to prime 500 - 30.06 cases and then over 500 357 cases. It sure is nice to have a 14 year old grandson with a big arm who likes to shoot. Presses worked real good, no problem I wonder why RCBS doesn't have a priming system on the summit press.

HGS

Hi,
Uh-oh! Here we go! Where is LubeDude!

s mac
11-21-2014, 10:09 PM
I do most of my priming on the old Pacific press i bought from you seagiant, love that old press, use it more than my other two i own.

JWFilips
11-21-2014, 10:14 PM
As the Poster asked: Does anyone Prime....?
Well for years I primed my Pistol brass on my Rock Chucker RCBS but that was Small pistol priming. Then I got a 1911 Well that was large pistol...c*rap that was way harderer! Got me a RCBS bench Primer so now there is no problems priming any brass..... Of course that is the way I do it...& it works for me..... Your milage may vary

seagiant
11-21-2014, 10:34 PM
I do most of my priming on the old Pacific press i bought from you seagiant, love that old press, use it more than my other two i own.

Hi,
Good deal! They are hard to beat and have "soul"!

Picked up my RCBS JR3 today. It came with an original aluminum primer catcher with the raised "RCBS" lettering inside the pan!

The aluminum primer catchers that Huntington sells now (not RCBS) has no lettering and are not finished, actually very rough and they still want $20+ shipping for one!

W.R.Buchanan
11-22-2014, 12:36 AM
I have never primed on a single stage press. When I started I had a lee Loader. The first accessory I bought was a Lee Hand Priming Tool. I used it exclusively until I got a RCBS Hand Priming Tool that had the universal shell holder.
I want one of those RCBS Bench Primers cuz I heard they have a really good feel to them.

I do prime cases on my progressives for handgun ammo, and shot shells.

Randy

Doc Highwall
11-22-2014, 12:28 PM
For my match loads for serious shooting with cases that have the primer pocket depth uniformed I first partially seat the primers with the RCBS bench mounted tool to save time, then do the final seating with the ram prime. When seating the primers with the ram priming tool, I rotate the case several times while seating the primer deeper each time until the ram reaches TDC.

seagiant
11-22-2014, 12:49 PM
For my match loads for serious shooting with cases that have the primer pocket depth uniformed I first partially seat the primers with the RCBS bench mounted tool to save time, then do the final seating with the ram prime. When seating the primers with the ram priming tool, I rotate the case several times while seating the primer deeper each time until the ram reaches TDC.

Hi,
Ok, I'm confused (as usual) why would the LEE Ram Prime be better than the RCBS Bench Primer???

I also uniform my primer pockets on rifle cases and do a 120' turn around as I prime!

engineer401
11-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Hi,
I will admit a weakness for the older version of the RCBS Bench Mount Primer Tool! I grab them whenever I see a bargin!

The RCBS bench primer is a great unit. When I reloaded everything on a single stage press, I used the RCBS bench primer exclusively. Once you get the rhythm it works flawlessly. I used the reliable Lee hand prime before that. I never used the press mounted unit.

Char-Gar
11-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Depending on my mood, I primer with an RCBS hand tool, a Lyman 310 priming die, or on the press. I use either the RCBS A2 or one of my old Pacific C presses. Any of these can be used effectively to feel the primer hit the bottom of the pocket. I don't think one is clearly superior to another.

LUBEDUDE
11-22-2014, 02:10 PM

HGS

Here I am SG!

HGS, I always wondered the same, and thought setting up a priming operation would be a simple job for the Summit press.

Well you you sure showed them!

Well Done Sir!

BTW, I sure like the Meepos press and lubesizer as well as the Star in the background.:)

pretzelxx
11-22-2014, 02:54 PM
If my reloading kit came with the primer tube and proper attachment and not a hand held priming tool, i would. But then again, it would basically cut out a step and i probably wouldn't wash my brass nearly as much.

atr
11-22-2014, 03:49 PM
I don't
Instead I use a a RCBS bench primer....more convenient

Doc Highwall
11-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi,
Ok, I'm confused (as usual) why would the LEE Ram Prime be better than the RCBS Bench Primer???

I also uniform my primer pockets on rifle cases and do a 120' turn around as I prime!

Seagiant, the reason the ram prime is better is that when it gets to the top of the stroke it can no longer seat the primer deeper, and the RCBS bench priming tool can seat the primer deeper by applying more force.

I am sure you and others like myself have seated primers both high and too deep with the RCBS bench tool. It is easy enough to reseat a high primer flush, but what about one that is too deep, and I look as this being a variable. The variation in primer seating is controlled by the Ram prime unit when the press reaches the top of it's stroke/TDC and can no longer apply seating force. The only variation that can exist now in primer depths with uniformed primer pockets is the variation in rim thickness of the case where it is held by the shell holder. A thicker case rim will hold the case down below where the shell holder catches the rim causing the primer to be seated deeper.

seagiant
11-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Seagiant, the reason the ram prime is better is that when it gets to the top of the stroke it can no longer seat the primer deeper, and the RCBS bench priming tool can seat the primer deeper by applying more force.

I am sure you and others like myself have seated primers both high and too deep with the RCBS bench tool. It is easy enough to reseat a high primer flush, but what about one that is too deep, and I look as this being a variable. The variation in primer seating is controlled by the Ram prime unit when the press reaches the top of it's stroke/TDC and can no longer apply seating force. The only variation that can exist now in primer depths with uniformed primer pockets is the variation in rim thickness of the case where it is held by the shell holder. A thicker case rim will hold the case down below where the shell holder catches the rim causing the primer to be seated deeper.

Hi,
Well...the primer does not "float" it is pushed till it bottoms in the case primer pocket. There is no "to deep". I use a pocket uniformer that squares the bottom of the pocket so the primer seats squarely when it is seated to the bottom of the pocket!

Whether it is done by a bench primer,on a press or with a ram prime really does not matter! IMO!

rmark
11-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Lee ram prime on my 35 year old Pacific press.

Doc Highwall
11-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Seagiant, I should have said you can crush the primer by trying to seat it too deep due to no positive stop on the bench priming tool. I am sure that any body that has reloaded for a while notices that when seating primers that some go in harder then others which is why I like using the end of the stroke of the ram to seat the primers to their final depth.

seagiant
11-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Seagiant, I should have said you can crush the primer by trying to seat it too deep due to no positive stop on the bench priming tool. I am sure that any body that has reloaded for a while notices that when seating primers that some go in harder then others which is why I like using the end of the stroke of the ram to seat the primers to their final depth.

Hi,
Ok, I was trying to figure out what was going on! I guess it is posible to crush a primer but my experience and my opinion is it would be hard to do FOR ME,but maybe others might have a problem especially new reloaders!

FOR ME I have found the RCBS Bench Primer to be excellent and the only thing with better "feel" would be my Lachmiller, but it is single primer only!

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

bigjake
11-23-2014, 01:34 PM
I use the rcbs primer arms for priming rifle shells because the pockets are tight after i de-crimp them. i can feel how much pressure it needs to seat the primer. i purposely make the pocket a bit on the small side so the brass last longer. For pistol brass, I use the hand primer.

bandsmoyer
11-23-2014, 02:00 PM
likewise

Char-Gar
11-23-2014, 06:57 PM
It is possible to crush the primer cake causing erratic ignition. That is why we seat primers by feel when they touch the bottom of the pocket. You don't want the firing pin of the firearm to do the final primer seating as could be quite a blow to the primer cake.

HangFireW8
11-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Compound leverage presses (RCBS RC) are much more likely to crush primers. Lee promotes the Classic Cast as having more feel at the top and bottom of the stroke, which is better for priming, but harder for sizing.

I own both and use them for the roles where they shine, RC for sizing and Lee Classic for priming and seating.

Char-Gar
11-24-2014, 10:28 AM
When priming on the press, I prefer the old upstroke Pacific due to the feel is gives. But if a fellow is paying attention, he can use even the big RCBS A2 and not crush the primer.

Doc Highwall
11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
When a press gets to the top of it's stroke or TDC it has tremendous force meaning your feel is short changed.

When I set up the ram prime unit using cases with uniformed primer pockets, I slowly screw down the 7/8-14 die (.0714" travel per full turn) till I can see that the primer is below flush, then I set the lock ring to hold that depth. You have to make sure you use the same shell holder as there are a slight variation in them. For a fine adjustment you could use shims under the lock ring. I know this is bordering on being anal but it is a variable in our reloading that can be controlled.

Char-Gar
11-24-2014, 12:38 PM
When a press gets to the top of it's stroke or TDC it has tremendous force meaning your feel is short changed.

When I set up the ram prime unit using cases with uniformed primer pockets, I slowly screw down the 7/8-14 die (.0714" travel per full turn) till I can see that the primer is below flush, then I set the lock ring to hold that depth. You have to make sure you use the same shell holder as there are a slight variation in them. For a fine adjustment you could use shims under the lock ring. I know this is bordering on being anal but it is a variable in our reloading that can be controlled.

I have noticed in life that just about everybody thinks they way to do things is the best way to do it. That seems to be pretty set in human nature. That aside, I prime with many different tools and in over 55 years of handloading have never damaged a primer in seating, so I am not convinced there is a better way to do this. Just about any of the methods will produce good results if a fellow is careful and pays attention to the seating of each primer.

There has been lots of reloading gizmos and gadgets that have come on the market since 1958 when I got started and each one of them claim to be an improvement. Most of them work just fine and create profit for the makers and sellers of such things, But most really don't change the alignment of the stars and planets as far as producing high quality reloads go. When it is comes to producing high quality reloads the man is far more important that the hardware. Good hardware helps, but it won't replace knowledge and skill with the tools.

Taylor810
11-26-2014, 03:04 PM
I prime on my Lee Challenger press

DavZee
11-26-2014, 09:27 PM
I prime rifle cases and small batches of pistol cases on my Hornady single stage. The primer feed system works great.

skyegod
11-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Nope, I have 3 Lee hand Primers, and use those

Drdarrin
11-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I haven't primed on my single stage for a couple years now; since I bought my RCBS hand primer.
Still have several primer arms, all of the sleeves and the auto primer feed & tubes pictured in the OP. Just don't use them any longer.

bbqncigars
11-26-2014, 10:33 PM
The only ram priming I do is on my uniformed 50BMG cases. AFAIK there is no 'hand primer' for this round. The fifty is unique in that a certain amount of primer 'crush' (.050") is recommended to seat it. This turns a rounded primer to mostly flattened. The best way I've found to do this is by using dual stop collars on the Lee ram prime shaft. Judicious use of feeler gauges can give a repeatable amount of crush in uniformed pockets. Lesser rounds do not merit such attention. ;-)

44Vaquero
11-27-2014, 12:02 AM
I also prime on my Tri-Line Jr., and the Lee Turret using the T-Bar!

WallyM3
11-27-2014, 12:07 AM
I also prime on my Tri-Line Jr., and the Lee Turret using the T-Bar!

Great minds... I like your TruLine Jr handle!

I've never seen that "T" bar before now. Where is it installed and how does it work? Looks great.

44Vaquero
11-27-2014, 02:06 AM
The bent handle has a great back story! I happened to have an old Crosman .177 rifle barrel laying on the shelf, it was exactly the same diameter as the original handle. So I shipped it off to my neighbors machine shop the next day, he brought it back bent as seen in the picture. The funny part was they 1st tried to bend it in a 5-ton bottle jack press no luck! They ended up using a something like a 25 ton hydraulic press!! He said the damned thing did not want to bend. The ball is a extra Lee unit I had laying around. The original handle and turret are stored in original box.

The T-Bar priming arm is Old school Lee from their original 3 hole turret press. Back in the days when Re-loaders were not so scared of toughing primers! LOL

WallyM3
11-27-2014, 02:23 AM
Great history. I didn't try to bend the original (which may still be 'round here somewhere), but used a length of (probably) drill rod (O-1). I used a bench vise and a section of black iron pipe for the job. The handle (and all the others that I neurotically make for all my presses) makes the operations all so much more effortless. The length of the handle = the leverage (speed) of the ram. I've made three for the CoAx and for the RC. The ball ends are from MSC, the industrial materials supplier.

jeepyj
11-27-2014, 01:48 PM
For whatever reason you all have me wondering... I've been priming on a rockchucker since 1980 and honestly never thought about an "improved method". I just thought it the way the was way Most did it on a single stage. So with being said and the fact that I'm a handgun shooter right now I handle each piece of 3 times. If I was going to use a RCBS or other bench top primer device would I save time by handling the brass a 4th time? Meaning are these bench top machines a real big improvement for the actual priming step.
Jeepyj

Sweetpea
11-27-2014, 02:22 PM
For whatever reason you all have me wondering... I've been priming on a rockchucker since 1980 and honestly never thought about an "improved method". I just thought it the way the was way Most did it on a single stage. So with being said and the fact that I'm a handgun shooter right now I handle each piece of 3 times. If I was going to use a RCBS or other bench top primer device would I save time by handling the brass a 4th time? Meaning are these bench top machines a real big improvement for the actual priming step.
Jeepyj

IMHO, no. As long as you are using carbide dies, size on the upstroke and prime on the downstroke.

A turret press could really speed things up, though...

ukrifleman
11-27-2014, 05:15 PM
I have had a Lyman Spartan single stage press for more years than I care to remember, but these days I only use it to size/gas check bullets and flare case necks.

All other operations are carried out on my Lee Classic turret press, including priming, which is much safer with the Lee safety primer feed than the old, tube fed Lyman system.

ukrifleman

seagiant
11-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Jeepyj

Hi,
If you use a single stage press with a loading block,I would say yes, the RCBS Bench Primer is the cats meow! The "feel" is excellent and it is quick in operation,just a real good mousetrap!

str8wal
11-27-2014, 11:54 PM
I don't see the need for another step. Decap and size on the downstroke and prime on the up. On my Lee turret press I only handle the straightwall case twice because I rotate the turret to expand after prime and then back. It cuts time considerably.

WallyM3
11-28-2014, 12:28 AM
I have found that if my press is adequately lubricated, it presents a contamination hazard to primers.

Then, I don't sense that most folks lube their machinery, so it's not a problem.

(It's amazing what a couple of drops of Way Oil will do to "lighten the load" on the handle. This should tell one much.)

zuke
11-29-2014, 09:28 AM
I picked up an obsolete LEE Auto Prime II for my press priming of 577-450.converted 24 gauge shell's.
I have it set so the primer seat's at the very top of the stroke

oldsagerat
12-15-2014, 03:08 AM
I quit priming on the press whether it was single state or progressive. I now follow this procedure. Deprime brass, tumble
clean, clean primer pocket and flash hole, inspect brass, prime on
an RCBS bench priming tool. I can feel the primer seat and reject
those that are loose or don't seat well. I then put the case upside
down on a wheel with vertical dowels. I then spray lube the cases
on the wheel, let them dry, and put them in a sealed container.
When I am ready to load them I feed them into a Dillon 650 with
the decapping/expanding pin removed from the sizing die. The next die
is a Lyman M type neck expanding die. I moved the powder measure to the third station. The fourth station is a Hornady seating die that is set to not crimp. The fifth station is a crimping
die. This process was set up after 55 years of making all the mistakes I could during reloading. Now it is painless. Oh, I added
a bright LED light to the fourth station so I can inspect the powder
level before I put a bullet in the case. If i am lazy I get 400 rounds
an hour from the press. If I am motivated, I get 600 rounds an hour. It makes the whole process smoother to do the priming before loading cases into the progressive press. Sorry for the long
winded explanation.

Wayne Smith
12-15-2014, 03:59 PM
I just loaded a couple hundred 38 Specials on my TrueLine Jr. priming on the press. I've done it both ways, and usually use the RCBS hand primer seater, but this was fun and going back to the old way.

44Vaquero
12-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Ditto what ▲▲▲ he said!

Garyshome
12-15-2014, 05:09 PM
No, I don't have that much EXTRA time....besides I use a Dillon.