PDA

View Full Version : newby lube question

hornsurgeon
02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
just getting into casting but have been loading for years. i plan on casting for 22 hornet, a wildcat 375x284, and if i can find a mold 9.3x57. i will be using ww plus 2% tin. my question is on lube. what is the difference in all the lubes for smokless powders? i have lee liquid alox and have made a batch of felix lube, but was wondering what might be my best bet for commercial lube. i plan on keeping the hornet under 2000fps and the 375x284 under 2400fps. also, i would be panlubing, as i have no sizer.

Bass Ackward
02-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Lube is sortta like a marriage. You got to grow together and sometimes it just don't work out. I shoot very few guns these days, but what get's shot, gets shot. As the guns go through their life cycle, I find that what used to work well, becomes an issue. Bullet design plays a strong part in this too.

What you have should handle most of what your mind can come up with. If it doesn't, worry about that when you come to that bridge.

kodiak1
02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
hornsurgeon At them speeds you might want to look into Gas Checks.
Ken.

hornsurgeon
02-12-2008, 10:59 PM
the 375 would definately be checked, but the 9.3 i would not as no check is available. the 22 hornet would perferably be unchecked to save on cost (i have 3 kids and myself to keep loaded up for) but i would check if going for anhy velocity over 1000 fps or so, when needed.