PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye load check with light .38 bullet?

wonderwolf
11-20-2014, 02:16 PM
I have avoided adding any new powders to the line up, I think I'm up to like 14 or 15 now. Anyways push came to shove and I've added bullseye to the stable...I've never loaded it but I know the dangers that come with this particularly fast powder and light loads/double charges....I'm more worried about light loads than doubles.

Anyways, I'm looking at loading a 358242 92gr RN in .38 Special with 4.9gr of bullseye.....older books shows thats ok, can go up to 5.2gr or so, newer books don't show anything nearly that low in weight? So what say ye? 4.9 seem ok? actually takes up more volume in the case than I thought it would. I double checked my scale and used the check weights to make sure. Don't want to blow anything up just yet.

Also have a 75gr wadcutter mold on the way, again no data in books except older sharpes book he lists 3.5-5.3gr of bullseye.....seems ok yeah? he lists 1395FPS with 5.3 gr out of a 6" barrel....I won't be pushing it that fast but I'm looking at making it a 50' accuracy load if it stabilizes . Having hand loaded for years and never had bullseye before I'm approaching it with caution even though I use a single stage and use a powder thrower (I'll never load these on my progressive....too paranoid) any input would be helpful as always.

Lead Ringer
11-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I have used a lot of Bullseye powder in both 45ACP and 38Spl. I shoot a little 105gr TC bullet for cowboy action. You might think about starting out with about 3.5gr of BE. That will get you about 800fps +. I have very good accuracy out of my Ruger cowboy revolvers.
Regards,
Ringer

tazman
11-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Here is a page from the newest Lyman load manual listing your boolit(close enough) and several powders including Bullseye. Load is for 38 special.

jeepyj
11-20-2014, 04:40 PM
I have been playing with some light 38s lately here is a photo of the page on that 77 WC from a very old Lyman reference manual I recently used for other hard to find data. Take it for what its worth but the BE load data is a bit lower in this manual.

rintinglen
11-20-2014, 05:37 PM
From personal experience I can say that the 358-101 needs a bit more push to avoid sticking boolits in the bore. I loaded a few using that data from a 1960's Lyman manual-- #44 IIRC. They could and did stick in a longer barrel, 2.o grains gave better grouping and went down range reliably.
For the light 358-242, try 3.3-3.5 grains of bullseye for an easy kicking load for beginners and little folks. You can go lighter, but the variance between POI and POA is pretty large.

wonderwolf
11-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Here is a page from the newest Lyman load manual listing your boolit(close enough) and several powders including Bullseye. Load is for 38 special.

Maybe I should get their load manual esp if it covers more than their cast bullet handbook.....which is a bit of a disappointment.

JEEPYJ that load of 1.5gr of bullseye is tempting to try. May give it a go when I get the mold in production.

Another question I have I guess are what are the factors that lead to a "Detonation" of a load that light and otherwise considered safe?

paul h
11-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Don't be afraid of Bullseye, it's great stuff! I only wish I could find someone that had it in stock to replenish my recently depleted supply :(

Detonation is a poorly understood phenomena and from what I've read it is generally something experienced with slower harder to ignite powders. The risks with bullseye are the same as with any handgun powder, too little and you'll stick the bullet in the barrel, too much and you'll damage your gun.

One should never make a broad statement when it comes to reloading, but in general you can load 3 - 4.5 gr of Bullseye under a cast bullet in the 100-160 gr range in the 38 sp and be good to go. As with all load recommendations from the net, verify with published data.

NC_JEFF
11-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Congratulations on finding ANY Bullseye and prepare to be amazed. After Unique, Bullseye is next on my favorite powder list. I even have some reduced 30-06 loads that I use it for. Double charges are a possibility but there are many powders where this is possible. I progressive load with Bullseye on a regular basis without a problem, loading technique can take care of that for you. I find a lot of loads for Bullseye in Speers manual, especially using cast boolits.
I got my step-son (he is 25yr old) into reloading a year ago........he got stuck on "cowboy" loads using TrailBoss........45Colt, Schofields etc...now he is growing into more standard pressure loads and pistol powder is almost impossible to find right now......I have all his Christmas gifts already and they all are various things to enhance his reloading experience......the final thing I want to give him is a good "allround" powder and his gifts from me are complete.......Well, the only pistol powder I have been able to find in the last few months was a pound of Bullseye.....you have no idea how much I want to locate a different powder and keep the Bullseye for me. So put me down as a Bullseye fanatic, if you dont like it I'll trade you a pound of your favorite for it.

Congrats again and enjoy.

tazman
11-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Maybe I should get their load manual esp if it covers more than their cast bullet handbook.....which is a bit of a disappointment.

That same load is listed in the Lyman 4th edition cast bullet handbook and the 3rd edition Pistol & revolver book.

bedbugbilly
11-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook - 3rd edition lists a 93 gr round nose in 38 spl. Minimum is 3.3 gr for 765 FPS and Maximum is 5.3 gr for 1110 FPS.

I shoot a lot of Bulls Eye in 38s - not only 38 Spl but 38 Colt Short & Long. Maybe I'm a little conservative here but I don't like wasting powder either. The closest thing I have to your 92 gr lead RN is Lee's 105 gr SWC. I load them at less than the 3.3 gr minimum for the 93 gr. I started out at around 2.8 gr and now use 3.0 gr of BE in the 38 Spl. I've shot them out of barrel lengths of 2", 3", 4", 4 3/4", 5" and 6" with no problems and they are a good plinking load out of my 38s at 25 yards or less. No leading problems at all. YMMV but I'd start on the lower side and work your way up and see what works best. Just because a manual gives data that you "can" load 5.3 grains doesn't mean that you "should" - your pistol is going to determine what works best.

A lot of foks are wary of BE because of the little amount of case fill. It's an old stand-by powder that's been around for years. It's like anything else with reloading - you have to keep your mind on what you're doing and stay alert regardless of what powder you are using. I think you'll find that you will get along just fine with it and will probably like it once you've tried it. I use it for my 9mm and even in some of my "cat sneeze" loads in my 8 X 57 Mauser.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with for a load. Enjoy!

dnotarianni
11-21-2014, 10:34 PM
I ran 5.0 with a 100 gr plated in a 38 long colt for steel plates when I ran out of 147s day before a match. Worked fine and felt comparable to my 147s at 4.0 of BE

snoopy
11-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Iuse 3.1 gr starting loads with 158 gr swc , seems a little dirty, does anybody else feel that way?

6bg6ga
11-22-2014, 08:28 AM
1.5 gr seems a bit low and something to bring up a caution flag in my opinion.

paul h
11-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Iuse 3.1 gr starting loads with 158 gr swc , seems a little dirty, does anybody else feel that way?

Bullseye burns dirty at lower charge weights.

Low Budget Shooter
11-22-2014, 07:23 PM
I will admit to turning a 358242 over and loading it flat-side up over 2.0 grains Bullseye. It actually worked just fine. I tried 1.8 grains and that was on the ragged edge---one stuck in the last inch of the 5" barrel. With the bullet loaded right-side-up, 2.5 grains was the minimum that worked well.