PDA

View Full Version : .32/.38 Special, aka .32 SBRR (Short Blackout Rimmed Rook)

Outpost75
11-20-2014, 02:38 AM
John Taylor and I were chatting and he mentioned that he was doing a gun for a customer using .357 Magnum brass necked to .30 cal. using .300 AAC Blackout dies. I pondered my too-long, revolver throated rook rifle and my K32 parts gun and thought, why not do the same thing using .38 Special brass! This should permit ballistics like the .32 H&R Magnum or .32-20, but at mild, standard .38 Special pressures, using modest charges of Bullseye. Again, I have no interest in hot small game loads. My objective is to work up a charge with Bullseye, probably 3.0-3.2 grains which is accurate with a heavy for the caliber, .32 revolver bullet at "Eley Tenex" rifle velocity (1050-1080 fps) and let the revolver velocity fall where it will, probably not much over 800 fps. Quite enough.

Quiet and accurate is the goal.

My plan is to have John shorten a set of Lee .300 Blackout dies by 0.22" and neck down .38 Specials, short-chambering the rook rifle barrel and S&W cylinder with his Blackout reamer stopped short to use the necked down .38 Special cases.

I spoke with Tom at Accurate molds about cutting a mold similar to 31-114D, but heavier, about 130-135 grains, as heavy as will stabilize in a 16" twist barrel at subsonic velocity, which would fill the Blackout throat, and also exploit the K-frame cylinder length, without any intrusion of the bullet base below the short Blackout neck.

The result is the Accurate 31-134D, which is now in the online catalog. It should be a dandy bullet for those wanting a longer slug to seat out in .32 S&W Long brass for use in the 32 H&R Magnum, or in H&R Mag. brass for use in the .327 Federal. Also a dandy small game bullet for the .303 British with a nose long enough to feed!Attached Image (viewed 69 times):

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/attachment.php?id=5242