PDA

View Full Version : Is this really worth $80?

5Shot
11-20-2014, 04:23 PM
I have an Ideal Mold Box to sell, and this was what I found when searching for pricing (from Joe Salter Firearms Antiques):

https://giga.joesalter.com/23073/23073-01.jpg

$80 for the box. Mine is just like it.

osteodoc08
11-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Not to me. Maybe someone else.

Tackleberry41
11-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Theres always collectors after stuff like that, but gonna say most guys on here are just looking for functional so wouldn't see to much value in it.

Garyshome
11-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Sell that thing for as much as you can get, then buy something you need!

5Shot
11-20-2014, 05:51 PM
That's the plan, but I didn't want to get laughed out of the S&S Forum!

s mac
11-20-2014, 06:13 PM
I have an Ideal Mold Box to sell, and this was what I found when searching for pricing (from Joe Salter Firearms Antiques):

Is the mould I just bought from you come in a box like that? Just kidding. s mac

5Shot
11-20-2014, 06:16 PM
I checked...doesn't go with any of the molds I have. :bigsmyl2:

John Boy
11-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Send Joe Salter Firearmsan email and ask how long his box has been listed ... if you use his price to sell yours, you'll probably wait a long time too

Springfield
11-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Auction it, then you get what it is worth without getting laughed at.

paul h
11-20-2014, 07:07 PM
I've never understood the appeal of buying empty old containers. I can understand if saved ones from when you grew up or it's something your dad or grandpa used, but I just don't get paying the crazy prices.

Now an old no longer produced quality mold, that's different, that's a quality tool you'll pass on to your kids and grand kids.

fredj338
11-20-2014, 07:10 PM
If someone wants it, its worth whatever I can sell it for. Capitalism at it's finest. Now if you want to take the liberal approach, selling it for more than the poorest guy can afford is criminal & should not be allowed.:veryconfu Collectors will pay stupid amounts of $$ for anything from old baseball cards to dolls to tools to empty boxes, go figure.

Bent Ramrod
11-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Ephemera (boxes, instructions, labels, other paper stuff) can enhance the value of the less perishable guns, moulds, loading tools and other iron and wood stuff dramatically.

Unfortunately, the "Advanced Collector" willing to pay a ridiculous price for such things is often a rarer "collector's item" than the item itself.

I'm not an "Advanced Collector" although occasionally I aspire to be a "Serious Collector." However, I didn't accumulate my collection by paying top dollar for everything. The question I'd ask is:

"Would a run-of-the mine Ideal mould with detachable handles, manufactured by Lyman, typically selling for maybe $35-$50, gain $80 in value by being offered in that box?"

If it's a common cavity in a common caliber, or (especially) if it doesn't match the description written on the end of the box, no. If it was a rare cavity mould and matched the description on the end of the box, maybe, to somebody. But I wouldn't expect to sell it in a weekend at a Gun Show, or in a week on Swapping and Selling.

Ben
11-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Anything is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Most of the people on this forum seem ( at least to me ) to be everyday , down to earth, practical people.

Hence, most of us cast with a mold not a box.

Ben

shooterg
11-21-2014, 08:31 PM
I have one of them boxes too - Now I can tell the wife that's why I don't throw it out - too valuable !

Grump
11-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Ephemera (boxes, instructions, labels, other paper stuff) can enhance the value of the less perishable guns, moulds, loading tools and other iron and wood stuff dramatically.

Unfortunately, the "Advanced Collector" willing to pay a ridiculous price for such things is often a rarer "collector's item" than the item itself.

I'm not an "Advanced Collector" although occasionally I aspire to be a "Serious Collector." However, I didn't accumulate my collection by paying top dollar for everything. The question I'd ask is:

"Would a run-of-the mine Ideal mould with detachable handles, manufactured by Lyman, typically selling for maybe $35-$50, gain $80 in value by being offered in that box?"

If it's a common cavity in a common caliber, or (especially) if it doesn't match the description written on the end of the box, no. If it was a rare cavity mould and matched the description on the end of the box, maybe, to somebody. But I wouldn't expect to sell it in a weekend at a Gun Show, or in a week on Swapping and Selling.
[snip]

Why does no one "snip" any more? The prosperity of huge bandwidth and no reason to trip quotes any more???

Anyway, having had a Dad who more than once say "Save that magazine. It's the first one and it might be valuable some day.", I think you hit the truth most succinctly with that.

Like Rizzo or whatever his name was in the motor pool on "MASH", or the always chasing a deal cop on "Hill Street Blues", some people are always looking for the big score. I laugh at GunBroker, which I now use mainly to identify what prices are too much. Everyone thinks their **** is gold! What percentage of auctions end without a single bid???

Yeah, finding one of THOSE collectors is the big score. Saw one multi-cavity round ball mould that's a bit more than 100 years old on an antiques dealer site a few weeks ago...$175! A little more searching and I found one that actually SOLD...for $125 and I think it was 4-5 years ago, so I guess the high-falutin' antiques guy was not that far off.

So who wants to buy an old empty steel DuPont era can for ORIGINAL Hi-Skor powder??? I finally finished it off about two months ago...

I have two boxes from I think the mid or late 1960s, Sierra .30 Caliber Match Kings, and they still have bullets in them! One is full, the other about 80-ish. Worth more because of the box???

But yeah, a Civil War-era rifle will carry a premium if it has an original cartridge box or other accoutrements with it.

Grump
11-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey, those 4 asterisks were a C-word for dookie- oop, not the S-word!!! Gee Whiz, we really ARE taking the high road here, eh?

Let's see what happens with this...Rap on, though I think your music is rap...

5Shot
11-21-2014, 09:02 PM
You can't say **** on here, but you can say crappy!

JSnover
11-21-2014, 09:44 PM

True. It depends on how badly you need the cash or how fast you want to move the item. My grandfather bought a 1917 Endield when he was a teenager. 20 years after he died, we cleaned the attic and found the notification from the post office to pick up his rifle. It's just a piece of paper but we were all surprised. The rifle and the note are in my uncles collection.

MtGun44
11-22-2014, 04:37 AM
A thing is worth *exactly* what someone else will pay for it. Always.
Personally, I wouldn't pay $5 for it.

Bill

TXGunNut
11-23-2014, 12:35 PM
I guess things like that mould box are what makes auction sites good entertainment. I don't understand the collectibles market, seems pretty silly to me but I enjoy looking at them from time to time. The collectibles market has inspired many packrats but look at all the precious landfill space we're saving!
To answer your question I might buy that box....if it contained a mould I wanted.

StratsMan
11-23-2014, 01:56 PM
I have one of those boxes, though one corner has let go... Probably hurts the collector value, but I also have the mold and handles that go in it... and Yes, it is correctly marked...

So, what mold does it say was in that box???

5Shot
11-24-2014, 03:58 PM
329295 best I can make out on the box...

Rompin Ruger
11-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Collectors like boxes...or so it seems. I see the many good points presented here and just reading here is always a great education...thanks!

In another arena, I once dabbled in Lionel trains. I've seen people pay $100 or more for a plain box..the brown paper box.that a full train SET was shipped in to the store! ???? Amazing.

The orange and blue car/engine boxes fetched as much...so some enterprising soul could over time, piece together a bunch of odd cards and engine that were in a set, with all "original" boxes (or ones like em) and then put them in a shipping carton so labeled and marked, and get a PREMIUM for the set...wasn't a box set by any stretch of the imagination, but it APPEARED to be, had all the right parts included, and as long as the cars or engines weren't worked on, they passed "original" criteria established by the Train Collectors Assn.

Good luck getting $ for the box! As I found trying to market my folks' antique furnishings, it's worth what someone will pay. Not a penny more!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Is this really worth $80?

My opinion is...
$80 is a premium price, and getting a premium price for a 'collectible' is all about being at the right place at the right time. Now, the chances of it being the right place at the right time for that item in a posting in castboolits S&S is pretty slim.

What I can say, since I'm a Mod, I can tell you it's not against the rules, to have at it, if you like.
Good Luck,
Jon

5Shot
11-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Yeah...I figured is was way high, but it isn't my area of expertise for sure. I'll post it up with a more reasonable price and see what happens.

bangerjim
11-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Containers and pasteboard boxes of vintage and antique items are many times worth MORE that the thing that was in them. I collect a lot of antique items (besides just gun stuff) and relish finding a pristine container with the contents in it and will pay a preimum price for it because of the box.

Containers, especially pasteboard, were many times the 1st thing to be disposed of when the item was procured new.

Get what you can. That price for just the box seems a bit insane. Just like most things that sell on a heated 2 party bidding war on evilbay.

Good luck!

banger

John Boy
11-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Setting on the Marked Down table at a sporting goods store - 3 Ideal/Lyman boxes with handles inside. Price ... $11 per, now on the shelf in the reloading room. If they had a dozen, would have bought all of them

dtknowles
11-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I sold all my Match Box cars with boxes for a pretty penny. I saved some without boxes to remember the times my Dad and I had collecting them. I have little use for boxes as my colleting is for the personal appeal of the item not for its resale value.

I would gladly sell all my mold boxes if someone made it worth my while.

Tim

Rompin Ruger
11-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Setting on the Marked Down table at a sporting goods store - 3 Ideal/Lyman boxes with handles inside. Price ... $11 per, now on the shelf in the reloading room. If they had a dozen, would have bought all of them

ohhhh...green is not a good color for me, but I think I'm a bit GREEN with that dreaded ENVY to have made such a find! And in Joiwsey, too! :bigsmyl2: